kashton

I'm New, looking for the right jump

Hi

I just turned 23, I work as a Paramedic in Texas, and for some reason started researching skydiving. It has never been something I have truly considered doing until now as I am scared of heights. I have done two "free-fall" rides at amusement parks where you are strapped to a harness and pull a cord and free fall for a few seconds before you start swinging. I remember the fall as such a rush. I can't even imagine how fun skydiving must be. Anyways, I called a friend and he wants to go to. This is something I HAVE to do and I don't know exactly why. It feels like a swim meet to me, before it, I want to do it and I know it will be exhilerating, but it gives me butterflies, and I just want to get it over with.

Which would be best for me? A tandem or AFF? I want to be free falling for at least 50 seconds. On the first for AFF are you still attached to someone else like tandem? I may do this many times depending on what the first one is like.

I will research this more but I would love some wisdom shared =)

Thank you for your time,
Kevin
That John Denver's full of s**t man...

It's a great day to be alive

Hi

I just turned 23, and for some reason started researching skydiving. It has never been something I have truly considered doing until now as I am scared of heights. I have done two "free-fall" rides at amusement parks where you are strapped to a harness and pull a cord and free fall for a few seconds before you start swinging. I remember the fall as such a rush. I can't even imagine how fun skydiving must be. Anyways, I called a friend and he wants to go to. This is something I HAVE to do and I don't know exactly why. It feels like a swim meet to me, before it, I want to do it and I know it will be exhilerating, but it gives me butterflies, and I just want to get it over with.

Which would be best for me? A tandem or AFF? I want to be free falling for at least 50 seconds. On the first for AFF are you still attached to someone else like tandem? I may do this many times depending on what the first one is like.

I will research this more but I would love some wisdom shared =)

Thank you for your time,
Kevin

On the first (and all AFF) you're not attached, but the instructors hold on to you in freefall.
If you've never been skydiving, there are 2 differing views... some say to do a tandem first to see if it's something you might want to continue, others say save your money and go straight to AFF. Personally, I say do the tandem first so you have some exposure to freefall and canopy control. If you do choose the tandem first, let the instructor know beforehand that you're considering going on to AFF and he(she) is more likely to make the canopy portion more of a training jump for you rather than just a ride.
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Skip the tandem and go straight to AFF . . .

It's a bit more expensive, but whether you continue or not, you'll get more satisfaction accomplishment wise out of it, learn much more about skydiving, and actually be able to say you basically made a parachute jump on your own.

NickD :)

did the amusement park thing and decided to try skydiving myself a few years ago. it's highly addictive.

being in austin you're close to some great dropzones. i'd say contact them with your training and 1st jump questions. or better yet go out there hang out, watch, and ask questions.

in my short time as a jumper i've always been able to find people willing to share info and help me learn more.

best of luck!
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Two things in your post stood out for me,

1. You stated "This is something I HAVE to do and I don't know exactly why". That hits close to home for me. When I first got into skydiving I said I got into it for a couple of reasons, after going thru some difficulties in my student progession (the details of which I won't bore you with:| ) one reason still stands out and that is "This is something I HAVE TO DO and I really dont know exactly why".

I really cannot give a reason for going on beyond that. Maybe I need to prove to myself that I am able to make some really good top to bottom skydives which so far up to this point I have not been able to accomplish>:(.

One thing is for sure, I have every intention of succeeding in this sport, no matter how long it might take.

The friends and comraderie that I have found in the short time I have been in this sport are unlike anything I have ever experienced before. Beginner or pro, skydivers share a common bond and for the most part look out for each other. You will find this out yourself when you get involved and start jumping.

2. You said at the end of your post that it "gives me butterflies". The thought of jumping again after a long layoff does the same thing to me and like you, "I just want to get it over with".

Based on my own inexperience to this point, I would agree with the others here who have said do a tandem first. Some dz's actually require you to do a tandem first (my current home dz has that requirment).

I would venture as to say your going to love this sport and if you stay with it you will find that it is going to affect your life in so many beautiful, positive and wonderful ways that you are going to ask yourself "why didn't I get involved sooner", I have asked myself that question more than once.

Good Luck and keep us updated!:)

1. You will not feel the same butterflies as in the amusement park ride. It feels somewhat different.

2. If you want to skydive regularly, skip the tandem.
If it's just a one time deal, tandem might be the thing for you as you won't be distracted by drills and gasps and other exercises you have to do during AFF. You will miss out on landing the canopy yourself though.

like it's been mentioned, most people start with a tandem to decide whether it is something they are interested in doing or not. your attitude sounds like you've already made the decision to be more involved.

personally, i know that even before i made my tandem i already knew i wanted to be a skydiver and probably should have started with AFF anyways. the advantage of a tandem though is to just "enjoy the ride". it tends to be more sensory overload your first time.

Thank you for all of the responses. I went down to a great DZ today about 45 minutes away from where I live and I learned quite a bit, it was great to meet everyone there. Everyone was very enthusiastic about the sport and would answer any questions I had. I went to see the airplane up close with an instructor and he showed me what I would be doing on my AFF runs. I was very excited just being at the DZ. I put on one of the student's packs and that may have been my favorite part, I felt like I was about to fly up and do my first jump. I watched about 10 people skydive and land easily, which was great because the landing was my main fear - besides.. looking down 11,000 feet out of an open airplane window for the first time.

I will hopefully be doing my first jump this Saturday in the AFF program! I am just ecstatic about it.

looking down 11,000 feet out of an open airplane window for the first time.

It's not the view through a window that is so awesome. It's the view without the window that caught my attention.B| Have fun Saturday. The sky is a great place to play.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

thats awesome man..have fun..skydiving is the best thing that ever happened to me...

its given me hours of joy in the sky..some of the best friends ive ever made...parties like you cant even believe..

its somthing that i dont know what i would do without now..have fun on saturday bro..
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

To do a tandem free fall for at least 50 seconds you will need to find a tandem operation that does its tandem jumps from over 14,000 feet.
From 14,000 feet you will only freefall for about 48 seconds.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

WOW. That was AMAZING. I went today and took the AFF first jump course at Skydive Temple. My instructors and everyone else there were just great. They made it a very rewarding experience for me. I had the best time of my life! This sport is incredible, I can easily see myself getting more into it.. and I am going again tomorrow lol, twice

Kevin

I just finished AFF Level's 2 & 3 - tons of fun. I learned quite a bit from level 2, turning and tracking. Everything went smoothly. Will be doing 4/5 soon, I can't get enough of this I want to be there right now