ShadowCount

Popping the brakes during deployment

I wouldn't do it.

However. Say you deploy and during the snivel you see a canopy deploying in front of you. You'd want to get at the toggles as soon as possible I guess. So this is only useful when the canopy is fully inflated?

There are eight controls you can use to steer your canopy... I'll let you work out what they are for yourself. :P:)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I was always told (from my first packing course, if not my first jump course) that having the breaks set for deployment was to actually force air into the canopy. Without the breaks set, you're likely to get a streamer.

So taking them off during deployment is likely to have a similar effect, as shown in that video.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

There are eight controls you can use to steer your canopy... I'll let you work out what they are for yourself. :P:)

Oh, I know what #1 is....loading-up on beans and cabbage, the night before and using "thrust-vectoring"! :)
"T'was ever thus."

I was always told (from my first packing course, if not my first jump course) that having the breaks set for deployment was to actually force air into the canopy. Without the breaks set, you're likely to get a streamer.

So taking them off during deployment is likely to have a similar effect, as shown in that video.

You were taught that un-set brakes would result in the canopy not coming out of the bag correctly, and/or would be a high speed mal?

I come up with 2 for sure and *maybe* 3
- rear risers. My 1st choise for turn (into the wind or whatever) until I un-stow the brakes.
- brakes.
- weight shift? Maybe works haven't try it and I wont try it during the snivel.

With brakes stowed front risers pressure its impossible.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

You don't need Toggles to steer the canopy.. That is only one of the control modes....

You can use the risers and/or weight shift too.

Dont for get - Do Nothing (Full drive) another valid Control Mode.

So
1 Full drive
2. One Control (part way, full extent or anywhere in between)
3. Both controls together (slo flight mode... Very important)
4. Rears
5. Fronts
6. Weight Shift (Harness)
7. Combination of any of the above

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I come up with 2 for sure and *maybe* 3
- rear risers. My 1st choise for turn (into the wind or whatever) until I un-stow the brakes.
- brakes.
- weight shift? Maybe works haven't try it and I wont try it during the snivel.

With brakes stowed front risers pressure its impossible.

Front risers
Rear risers
Brakes
Harness

I think he is counting left and right as seperate...

Front risers Single = mode 1 Double = mode 2
Rear risers Single = mode 3 Double = mode 4
Brakes Single = mode 5 DOuble = mode 6
Harness = mode 7
Full Drive = mode 8

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Front risers Single = mode 1 Double = mode 2
Rear risers Single = mode 3 Double = mode 4
Brakes Single = mode 5 DOuble = mode 6
Harness = mode 7
Full Drive = mode 8

The 8 inputs that you can use on your canopy are:

Left Front Riser
Right Front Riser
Left Rear Riser
Right Rear Riser
Left Toggle
Right Toggle
Left Harness
Right Harness

The number of things you can do at once is a combination of the above inputs. There are a lot of weird combinations that do some interesting stuff. CRW dogs use some of them! You can also pull on individual lines, but there isn't a whole lot of use for that in 99% of situations.

Anyways, the fastest means of avoiding a collision on opening is to not unstow the brakes and to use one of the other 6 inputs available. For what it's worth, leaning in your harness doesn't work really well with a larger canopy. Feel free to try it though and see what happens.

I have gone from jumping my velocity103 to jumping a Manta288 while working on one of my instructor ratings. It's kinda a weird feeling when you are used to being able to just lean a little bit and start doing spirals.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Left Front Riser
Right Front Riser
Left Rear Riser
Right Rear Riser
Left Toggle
Right Toggle
Left Harness
Right Harness

The jumper in this video steers just fine without using any of those inputs:

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3673

Pulling an outer A/B line does the trick nicely (for our "don't try this at home" file). :)
Dave

What happens if you pop the brakes during deployment?

Are you asking what happens if you release the brakes during a snivel?

If you pull them down evenly and let up at the same time it should make the canopy inflate faster. The nose goes down and the tail goes up. The reason we stow the brakes is because we don't want it to open too fast.

History lesson Before ZP it was common procedure to pop your brakes to stop a snivel. I had a Raven that would snivel for a thousand feet and I jumped a Unit that would probably not open at all unless you popped the brakes.

Some things change but some things don't.

If you pull them down evenly and let up at the same time it should make the canopy inflate faster. The nose goes down and the tail goes up. The reason we stow the brakes is because we don't want it to open too fast.

I've had a different experience. I used to jump a Sabre with the brakes unstowed to get it o snivel more. It full flight it took longer to inflate.

Additionally, I had a Stiletto with an 'older' lineset that was opening too fast. I relocated the cats eye to a lower position on the brake line, and the canopy went back to opening more slowly.

I'm pretty sure that if your canopy is sniveling too long, unstowing the brakes and pulling them down will help to bring the slider down faster. Much like tugging on the back risers will bring a slider down as well (which I do with my Velo on extra low hop n pops where the airspeed is low, and I don't have time for a snivel).

Left Front Riser
Right Front Riser
Left Rear Riser
Right Rear Riser
Left Toggle
Right Toggle
Left Harness
Right Harness

The jumper in this video steers just fine without using any of those inputs:

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3673

Pulling an outer A/B line does the trick nicely (for our "don't try this at home" file). :)
Dave

Are you saying he was doing turns by some other means or by pulling on the a/b lines? I did mention that you can pull on individual lines but given the circumstances of the original question, it wouldn't be the best way to deal with the problem.

:)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka