nakedfool

glass bottom plane

just curious if it would be possible to make a glass bottom plane (plexy glass or something?).

i just got back from mexico and noticed a bunch of glass bottom boats, and thought a glass bottom plane would be pretty sweet...for jumping...

I'd love to see someone try and get an STC for that one........:S
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Steel tube structure with the covering fabric or aluminum. Replacing the covering with lexan is no big deal. Otter has fuel tanks in the belly, Cessnas have cables in the belly and oil on the belly. Fun to think of. Just step out.

Roger, understand the difference between tube and fabric and monocoque construction. Just answering the original poster's question if it would be possible to build a "glass bottom plane".

"Better a has-been than a never-was. Better a never-was than a never-tried-to-be..."

Was that what was at the Nationals in the 80's? I remember something with sliding doors and a plexi bottom.

Kind of weird setting on it for the ride up.:S Even when you were planning on jumping out.

The bombbay door opening under me in the B-17 was pretty cool.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Isn't there a mod to some Cessnas to put "windows" right above the pilot & co-pilot's seats... the if one ver to fly inverted... ;)

Anyway... to the OP... I've been in the open door of an Otter or King air when the pilot rolled the plane up on its left wing (same in a U206, but a roll to the right, since the door is on the other side ;))... that was kinda like being in a glass bottom plane... without the glass! :D

Anything is structurally possible, even a glass-bottomed airplane.
The question is whether you are willing to pay for the modification and the maintenance.
Maintenance-wise, the biggest hassle would be polishing it EVERY morning after a hundred skydivers have dragged their muddy shoes on board.

Probably wiser to install Vista-View windows installed in your Twin Otters ... basically double-sized side windows.
I always found stock Twin Otters to be dark and claustrophobic.

just curious if it would be possible to make a glass bottom plane (plexy glass or something?).

i just got back from mexico and noticed a bunch of glass bottom boats, and thought a glass bottom plane would be pretty sweet...for jumping...

There is a Twin Beech in No.Cal. that was a re-con plane in WW2...it has huge Plexiglas plates in the floor, great for spotting!

Jumped it several times at a demo in Marysville.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~