mamajumps

Prescription Goggles?????

I am trying to find out how to go about getting prescription goggles that can withstand the stresses of skydiving. I have figured out that a lot of my doo doo bird landing issues have to do with not being able to see at a distance (I am very near sighted). I right now, I have clear "Overglass" goggles and they work great, but I would to find something along the lines of Gatorz that I can have my optomitrist put prescription lenses in. I dunno if this is even possible. Thanks!

I have an astigmatism in both eyes and cant afford the contacts [:/]

I have astigmatism in one eye and it's so inconvenient. Even Toric contacts aren't always comfortable. Good luck with the prescription goggles. It's a great idea.
Jeanne
Blue Skies, better days, more beer - Oh the humanity - Peace be with you my friend

DON'T TASE ME BRO

you might also find that alot of the goggle/glasses prescriptions will not work either if you have astigmatism. I find that the glasses, especially sport models, do not place the lens in the same angle or distance from your eye. Unless they compensate for the style of glasses, including the wraparound ones, the prescription models suck.

You prescription assumes a flat lens a certain distance in front of your eye with an optical center as well, in front of your pupil. They got to get all that right in the sport glasses as well.

The only ones that ever worked for me were the old 80's racquetball glasses, since they were alot like regular glasses. But they did not offer much wind resistance. Not to mention the dork you would look like wearing them today.

I just wear my glasses, and goggles over them, far too old to be cool anymore.... Contacts just don't work for me, although they did for 20 years, but astigmatism greatly affects the list of lenses that work....

you might also find that alot of the goggle/glasses prescriptions will not work either if you have astigmatism. I find that the glasses, especially sport models, do not place the lens in the same angle or distance from your eye. Unless they compensate for the style of glasses, including the wraparound ones, the prescription models suck.

You prescription assumes a flat lens a certain distance in front of your eye with an optical center as well, in front of your pupil. They got to get all that right in the sport glasses as well.

The only ones that ever worked for me were the old 80's racquetball glasses, since they were alot like regular glasses. But they did not offer much wind resistance. Not to mention the dork you would look like wearing them today.

I just wear my glasses, and goggles over them, far too old to be cool anymore.... Contacts just don't work for me, although they did for 20 years, but astigmatism greatly affects the list of lenses that work....

Sorry to hear you have had so much bad luck with them Tony,
I on the orther hand have had nothing but good luck with Both SportRX goggles (G101) and Presciption Sunglasses.
I have a "mixed astigmatism" in both eyes, and a script for leneses that are 2 steps short of a white cane and labrador.

sprt RX do good work, but i would also talk to you optometrist, and enquire about "wrap Sunnies" I have 2 pair and they both work fine, so to my G101s.
I also have over goggle Flexz, and a full face if needed:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Gatorz does prescription, kinda spendy.

And unfortunately when they do that it voids their warranty. I researched this a couple of years ago and this is why I went with Oakleys. They make their own prescription lenses -and- keep the warranty intact.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Get prescription eyeballs.

I had same issue, was solved quite well with PRK laser surgery.

Skydiving aside, if you have been wearing glasses all of your life, it is an unbelievable feeling of freedom. Something well worth the cost. Think of all the things you will end up spending a couple of grand on. (Especially now since you are in this sport) ... Now think of how much less important those things are to you than your eyes.

Used to be that early laser eye surgery couldn't fix your problem, but unless you are really poor off with your eyes, it may be doable. Get a consult at least.

Think of all the money you'll save on crappy prescription sports glasses. When people rave about how great their prescription sports glasses or goggles are, all they are really raving about is that they are sooooooo great because they don't REALLY suck. That's the reality of sports and bad eyes.

Trust me... at the very least it's worth getting a free consult.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Yeah... I'm on the astigmatism train too. I can't stand to have the contacts in my eye for even five minutes, but for the past few years I have been putting up with them for just a few hours a jumping and as soon as my feet touch the ground from the last jump, before I even take gear off, I'm taking the contacts out.

I had an issue with over the glasses goggles coming off and flying over my head while freeflying, so they are out the windown now. I have seen that sportRX page before, but afraid to commit to goggles/glasses that I can't actually physically check out before I spend the money for them. [:/]

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Stigmatism as well>:(

Love my waycools and v cheap as the lens is an insert so you dont have to worry about curve and you change the lens if your prescription changes. You get a black, clear, and orange covering aswell. Cost me $120 aus to get the lenses done...Bargan!!!

This is the cheapest way and sometimes the only way if they cant fit your prescription on a curved lense ( have had problems with certain models of Oakley).;)

.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

Stigmatism as well>:(

Love my waycools and v cheap as the lens is an insert so you dont have to worry about curve and you change the lens if your prescription changes. You get a black, clear, and orange covering aswell. Cost me $120 aus to get the lenses done...Bargan!!!

This is the cheapest way and sometimes the only way if they cant fit your prescription on a curved lense ( have had problems with certain models of Oakley).;)

Liquid offers the insert as well for that very reason. However, if you really want a one piece, they can have your RX sent to their lens maker and have a set cut to your needs.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

the inserts seem like a good way to go because the one thing about buying one perscription pair of oakleys is a case where if I get them tinted and you're on that sunset load, which sometimes get a little dark when you least expect it, I'll be jumping tinted lenses when I need to be able to see the ground. I guess you could always bust out some cash and go for two pairs: tinted and not tinted, but I would rather go the insert route if it'll take care of the problem for less money.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

the inserts seem like a good way to go because the one thing about buying one perscription pair of oakleys is a case where if I get them tinted and you're on that sunset load, which sometimes get a little dark when you least expect it, .

I have my Wraps tinted with Photochromatic Lenses, they are dark in direct sunlight but clear in shade or twiilight, i never have issues with late loads
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

SportRX are the bomb - they have one model that works to -8 and shedloads of astigmatism (I've got really bad eyes!)

My only caution would be that you will end up with slightly 'bent' vision out of the edges of the goggles if you have high astigmatism, but nothing that you can't learn to live with.