Ronaldo

MEL (Skyworks Rigging)

Hi folks,
I've been trying to contact Mel (Skyworks Rigging) for a month without success (by mail and phone). Does anybody know where he is?
Blue skies

Ronaldo
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

I e-mailed Patel at Icarus (Spain) and he told me that MEL apparently has left the rigging business. He is supposedly passing it to a friend and this guy is not supported as an Icarus rigger. They moved all material (linesets, patches, etc) from Skyworks to Chicago Service Center.
The problem is that I sent a canopy to him about a month ago to perform an H-mod and I have absolutely no idea of what the situation is or even if he received it.
If you have the contact of this new guy I'd really appreciate if you could forward it to me.
Thanks

Ronaldo
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

From personal experience Mel is a great guy, but seems a very busy one, I had several Icarus canopies and hated the time for a re-line did it twice with Mel, the second time he did not charge me due to the same issue you have now.

When purchasing a canopy now I consider costumer service first, I still believe Icarus have a great product.

Good luck
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

Hi folks,
I really hate to use the public forums to solve personal problems but I have no other place to go. It's been more than a month without being able to contact Skyworks (phone and e-mail). I also tried to contact PeteS (who was supposedly working with MEL) without success. I sent a canopy to Skyworks to have an H-mod done and up to now I have no idea if it was even received at the loft. The last information I have from MEL is that the service would cost $150 and would take only a couple of hours. It's been more than a month now. UPS tracking says it was delivered so I'm assuming there was someone at the time to receive the package. My credit card was not charged so apparently no action was taken. I'd appreciate if someone could forward any contact information for MEL or this new guy at Skyworks
Thanks

Ronaldo

I take it you're in Brazil? ... so maybe you can't, but isn't there someone that can go over to Mel's place, knock on his door and ask him "what up?" I'm not saying to give him a woopin' or anything and preferably someone who knows Mel and he knows, but it would seem a reasonable thing to do... wouldn't it??

This isn't new. I like MEL, but he has done this before. His day job involves traveling out of state for extended periods of time. When this happens he seems to leave everything sitting. People are supposed to be contacted and gear sent back but last time I know that didn't happen for some people.

As to getting out of rigging, I doubt it. And Para Concepts at Skydive Chicago was a second Icarus service site. http://para-concepts.com/ Maybe MEL had stopped servicing Icarus and sent stuff to Kirk but I hadn't heard that.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hi Ronaldo,

I cannot help you with Mark Lancaster.

To locate Pete Swan just google The Parachute Center. They can put you in touch with him.

However, going by what you have posted, I doubt that Pete can help; but it might be worth a try. Better than doing nothing else.

JerryBaumchen

Yes, I'm in Brazil, unfortunately I have friends only in Deland, NJ and San Diego, none in SC. Sure, it would be extremely helpful to have someone doing this for me.
Thanks

Hi Terry,
The information about getting out of the business came from Patel (Icarus) but he did not confirm (I think it was something he heard) so it may not be 100% true.
I wouldn't mind waiting long periods to get the service done as long as I knew what was going on (which I don't).
Thanks

To the OP:
What are you trying to have done my Mel? Is it a line set? If so, I recommend contacting JR Sides at Chambersburg Skydiving Center. He met with Mel a few months ago and learned all the latest and greatest techniques for making lines sets. He can make a lineset for pretty much anything, including the Cobalt that I see you have (I have a Space).

JR made a lineset and a slider mod for my canopy last weekend and the workmanship was excellent, and very quick. He is reliable and will not disappear. He is also a good source for just about anything that you need done.

...Well, you have a countryman not too far from where Mark Lancaster has his shop.

Gus Marinho of Rigging Solutions. He has a website....

Gus doesn't live/work there anymore. He works for Mirage in Deland now.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I'm not sure what's going on with Mel. I've used him in the past and I've never had a problem. In fact he was quick to get stuff turned around and out the door.
Whatever is going on isn't too responsible and reflects poorly on Icarus. Although they've disassociated themselves from him some people still don't have the word.
It's really too bad because of the Icarus supported rigging lofts (para concepts) he was willing to tweak and adjust and modify whereas Para Concepts will only do it "by the book" so to speak.

To Mel:
I can't imagine you Mel somewhere in your field of work outside of rigging where you don't have access to your email or this forum. You came back last time after a long hiatus and said this would never happen again. "The logistics were worked out" or so you said.
Come on man....we supported you for a long time please step up to the plate and at least return the equipment to these people so they can move on.

Hi Ronaldo,

Well, you have a countryman not too far from where Mark Lancaster has his shop.

Gus Marinho of Rigging Solutions. He has a website.

It might be worth a try to contact Gus and see if he could do anything for you.

JerryBaumchen

He works now at Mirage System as quality controler, so I think he left its rigging loft.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

Hasn't logged in since 4/20. Usually means he's off on his day job on an out of town assignment.

Exactly. It is no secret that Mark has another job obligation. He has mentioned before that he was on a 3 week assignment that ended up taking 3 months.

He posted a couple notes:

PUBLIC NOTE(1)

If anyone else has an issue, concern, or comment please contact me before I leave here on January 3, 2008

PUBLIC NOTE(2):
I will be gone for the next couple of months again, so please do not send anthing to Skyworks. I will make an annoucement here on these forums as to when I will return.

Sincerely,
MEL

He most likely got called on another assignment.

If you have work that you want done by Mark, perhaps you should expect to wait and have back-up gear to use until he can get to it. In my opinion, he does great work that is worth the wait.

Writing to him on this forum that he can't read or have access to isn't going to make him magically appear.

I know Mark, and when he is back and aware of the issues, he will address them.

To the OP:
What are you trying to have done my Mel? Is it a line set? If so, I recommend contacting JR Sides at Chambersburg Skydiving Center.

I asked MEL to do an H-mod on a used Cobalt 135 I bought. The canopy is already there (so I hope) thus I don't have the option to choose someone else.

He met with Mel a few months ago and learned all the latest and greatest techniques for making lines sets.

Could he be the new guy at Skyworks (if MEL really passed on his business)? I'll try to contact him anyway, thanks

He can make a lineset for pretty much anything, including the Cobalt that I see you have (I have a Space).

I'll make my line set (I made the continuos HMA lineset for the Cobalt150 I'm currently jumping) but that's another story

JR made a lineset and a slider mod for my canopy last weekend and the workmanship was excellent, and very quick. He is reliable and will not disappear. He is also a good source for just about anything that you need done.

Thanks, good to know that. I just picked Skyworks because of the good references MEL has inside the skydiving community. I think this situation is just bad luck on my part. Maybe he is out of the office (maybe even out of US) in a place with no mail access. I prefer to believe he will show up in a week or so and settle this down easily.

To Mel:
I can't imagine you Mel somewhere in your field of work outside of rigging where you don't have access to your email or this forum. You came back last time after a long hiatus and said this would never happen again. "The logistics were worked out" or so you said.
Come on man....we supported you for a long time please step up to the plate and at least return the equipment to these people so they can move on.

I work in the field That Mel is performing some contracting in as a customer. When this type of work comes up it has time sensitive window to get it done or else. The contractors go in are tied to their cell phones and laptops. Working very long hours. Dealing with unforseen issues. Living out of hotel rooms. Taking calls into the late hours, early start times. No weekends or holidays off. Writing reports in their spare time, of which there is none. Don't forget about dealing with the old lady at home who will always have an earful for you. Some of these guys never sleep. I'm sure he has access to his laptop but I doubt he has a spare second for non contracted work related email.

I waited six months for my H-mod ( not from Mel). When you get it you will love the mod.