buba07

Controversial insight

I don't know if this is controversial. Maybe. However, i'm just starting on my skydiving journey. I've done ten RAPS jumps and now i've done my first two levels of AFF. I've been down every weekend for the last 6 weeks to progress, however i've missed two days when the weather has been good.

This has been due to the fact ive got two young boys and on one weekend it was my eldest sons birthday. This weekend I went and was told (un-offically) that I am gathering a reputation for not being down when I get the chance to jump. On one occasion one of my AFF instructors didn't turn up as he was hungover, i've not even mentioned this since.

My instructors are very skilled, however it is clear they question my dedication. I want to skydive for the rest of my life, however I didn't pay for a hobby that would lead to me neglecting my kids! The two will be in tandem (pardon the pun!).

Whats wroing with me getting qualified and then jumping for fun in my own time? Isn't this sport about free will and having that 50 secs complete free time. I'm not binning off my family for a group of strangers to give me the thumbs up.
Thanks

Freefallphil.

I am not sure what this reputation stuff is. If you have that reputation, then my friend and I must have a worse one. I took nine months to get my A license. Some was weather, some was a trip out of the country, some was money, some was I have a life, with grandkids to visit and obligations. I would say, go when life lets you, enjoy yourself, and go at the pace life allows.

Another way to show your dedication (I did have this reputation) is to read and study the SIMs and the owner's manuals for the equipment you jump. When I went to the dropzone, my instructors knew I was studying and memorizing cloud clearance and equipment check information. Several coaches and instructors accused me of reading more of that stuff than they had.

There is more to this than jumping out of an airplane.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

I don't know if this is controversial. Maybe. However, i'm just starting on my skydiving journey. I've done ten RAPS jumps and now i've done my first two levels of AFF. I've been down every weekend for the last 6 weeks to progress, however i've missed two days when the weather has been good.

This has been due to the fact ive got two young boys and on one weekend it was my eldest sons birthday. This weekend I went and was told (un-offically) that I am gathering a reputation for not being down when I get the chance to jump. On one occasion one of my AFF instructors didn't turn up as he was hungover, i've not even mentioned this since.

My instructors are very skilled, however it is clear they question my dedication. I want to skydive for the rest of my life, however I didn't pay for a hobby that would lead to me neglecting my kids! The two will be in tandem (pardon the pun!).

Whats wroing with me getting qualified and then jumping for fun in my own time? Isn't this sport about free will and having that 50 secs complete free time. I'm not binning off my family for a group of strangers to give me the thumbs up.

From my limited experience in the sport so far...you need to show dedication and commitment during AFF , firstly to make some friends at the DZ.... which is normally easy as they are a really nice bunch at my DZ
but also to show that you are comitted to the sport and so they will also go that 'extra mile' for you.

It seems to me that its not all about the money at all for all the instructors at my place.
Money is a factor of course (as in they wont give me a free lift ticket!)
but it is such a close knit community and a lot of the instructors literally LIVE on the DZ and therefore have no option but to be on call 364 days a year.

My AFFis have told me (and it really annoys them!) that even on their days off they will often get a frantic phone call saying...

can you do a few lifts as we've got X and Y paying customers here and really need you asap.

ANd make no mistake this is a serious sport, so it pays to be totally comitted at least until you have got your A license and have 'proven' you are at least (hopefully) safe to jump. :ph34r:

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Yes i'm based in the Uk. As I stated my instructors are very skilled. It is a differant mentality but we all have to be open minded. For me I want to qualify and then get back to my day job (teacher) knowing that I have the best hobby in the world.

It just gets on my nerves when they question my dedication to the sport when I am just paying them to show me what I need to know. I've not joined a fraternity, I just want to learn how to jump.

At the end of the day, my kids, wife and job come first. This is my bit of fun. An example being they even tried to make me feel guily for going away for my sons birthday last weekend.

Thanks.
Thanks

Freefallphil.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Yes i'm based in the Uk. As I stated my instructors are very skilled. It is a differant mentality but we all have to be open minded. For me I want to qualify and then get back to my day job (teacher) knowing that I have the best hobby in the world.

It just gets on my nerves when they question my dedication to the sport when I am just paying them to show me what I need to know. I've not joined a fraternity, I just want to learn how to jump.

At the end of the day, my kids, wife and job come first. This is my bit of fun. An example being they even tried to make me feel guily for going away for my sons birthday last weekend.

Thanks.

You have...effectively joined a sort of fraternity :D

Also, currency is a BIG issue for newcomers to the sport.
This is the main reason that my AFFi's gave me for trying to get myself to the DZ at every available opportunity.

Its much easier to take in lots of knowledge and 'get in the zone' if you are at the dropzone a lot.

Obviously a job and family can make this difficult at times, but sacrifices have to be made to get good at any sport.

There is nothing wrong with it, IMO, but it is debated in our sport. My wife and I both jump, we have 4 children, and we try to balance the two. Some say you have to make at least 100 jumps a year to be safe, others say 500. Bull$#it. As a student, it's nice to rack up jumps quickly. You'll learn faster. But you can always jump at your pace. After you complete the student program, you will have to make the choice of jumping a lot to get good enough to go on better loads with better skydivers, or just keeping it a very part time diversion. The latter would mean being satisfied with lots of solo jumps or 2 way jumps with other less experienced jumpers. But if you're happy and safe, how can anyone else deny you your fun? I know quite a few jumpers that used to jump a lot, but now make only 5-6 jumps a year. I feel they do it quite safely, and within their limits.

Hi,

Replies are great and are calming me down significantly.

I know that after coming down from Level 2 I could have literally gone straight back up that minute. I loved it and imagine I will get well and truly hooked. However i've just got to keep prespective. The people down at my DZ have really given all to the sport and are literally 'living the dream'. However my wife isn't about to jump out of a plane (silly her!) and my boys are too young to leave at the DZ while I jump.

So i'm reliant on my wife's patience.

I had a full weekend to go at it this weekend and the winds were way to high! So got zero levels in!Just want to get qualified to take the pressure off, and enjoy what its about!
Thanks

Freefallphil.

Tell your instructors that your family comes first. If they aren't cool with that tell them to piss off and find another DZ. They're on your dime (pound) and you make the time, when you have time.
Maybe take a family vacation down to Empuriabrava and go through your training there while the wife and kids play in the pool. Everyone wins, you , the family and your training.
Skydive instructors come and go. The family is always is there for you.
I hope you enjoy a long and safe skydive career.

Grimmie,

That post couldn't have come at a better time, as about to go to sleep. Thanks very much for the clarity. I was starting to think these guys are immortal.

Cheers a top post and completley agree.

At the end of the day I am going to quailify and the freefall feeling was too good to forget so stuck for life!

Thanks again.
Thanks

Freefallphil.

If they want to be petty and snicker among themselves about students, so be it... who cares what they think.

If you turn up, have fun jumping and enjoy yourself... that's all that matters.

IF they start treating you differently, find a new DZ.

This raises an interesting question...the DZ I did my jump at has an Advanced Freefall program you can do in a week. Not being much of a narcissist, I begrudgingly got the video of my jump last week. (I was told it was a good idea...and those who told me were right.) Maybe it's the OCD in me, but I have watched it again and again...and thought about the comments the TM made.

I would LOVE to get an A license in one week...especially since I tend NOT to use my allotted vacation time...but I think I got a lot out of going home and watching it again and again - trying to drill my mistakes into my head so I don't make them again. Part of me just wants to jump in and do it, but part of me wants to have adequate time to study and reflect. I know...probably sounds stupid as hell. Any thoughts?

Regardless, I hope you get it done and have a heck of a good time doing so.

Jumping in the UK seems to be a lot like jumping in the midwestern US, in that most DZs are small C182 operations that are only open on the weekends, so the stars basically have to align correctly before you'll be getting any jumps done - if I have the money, the winds are up. Or the winds are down, but it's raining. Or the winds are down, and I'm flat broke. Or I have an out-of-town gig, have the money, but can't get to the DZ.

I made my firs jump on Oct. 8, 2006, and I'm STILL working on getting my license. I'm not complaining - everyone at my home DZ is really cool about it, as they went through the same process. We Static Line and IAD students RARELY get our license within a week, unless you can spring for Skydive Chicago's "AFP in a Week" program (assuming they still offer it, of course.)

I cannot tell you how many times I've driven to the DZ and not been able to jump, but I know it's close to 25 or 30 times. Nobody questions my dedication, and no one should question yours. The fact that you've only missed 2 days that were jumpable is a sure sign that you ARE dedicated, in my opinion.

I'd advise you to have a talk with the DZO about your goals and desired pace - he'll probably care more about keeping you interested in sticking around than your "skygod" instructors. You are a paying customer, not a soldier who has to take shit from his C.O.

Be proud of the fact that you've gone this far, sir - well done. :)

T.I.N.S.

If they want to be petty and snicker among themselves about students, so be it... who cares what they think.

Well said and so true!!! :)
"Sex.... It's just like cuddling - only damper."
Flying Hellfish#695
Muff Brother#3885
Rodriguez Brother#1526-Tronca Rodriguez

Well said and so true!!! :)

fortunately this isn't too hard in the UK; it is very hard for many people in various geographic areas.

fortunately this isn't too hard in the UK; it is very hard for many people in various geographic areas.

I ended up driving two and a half hours to a nice club (when I had one only 10 minutes away) with a nice vibe where to my amazement, they try and get you on as many loads as they can! A number of times when I was reliant on packers the DZO has asked me if I want to get on the next lift and I've looked at my unpacked rig, hes clicked his fingers and the packers have set to it at double time. Another time a fault was noticed with my rig and they wouldn't let me jump it for safety reasons. I had travelled all that way so they let me borrow a club rig for the day free of charge. Now thats service! I really recommend Old Buckenham (UK Parachuting) to anyone. For now though I'm going to keep my jumping to abroad. Its cheaper overall and the £ per smile rate is so much greater!

The downside to travelling this far is I would use £50 in petrol for a day where I might only do 3 or 4 jumps on a good day or if the weather turned I wouldn't do any at all.

There's nothing wrong with being a 'family man'. Skydiving can be a 'family activity'!!! My dad, two brothers, myself and my 18-year-old twin daughters all jump our asses off at Skydive San Diego! Talk about a family outing... Teach your family what it is all about and they just may help you to jump enough to do it safely! Skydiving isn't a 'walk-in-the-park' It's SKYDIVING! Don't kid yourself!...it's DANGEROUS! Especially if you cannot practice enough!

So what if you've got that 'reputation'? As long as you're jumping when you CAN make it down and weather allows.

One thing I don't see a lot from students anymore is coming down even if the weather is bad. There's usually people down at our DZ when the weather is poor and there is still plenty that can be learned. Just listening to the stories, asking questions, and learning to pack. When student shows up on non-jump days this shows a level of dedication that far outshines those fair-weather DZ goers.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."