pojj

canopys

for a first rig for some one who has done 20 30 jumps and has an a license what manufacture of canopys would have the softest opening forces i no alot depends on pack procedures and slider care but just as a general idea on certain canopy brandsB|

you should run a search. this topic has been debated many many many times before and there are a variety of opinions! everyone has their personal recommendation.

why don't you also talk to people at the DZ. they've seen how you fly and can probably make more personalized recommendation

The two softest openers that I have jumped that would be appropriate for a new jumper (assuming proper sizing) was the Aerodyne Pilot and Icarus Safire 2.

The Crossfire 2 opened even softer with a very long snivel but seeing how it is fully eleptical canopy it doesn't belong in the rig of any new time jumpers.

Your mileage will vary, your best bet is to demo a few canopies of an apropriate type at an apropriate wingloading and see which one you like the best.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Performace Designs has a great demo program to take advantage of along with the run down on flight characteristics on all their canopies. With out ever seeing you fly or know where you are in the whole scheme of things check out the spectre or shillohette (sp) as possibilities. www.performancedesigns.com
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

for a first rig for some one who has done 20 30 jumps and has an a license what manufacture of canopys would have the softest opening forces i no alot depends on pack procedures and slider care but just as a general idea on certain canopy brandsB|

I heard great things about Safire and Spectre openings, they usually go in same sentences with pillow soft openings.

If you really hate fast openings, the Sabre would definitely NOT be the canopy for you. It's fine, just a little brisk, just at the edge of comfort when packed properly, though it was nicer than many uncomfortable Manta 288 student openings for me, moreso from the very good gear fit of my current rig instead of cookiecutter student gear.

i own an omega and that thing has really soft openings, first couple of jumps i was scared because i wasnt used to a canopy sniveling for so long. I love it now and if you are looking for a very soft openings, omegas have to be one of the best.

If you really hate fast openings, the Sabre would definitely NOT be the canopy for you. It's fine, just a little brisk.

I never had too many problems with my Sabre 1, but did get the occasional kicker. But as its an older design, and they havent been built for about 7 years or so now, you're only going to find them on the 2nd hand market.

I dont think any canopy gives hard openings any more, just some are more consistant. I have had a great time with my Pilot, but Ive just been jumping a sabre 2 135 and have had a lovely time (bar 1 instant opening), but I think loading plays a big part.

Afaik, the suitable canopies types for yourself are:
Aerodyne Pilot (have one myself, lovely)
PD Sabre 2 (have just done 50 jumps on one. Comes down quicker than the Pilot, opening lovely too, but not quite as consistant as the pilot)
PD Spectre (the longest and softest opening of any canopy Ive ever jumped, but Ive only jumped them about 5 times)

Canopies I havent jumped:
Icarus Saffire 2
PD Sillhuette (hybrid canopy, so easier to pack)
Aerodyne Triathlon
Icarus Omni (friend had nothing but good things to say about it).

There is also the ZP.exe. Personally I dont like them, but they are cheap and will work, if you dont mind coming down quick and not be able to get back from a long spot.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

This is not directed specifically at you Mdrejhon..

if you dont mind coming down quick and not be able to get back from a long spot.

People always say that. Mind you, not necessarily about this parachute, but it's a totally BS reason not to choose a canopy, or sometimes even a pitiful excuse to downsize. "Yeah, my Spectre 210 cannot carry me far, so i'm downsizing to a sabre2 170 which will glide further". :S

Keep in mind that a student/novice will probably/hopefully get a larger canopy than a swooper with thousands of jumps.

Think about it:
What'll carry me further; a ZP 210 or a Velocity 97?
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I am in no way an expert on this subject but in my own experience with proper packing I have on the majority of my jumps loved the openings on my Aerodyne Triathalon 190 with roughly a 1:1 wing loading. Just my opinion. Take it for what its worth.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.