kscott904

when did start skydiving

yea but being a college student where did ya get hte money from

maybe he also had a job - it's something college students used to do when mommy and daddy didn't foot the bill;)

21, in college, working full time and taking full time classes simultaneously, lived in squalor with other skydivers, ate really cheap

It wasn't so expensive then, and static line was more prevalent, but I still pretty much covered expenses and gave the rest to the DZO

Took a loan for the first used rig (this one saw 3 world records (90, 100, 120), had exposed risers, etc, was on two Wally Gubbin's vids). Paid it off early. Could still save enough working in a pizza joint to buy a new rig (yes, left college with two rigs) and get a car. Money management and working is an amazing combination.

yadda,.... same story as most of us 20 years ago

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Started 3 years ago when I was 14. So obviously was still living mostly on someone elses money. Lots and lots of packing paid for my static line course and pretty much my rig. After that I jumped and packed as much as I could afford for a year. Then started doing video for the dropzone. I got my jumps paid for and bonus money for fun jumping. When I turn 18 this coming up winter I will have every rating. This could be used as a way for working through college too.
Na' Cho' Cheese

did AFF level 1 for/on my 35th birthday. hope to be real close to 300 jumps by my 38th.

"whats a man to do?" you ask.
do what alot of us do for jump money: save up, sacrifice non-essentials, work overtime, and buy generic.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

First Military Jump - 1980
First skydive -1981 23 y/o.

Static Line for both. When transitioning to skydiving, I had to unlearn some military habits, but the gear was roughly the same.

I bought a ParaCommander as my first rig with a stop watch as my altimeter for $350.00.
It was still a lot of money for a then broke dick soldier.
The FJC and my first five jumps cost me $125.00
The FJC was MUCH longer in those days.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Met the afore mentioned JohnMitchell who was my instructor and he paid for everything after that. 25 years and 4 kids later we are still jumping.

Sounds like HE got a heck of a lot better than a 'break even' deal outta skydiving! ;)B|

Me...started 32 years ago at age 18, S/L @ 2000' for $75.00.

10 jumps later bought a used Pap with a 24' flat, altimeter and 10 years of old Parachutist mags for 300.00.

Did my 1st demo with 22 jumps, into a semi-pro baseball stadium right next to the Mississippi...it was my second jump with smoke. :o:SB|

Jumpmaster rating at 60 jumps, Instructor at 100.

Taught 'just over' 1000 S/L students while attending college...would have stopped at a grand but my G/F asked to learn for her graduation...so it's 1001 survivors! :ph34r:
( not counting tandems )

Through creative sleight of hand and various applications of 'Smoke & Mirrors'...skydiving has pretty much always paid for itself.
I mean heck, last weeks left coast adventure visiting Elsinore, Perris & Skydive San Diego...is a tax write off for training. >:(:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Met the afore mentioned JohnMitchell who was my instructor and he paid for everything after that. 25 years and 4 kids later we are still jumping.

Sounds like HE got a heck of a lot better than a 'break even' deal outta skydiving! ;)B|

Well, that depends on how you look at it I guess. Some days he might feel otherwise. :D He does get free jumpsuits! Hopefully that makes up for it a little bit. B|

i want to start AFF but dont have the cash flow right yet, whats a man to do? :(

Get a job or a second job if you find that you want to be a skydiver. You will find a way if you want it bad enough. My guess is one trip out the door and you will be hooked!

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

He does get free jumpsuits!

We've had this discussion before.....

as the husband of a suit maker, I just find that comment cute

Oh, we PAY. we PAY...

After industrial machines, a new floor, work lighting, work tables, raw materials, I think my first 3 suits averaged a bit over $3000 each. But at least they were "free"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Oh yeah! :D:D

Good thing I'm an okay carpenter. I was able to build all the tables, cabinets, and work benches. Things didn't get really expensive until the industrial embroidery machine was purchased.:S Made the Juki walking foot machine seem pretty cheap.:D

Okay, done hijacking the thread.:)

Okay, done hijacking the thread.:)

Well, I'm not done hijacking this thread yet... I sell my jumpsuits to a lot of people which has put all the money plus some back into the bank account. And long ago I might add since I've been doing it for like 15 years or so. Therefore I'm going to have to say that all the suits I make him, and he has many of them, are free. :)
I do make him pay for them in other ways but that is for me to know about. :$:D

OK, Now I'm done hijacking the thread. As you were. :)

right on! and IMHO i think that you should do what you love (well will love, for me in a few weeks) in life and nothing should matter. maybe ill start going by that mottoB|

Amen to that one!! Its like that line from that movie Little Miss Sunshine: "Do what you love and fuck the rest"! Life is too short not too!! ;)
"Sex.... It's just like cuddling - only damper."
Flying Hellfish#695
Muff Brother#3885
Rodriguez Brother#1526-Tronca Rodriguez

First static line with round and belly reserve at year 18.
First square at jump 25.
First demo around jump 150 at local mall parking lot.
Money was an issue through college, so I didn`t jump so often as I wanted.
Now, packing and doing video provide most of the money for jumps.
Paycheck provides for gear and fun ones.

jump smiling!
dudeist skydiver #42

I did my first tandem when I was 53. That was 11 years and 2300 skydives ago.
My current brother in law hounded me to try a tandem and I only did it to get him off my back.
I have done video for 4 way teams at the last 4 Nationals, been on the current POP'S 113 way world record, and the just completed SOS world record of a 43 way.
I am a retired high school math teacher and enjoy traveling around the country jumping on record attempts
I missed all of the round canopy hard landings.
I wish I could have started earlier in life, but I would not have been able to afford it at that time.
You are only as good as you think you are.

Well, I'm not done hijacking this thread yet...

just for clarification i Said

1 - "I pay, OH I pay"
2 - some money thing

Those are 2 different things, not one :P

You and Kim should talk sometime - suitmakers are cool.
(actually, after only a couple 'official' years, I think we've passed the break even point - pretty cool, small business startups are usually longer term than that - and you were right, the embroidery is better business than suitmaking, but she likes making the suits more)