MADPROPS

new to the sport .. help

any hints would be nice

also after how many jumps should one think about buying there own rig ??

is buying used ok and how much around for a starting rig (the ones i have seen for 1500 for the full set up seem like i would be cheaping out on something that can kill me)

is there laws about selling/buying used rigs (should they be repacked as soon a you get them)

how many jumps around b4 you jump solo

how much does jumping cost when you have your card and how much when you don't

also is any one in alberta that can tell me some school that would be better then others

and anything else you think i need to know

thank you for all your help:)
MAD PROPS
live and let live

also after how many jumps should one think about buying there own rig ??

It sounds like you havent made any jumps yet. Its nothing you need to worry about any time soon. You'll probably know when the time comes. Fow now, just continue using club kit.

is buying used ok and how much around for a starting rig (the ones i have seen for 1500 for the full set up seem like i would be cheaping out on something that can kill me)

There is a very good 2nd hand market in skydiving. Its usually prudent to get a local instructor/rigger to check over any kit before you purchase it, and if possible demo jump it to make sure all is fine. People wont sell dodgy kit. Modern Canopies are often good for more than 1000 jumps if they've been looked after.

is there laws about selling/buying used rigs (should they be repacked as soon a you get them)

Reserves have to be repacked every 120 days in the US (most other countries is 6 months), and all this data is logged so you should know whether it will need doing before buying. Often buying kit with an out of date reserve will get you the cost of a repack knocked off the price.

There are also AADs (automatic activation devices). The Cypres and cypres 2 (the most common types) need to be sent off for a service every 4 years, but again all this is logged and the seller should normally inform the buyer when the next service is due.

how many jumps around b4 you jump solo

You can jump solo (kind of) from jump 1. In AFF the 2 instructors are only holding on to you, and when the parachute is open you're on your own. But some places are putting tandems as the first jump on an AFF course.

There are other methods of learning (static line, IAD) which mean you're solo from jump 1, but without much (if any) freefall.

how much does jumping cost when you have your card and how much when you don't

When you are qualified, tickets cost around $20-25 per jump, depending on the centre. When you dont the jumps are normally much more, because you're hiring kit and paying for an instructor to be there. If you do an aff course package (prices vary, but the cost is a couple of grand) you get several jumps included with all instruction and kit hire.

Hope I helped. Have a good time wherever you go.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

When you are qualified, tickets cost around $20-25 per jump

That may be the price at many places south of the border, but expect to pay a little more in Canada - the OP was asking about Alberta. In Canada, I'd expect to pay around $35 per jump ticket as a licensed skydiver with my own gear.

Where in Alberta are you? I personally know the folks at Eden North and have done a bunch of jumps there during some time out west. Eden North is a great dropzone and they now have a Caravan for the summer, which IMHO makes it even better, but depending on where you are in Alberta, there may be more convenient places for you to go.

That may be the price at many places south of the border, but expect to pay a little more in Canada - the OP was asking about Alberta. In Canada, I'd expect to pay around $35 per jump ticket as a licensed skydiver with my own gear.

Where in Alberta are you? I personally know the folks at Eden North and have done a bunch of jumps there during some time out west. Eden North is a great dropzone and they now have a Caravan for the summer, which IMHO makes it even better, but depending on where you are in Alberta, there may be more convenient places for you to go.

im in medicine hat its in the south east
live and let live

From Medicine Hat, the two closest dropzones would be Beiseker and Didsbury. They're listed in the dropzone database as Alberta Skydivers and Vertical Extreme. You can also find them on the internet. I personally haven't jumped at either of them, so I can't tell you any more than what's in the dropzone database - they look like smaller, cessna dropzones. Some people love smaller dropzones. Me personally... I'm a turbine snob, so I'd be going for the turbine.

Eden North may now be the "bigger" dropzone in the province, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a place with a friendlier vibe. Couple that with great facilities, great people and a great plane, if you can live with the extra couple of hours on the road, it may be well worth it.

Of course, I haven't been to Didsbury or Beiseker. There are a few folks from Alberta who post on here from time to time. Perhaps some of them can weigh in with more on them.

And your reasons for that are....?

The usual reason would be to get out of the sport while you still have your money, your girlfriend and your "real" job. Skydiving tends to be a little addictive. ;)

There are lots of people who sustain 150 jumps a year, have normal financial lives (you can always defray the costs with packing parachutes), a significant other, and "real" job.

You can jump solo (kind of) from jump 1. In AFF the 2 instructors are only holding on to you, and when the parachute is open you're on your own. But some places are putting tandems as the first jump on an AFF course

I didnt realise some DZs were now starting to make a tandem part of the start of AFF.

I really wish that had been available at the DZ Im doing AFF at.
I remember the first jump being such a blur of so much new stuff to remember and perform and experience..
I would have enjoyed it more if I had done a tandem and at least part of the 'what is freefall like' question had been removed from the equation.

There are lots of people who sustain 150 jumps a year, have normal financial lives (you can always defray the costs with packing parachutes), a significant other, and "real" job.

You can add some hundreds to that number. This year is the slowest year I've had for jumping in a long time (4-5 years) and I'm still tossing down some decent jump numbers.

That's with a wife, real job, house payment, working every other weekend, restoring/rebuilding a car...basically its just how bad do you want it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

im in medicine hat its in the south east

From the Hat, Bieseker is the closest DZ .. then Didsbury and Innisfail. To the East, is Moose Jaw.

I jump at Bieseker, it's where I started and has just grown on me, besides, it's the closest DZ to me. I drive up from Medicine Hat almost every weekend (long drive)

Beiseker and Didsbury

These are the only two I've jumped at in Alberta, Dids has a pretty good "club" feel to it but doesn't have the facilitys that Beiseker has, still, has everything you need and is a popular spot.

Beiseker has a more formal feel to it as they host the British Army for part of their Adventure Training program. With that, they have facilitys such as rooms, food (sometimes available to the public) two airplanes, paved runway etc. A lot of new staff this year, Annelise is still there!! very good thing!!

Still, it's the closest to Medicine Hat even though I like Hutch over at Didsbury, it's a time/costs thing.

The usual reason would be to get out of the sport while you still have your money, your girlfriend and your "real" job. Skydiving tends to be a little addictive. ;)

who needs money and jobs ....... i'm doing this for me

so you can have your money and your job

and ill just tell the gf that i'm working out of town lol
live and let live

So - what if I don't have a girlfriend, the "real job" ain't that great, and the money's just gonna get spent on another addiction anyway?

Now...if I could only find a sugar-mama...
(I can cook AND do windows...just saying...):P

Lets not forget Skydive BigSky in Innisfail. That is only twenty min. north on hwy 2. Twenty mins south of Red Deer. I have been jumping there for the last year. It has the close-club feel of Dids and the formal feeling of bigger Dz's as well. They have also invested in a lot of new student gear and tandem gear as well.
I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.