JohnRich

"Thrill seekers need insurance"

For your info.

News story:
Thrill seekers need insurance

"Speeding high over the Costa Rican jungle on a zip line sounded like a thrilling way for Jerry Shirley of Denver to see the lush tropical terrain around the coastal town of Jaco. All went well until he realized during his fifth ride that the leather gloves he was given to grip the cable were a sorry excuse for a braking system.

"Unable to slow his rapid descent, Shirley slammed into an attendant and a tree at the bottom of the cable, shattering his left leg and ankle. It took three operations, 15 pins and screws and two plates to put Shirley's leg together again.

"The decision to ride the zip line aside, Shirley made at least one smart travel decision: Before leaving the United States, he bought supplemental travel insurance, saving himself as much as $2,000 in out-of-pocket expenses. Shirley's misadventure is a good reminder for all travelers to check their insurance policy before trying a high-risk sport or outdoor adventure trip. Here's a look at what you should consider..."
Source: Houston Chronicle

Well.. how many jumps did it take you to realise the chute is a shitty brake system sometimes too?:P:ph34r:

At least they have those "Stopping Ropes" to pull when you land.

Well.. how many jumps did it take you to realise the chute is a shitty brake system sometimes too?:P:ph34r:

At least they have those "Stopping Ropes" to pull when you land.

Yeah those rope-stopping-thingies work pretty good:ph34r:

I've done that zip line near Jaco.. actually the leather gloves (although ExtREmeLY smelly) work just fine as a braking system if you aren't an idiot. Just a gentle tug on the wire and you come to a complete stop. I smell a Lutz. Worst case I had seen was that people were stopping too early and some had to zip out and get them and pull them in.

I'm surprised however that he wasn't dumb enough to put his hand in front of the mechanism and run it through the gears. That part may be a little dangerous, but not being able to stop...... MORON.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson