maestrabella67

skydiving hang ups

I got really bunged up ankles and knee's from various sports before skydiving, they have been broken/fractured/torn multiple times, surgery+surgery+surgery.

I'm right with everything in skydiving till the last few feet where I have to flare/land.

I got no shame in PLFing even on the most perfect landings., I don't even attempt to stand up at all now.. I told my CI/DZO that from now on I'm just going to roll it in 100% of the time, at least for a VERY LONG time.

I cop a bit of shit about it, so that's my hang up.

... I'm just going to roll it in 100% of the time, at least for a VERY LONG time.

Oh hell. This pisses me off no end.
For the life of me, I cannot figure out WHY anyone would want to give anyone shit about doing PLFs.
Fucking arrogant idiots.

I hope you're not letting that crap get under your skin. Keep up the good work.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

As a student - exit stability. Oh, and relaxing. I was a potato chipper! I was never really a turner or a spinner, but boy did I chip! Just learning to chill out fixed that problem.

To this day - consistent stand-up landings. Taken a couple of canopy control courses, and I stay on a big docile canopy.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

when i was still a student I had problems with a persistent left turn. it took me a lot of ground practice and visualization (and the wise words of an instructor) before it finally clicked.

right now im hung up on accuracy...i seem to always overshoot my target but im workin on that!

I just did a Level 4-7 with a 21 YO, very tall, very athletic student this weekend. He flew through each level with just minor corrections and adjustments. Anything I taught him on the ground he put into practice on the very next jump. By his last jump he was tongue out, geeking me as he would start off on his tracks. He might have a few slow days, but I don't think he's going to get hung up on anything.B|

Extending my legs enough. I have pretty long legs and was taught to flex the knees too much at first (tandem progression is what they did at the DZ I learned at). Taking your socks off and flying with just your shoes on your feet allows you to feel the breeze and helped me kick that poor habit. :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I had a horrible spinning problem so I finally went to the wind tunnel to fix that. Then I had to overcome my unbearable fear of freefall. I just didn't like that feeling. It's hard to explain. What I found out was some of that anxiety went away when I got my full face helmet. I think it was the wind noise that bothered me. Also, I found taking deep breaths helps a lot. I still get nervous but it's not as bad as it was.
"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

funny, i think the wind is one of the best things in skydiving, altough the breathing was kind of a problem on the first two jumps for me. i'd want to go with no googles and no helmet! :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Definitely not, I want to keep jumping so I'll keep flying those massive canopies and PLFing.

funny, i think the wind is one of the best things in skydiving

Yeah I love the wind, I did my first solo's yesterday, finally got to look straight down (instead of at the instructor(s)) and cop the entire freefall in the face...

Never had any problems once the canopy was open but I couldn't arch for crap in freefall. Failed so many jumps for that.

On my final checkout jump to get my solo cert I had to do an intentionally unstable exit. That one jump I think I finally "got it". Sometimes us technically minded people have to let go the over-think and just "feel" it.

-Michael

Oh, and relaxing. I was a potato chipper! I was never really a turner or a spinner, but boy did I chip!

Sorry for the lame question, what is a potato chipper? Is it too stiff?? no arch? I think I might be one of those! [:/]

Basically it's no arch.. where you rock back and forth.. kinda like a potato chip...
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

I was a little bit of a potato chipper at first. My biggest problem was my arch. I had such a problem keeping my pelvis down, and my legs up. I was always in some form of forward movement. Made the instructors have to work to stay with me. Once I graduated to solos, I finally got it, and now I think I have amazing freefall control.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

... I'm just going to roll it in 100% of the time, at least for a VERY LONG time.

Oh hell. This pisses me off no end.
For the life of me, I cannot figure out WHY anyone would want to give anyone shit about doing PLFs.
Fucking arrogant idiots.

Ditto.

Zhills locals know Max. I have no idea how old he is, but he had all kinds of recognition over the years.

Max had one leg a little shorter than the other and did a PLF on every jump. He probably did more jumps a year than I do.

If someone is taking care of their self with a good PLF, then it is nobody else's f-in business.
:)

Opening time. I'm still hung up on it. [:/]

I had alot of trouble relaxing and lots of fear the first 4 jumps, had to repeat Level 4 once, but thanks to Cesar at Elsinore and his awesome "dont let me stick this quater up your ass trick" something clicked on my 2nd attempt at level 4 and it was much easier for a while.

Recently on jump 48 I had a hard pull, resulting in a somewhat low pull for my experience level (3k not really low, but considering what happened it was) I deployed in a somewhat fast spin, thinking it was only an unstowed brake, I attempted to release the left brake but could not, nor could I stop the spin, so I had to cutaway. It was a knotted brake line, but I realize now, I spent to long trying to fix the problem.

It all turned out ok but since then I have had 2 hard openings (1 today) and I am starting to experience alot of anxiety just prior to pull time and lately have wanted to pull much earlier once in freefall than I had "planned" to, so far I have resisted the urge but its a cruddy feeling.

Also my landings are not always stand-up, but with the exception of disliking the dirt and stickers, I will take an ugly PLF over a broken leg ANY DAY... PLFS ROCK! imo

but yeah the opening anxiety is kicking my ass lately

edit: btw I had real trouble with stable exits till about jump 35 or so.....I worked hard on exits and now its my favorite part of the jump

lmao did you just want one example?

cya,
Steve

Oh, and relaxing. I was a potato chipper! I was never really a turner or a spinner, but boy did I chip!

Sorry for the lame question, what is a potato chipper? Is it too stiff?? no arch? I think I might be one of those! [:/]

If you relax in a belly to earth position the wind will blow you into a stable (but not necessarily horizontally stationary) position. 190+ pounds of force on a 170 pound guy (or even 120 pounds on a 100 pound girl) is going to bend you in the right direction.

Similarly, relaxing on your back will leave you in a stable (but not necessarily horizontally stationary) back-to-earth position.

Just arching is probably easier to "do" than the "not doing" which gets you to relax.

According to my AFF instructors, almost everybody who jumps ran into some kind of hang up or difficulty they had to overcome somewhere along the line while learning... what was your "hang up" and how did you overcome it?

I don't really get head-down flying and it took me a few hours in the tunnel to manage back flying.

Finishing AFF in 7 jumps and solid sit-flying skills did not help either orientation.