Bwhacker

Raw Beginner, Please Help

Greetings People, how do you do? I'm about to make my first jump. I'm with a group, however, all we have is a guy's yahoo email address and we are supposed to send him money then show up at the site. I'm worried, about getting scammed. Please correct me, if I'm wrong. How can I check up on this person's credentials? Thanks, ---glenn

I'm with a group, however, all we have is a guy's yahoo email address and we are supposed to send him money then show up at the site.

Is this guy claiming to represent the dropzone or is he just one of the group who's organizing the outing? If you're not comfortable giving the group organizer your money then ask him what the phone number of the dropzone is and call them directly to make payment arrangements.

If this guy is supposed to be a dropzone rep, I'd be a little wary. Find a way to pay the dz in person.
Owned by Remi #?

I wouldn't be so quick to discount this as a scam.

I come from a very small 182 club dz. We don't take credit cards at the dz but offer paypal through our website. If there is a large group, Bob asks them to make a non-refundable deposit. Sometimes the time line doesn't allow for some to send a check or money order in time. We have some tandem masters that live 130 miles away from the dz. If a group calls and says "Yeah, we're going to have 20 tandems this Saturday", we have our staff come in for that. What happens when they don't show up (which has happened). We have staff that spent $90 on gas to be there for your group and now they are out that money. The non-refundable deposit covers those expenses in the event that you don't show.

And for the record, our dz uses a paypal account with a Yahoo address. It could very well be my dz. It's no scam. Its just a small dz trying to break even.

There's a dropzone locator on the homepage of this website. Check for the one you're looking for and contact them through that number to complete your booking. There ARE dropzones that operate out of the trunk of a car (metaphor) and when you're talking about what happens between 12,000 ft and the ground there's no difference.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher