FreefallFro

I have a manifest? warning (newb)

Say you get to the DZ and its good weather but no jumpers or only a couple. Do you have to wait around or try and find some others to jump with?
Is there a min. number of jumpers that have to be on a plane before they take you up?
The DZ that's close to me uses Otters if that matters. Just curious. Thanks

most DZs have a minimum, it is based on the plane that they fly

of course if you want to pay for the minimum number of slots they will take you up alone
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Yes, DZs have a minimum, though that number might vary depending on whether they are starting the plane from shutdown, or turning the plane (turning = landing, reloading and taking off again without shutting the plane down).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

For an Otter the "minimum" is usually about 12 jumpers.

However, that can vary depending upon the mix of the type of jumpers, or even the mood of the drop zone owner.

For example, if they have four tandems ready to go, they might send it up for them, since those are big-dollar slots, rather than low-dollar fun jumpers.

So it all depends...

Next time, just ask them how many you need to get it in the air.

Next time, just ask them how many you need to get it in the air.

...Then pay those extra slots yourself and they'll take the plane up just for you! :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I got on an otter at Zhills one time with just six other jumpers. Eric Hildibrand, an instructor there, was the only one holding a license. The rest of us were all just off AFF. Skydive City rocks. I don't know if they would have bothered taking off if we weren't all newbys.
I'm behind the bar at Sloppy Joe's....See ya in the Keys!

Muff 4313

As stated, it varies on a number of variables.

Once upon a time the clouds were thick at about 5,500 ft. All the other jumpers were stuck on the idea of going to full altitude and freefalling. The DZ had three aircraft that day... Otter, Caravan, and 182. I had heard that the DZ would launch the 182 for one jumper... so I asked manifest. Sure enough, I was the only jumper in the 182 on that hop and pop. The funniest part of that jump was when the pilot said to me: "Kneel up here and I will give you a pin check." After that pin check I exited at 4,500 feet and deployed immediately. I had a grand time flying my canopy on this jump.

After that jump a bunch of other jumpers realized that hop and pops were the only jumping they were going to get that day and the 182 was busy hauling folks for hop and pops (and short freefalls) for the rest of that day.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Only one? Here at Star, it takes three jumpers for a C-182 load unless it's a tandem. The ohter morning wew had clouds to about 6000 ft and they were putting together a load. I wasn't very thrilled with the idea of hop n'pops to begin with, but decided to go anyway. It was a fun jump afterall. So, I guess when manifest is looking for a third to make a hop n'pop load, I'll be heading to the plane.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Say you get to the DZ and its good weather but no jumpers or only a couple. Do you have to wait around or try and find some others to jump with?

I call the dropzone and ask whoever's working in manifest who's there and don't leave home until enough people have arrived ESPECIALLY when living an hours drive or more from the DZ.

I got on an otter at Zhills one time with just six other jumpers. Eric Hildibrand, an instructor there, was the only one holding a license. The rest of us were all just off AFF. Skydive City rocks. I don't know if they would have bothered taking off if we weren't all newbys.

I can even top that. At Cross Keys once ... I got on an Otter with just me, my instructor, and a video dude. It was sure a quick ride to altitude. :)

Now I guess I should explain ...

It was getting near sunset and we had three slots reserved for my student jump. A sunset load was forming and a few more people wanted on, but there was no room for them. Since they weren't yet ready to go, the dzo filled our three slots on what would have been that load, and told my instructor to haul ass. We had already practiced the dive and everything for quite a while. The Otter pilot rushed us up and got back down for the sunset load.

Everybody was a happy customer that day. :) I even passed my jump. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

We send the plane (182) with one if you pay for two. I went up in an Otter at Couch to check the clouds. Just me. Did an Otter last week with ten. The more gas goes up, the more the min number.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

It will also depend on whether they own or rent the aircraft. Renting is normally dont on hours flown, so normally the minimum load is enough to cover the rental cost. If you have tandems or students on there, it can normally go up lighter, because they pay more,

When they own the plane, its a different story. Ive been up with 4 on a SMG (think porter with a left hand door) and 8 on a G92 (15 seater normally, and faster than an otter).

I was at a DZ where he got a discounted rate on a TurboLet with 8/9 or 10 jumpers. now THAT was comfort. There was more than enough room when it was full.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

I call the dropzone and ask whoever's working in manifest who's there and don't leave home until enough people have arrived ESPECIALLY when living an hours drive or more from the DZ.

Another tip: Always take a book or magazine along so that you have something to read if you're stuck on the ground, for lack of jumpers, overcast skies, whatever...