climboutandhang

Jumpsuit or rig?

2nd hand clothing store and a baggy set of coveralls ;) or similar.
If you are a feather weight dont get baggy ones:ph34r:

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Lots of used jumpsuits that can be gotten on the cheap. Depending on your size and fall rate, and which disciplines you prefer, your need for a jump suit will vary. Your need for a rig remains constant. :)
However, if you run across a great deal on a suit that fits you and your needs, jump on it.

I have to agree that a rig is of utmost importance. Get one that is "freefly friendly" so you can explore all the freefall orientations (belly, sit, headdown, stand). Utilize a rigger or dealer you trust to help with the used gear. You can always borrow jumpsuits or pick up some coveralls at Goodwill until you can afford custom. I have seen a lot of variety in odd clothes from Goodwill and Salvation Army used for jumping and a lot worked well. Once those jumpers could afford custom, they also knew what colors they wanted in new custom stuff.

Be willing to sacrafice some wants (like $4 coffee and fast food lunches) to save for the brand new custom gear. You'll be glad you did!!!

Having your own jumpsuit won't save you nearly as much mulah as having your own rig. HOWEVER, having a quality jumpsuit that is appropriate to your natural fall rate, flying style, and discipline will save you money too.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

The one piece of equipment that can affect the way you fly more than anything else is a jumpsuit. It should be made to your size and the type of flying you intend on doing. Jmo

Sparky

Yeah, I have to agree with you. I've seen a lot of students waste a lot of jumps trying to learn to fly with ill fitting jumpsuits. Your jumpsuit is a tool and you can't do the job without the proper tool.

Our DZ rents rigs for $10 a jump. Once you figure in the cost of a new container, two parachutes, AAD and reserve repacks, it's not worth buying a new rig for a student. Get your jumpsuit. Learn to fly right.

It's all good to buy a rig, just don't buy one immediately. You'll outgrow it really soon. Plus, you probabaly haven't jumped enough to know what type of main you like. If you do buy, buy used. I've been using rig rentals for 75 jumps now, and just bought a rig. Sure, the rentals cost more, but I knew EXACTLY what I wanted in a rig and I've got an appropriately sized main canopy that I'll be jumping for several hundred jumps at least.

After you get used to a jumpsuit made for you, you're abilities in the air improve dramatically. I'm still new to all this but I can turn circles (literally) around people with similar jump numbers who jump in street clothes.

Nothing wrong with either route you're thinking about. Just don't buy a rig that only holds a huge main you'll outgrow in 40 jumps. I've seen other new jumpers do just that and it ends up costing them waaaay more in the long run.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

How does the jumpsuit effect your flying?
if someone can be stable in freefall in jeans and a tshirt
how can that be improved with a jumpsuit?
thanks.

It's not so much about stability, but about fall rate and about having consistency. If you're wearing something that makes you fall fast on one jump and something that makes you fall slow on the next, it will take you longer to learn to control your fall rate. If you're wearing something that's inappropriate for your natural fall rate, you'll spend all your time fighting that and won't be able to focus on other aspects of your flying.

If I had to borrow either a rig or a jumpsuit I'd choose to wear my own jumpsuit and borrow the rig. The tight fit and nylon front of my jumpsuit help me a lot. But if I were a different size/shape where fall rate wasn't a concern, it might not matter so much.

What's your fall rate? Do you fall too fast? Too slow? A properly fitted jumpsuit can help slow you down or speed you up.
Your jumpsuit can help you make turns easier, track easier, it's like power steering in a car. With your booties act like rudders on an airplane and makes all those leg movements that much better. Instead of getting nowhere with your legs fully extended you'll only have to stick your legs down a little bit and go zooming across the sky. Hey! How about if you want to jump with friends? Do you have grips so they can take a grip? I haven't seen street clothes with those yet. Ya might need a jumpsuit. ;) It's the tool you need to do the job properly. Sure you can pound a nail in with a rock, but a hammer is going to do a much better job and ruin a lot less skydives, I mean nails.

Long sleeve t-shirt and BDU pants. Camo hides the dirt, and tuck the shirt in while wearing a belt. If you can fly your body like that when you get a jumpsuit made for you you will be amazing
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Damn 10 a jump that's cheap. I will not say what my local DZ charges for a rental, except to say it cost me 70 for a jump plus rig when I was still renting
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

"Do you have grips so they can take a grip? I haven't seen street clothes with those yet."

I saw this skinny little guy jumping at Zhills over the winter that had grips sewn on his jeans. They had contrasting colored binding tape and everything!
I'm behind the bar at Sloppy Joe's....See ya in the Keys!

Muff 4313