Sletzer

How did you're first Hop & Pop go?

My first 5 skydives ever were hop'n'pops from 4500 feet. Exit stable, count to 7, and pull the nifty yellow cord attached to your right main lift web. If that screws up, pull the even niftier red cord on your left main lift web. This was done at the Air Force Academy, which as far as I know is still the only place in America where you jump solo your first time. Almost didn't get to finish my 5 jumps because cadets kept throwing the damn ripcord after pulling it! :)

The best things in life are dangerous.

Ohhh, now that's funny! The thought of someone doing that to me crossed through my mind more than once.

I bet those were "exciting" first few seconds as you realized you were no longer in the plane!
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

Went like BUTTTTTERB|

Back in the S/L dayz you did you last doperope and 1st ff the same day...Static line jumps were from 2200' and the 1st clear & pull was all the up..........to 2500':ph34r:

My dad came out to watch my first freefall, I'll never forget him asking my JM how 'safe' the FF was compared to the SL jump.

The JM said:
He should be fine....then again if the good lord is lookin' for a way to fuck with him, this would be it! :D:D:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The JM said:
He should be fine....then again if the good lord is lookin' for a way to fuck with him, this would be it!

Well, this thread has certainly given me lots to think about, especially the last comment. The idea of jumping at 3500 feet doesn't thrill me right now to start with. I'm also feeling like the guy up there is already messing with me. The weather here today is absolutely beautiful and will be all weekend. But once again, no jumping. This time it's the pilot. He and his wife had a baby yesterday and he seems to think that comes first.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I let go of the strut, paused for 3 or 4 seconds, then pulled. I went on my side and saw the pc inflating but I got stable before the main came out. I have a tendency to turn on my left side when I'm on the hill, I've done that on every jump so far, some more than others. Now its hardly noticeable but I still do it.

I jumped my own pack for the first time yesterday (best opening I've had ;););) but I still don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell I would have done my first hop & pop with my first pack job.
Koodos on the big brass ones.

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

If it weren't for Spence I'd be dead.

The jm had never exited a cessna before, told me to go up first, door hit me in the head, knocked me into the strut, ripped my new alti off, and literally threw me in a head down spin after Spence tipped the wing to get me clear of that damn door. I pulled in 6 seconds fairly stable and swore I'd never jump a cessna again. I think I may have 3 more cessna jumps in 1000 jumps.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

*side note*There's something about having 14 experienced jumpers staring at you when a)you've never spotted the airplane before, b)you're exiting the plane as low as or lower than you've ever even pulled before and c)holy f*cking sh*t the ground is right there!

NO JOKE!!! That was the most nerveracking part!! I just did my first hop & pop yesterday and graduated!! Wahoo!!

I went to the door, and looked out, light turned green and stuck my body out... came right back in, and let out a "HOLY SHIT!!!!!" Gave all the four-ways on the load a nice little chuckle.

So I man'd up and jumped out.... good arch, reach, and PULL!! Just to set me up with some sweet line twists!! (thought the damn thing would never open anyways) So I cleared the twists, and landed within 10m from the target! Got right back up on the next load and did my graduation jump!
"Its such a beautiful day outside, we should thank the leader."

"The leader? Who the hell is that? Some sort of leader?" -Homer Simpson.

I dont see what the big deal is... If a static line student who has made only 5 jumps can do it so can you.. I mean seriously-- the first time a static line student pulls for themselves is generally from 3500, and well before their 10th jump (unless they're progressing very slow). In fact, they've probably only reached for the ripcord or hackey 3 times, since the first 2 SL jumps are just Arch and Count.

Arch. Reach. Pull.- thats it.

I dont see what the big deal is... If a static line student who has made only 5 jumps can do it so can you.. I mean seriously-- the first time a static line student pulls for themselves is generally from 3500, and well before their 10th jump (unless they're progressing very slow). In fact, they've probably only reached for the ripcord or hackey 3 times, since the first 2 SL jumps are just Arch and Count.

Arch. Reach. Pull.- thats it.

No one said it couldn't be done, I just asked for other people's experiences. I'm glad you think it's not a big deal for S/L students, good for you. I'm assuming your first H&P went well, also good for you.

S/L and AFF students take two very different paths to reach the same goal. For a S/L student the first H&P might be a piece of cake whereas their first jump from 14K might rattle them a bit. AFF students have no problem freefalling for 70 seconds before a pull- which they usually do high so about 5K-5500. To many of them exiting and pulling @ 3000 is REALLY low because that's way closer to the ground than they've ever been during free fall. Once you're mind gets used to "the ground looks this big when I need to pull" it's a little strange to wait & deploy when everythings twice as big in your eyes.....

Regardless, this isn't supposed to be a thread about "can it be done." Obviously it can and looking at the poll numbers most people's H&Ps have gone just fine "like butter, smooth & silky." But there are also those who's first H&P experience was a little more interesting, with some being downright scary. The point of this thread was for people to mention their experience: good or bad, exciting or scary, whatever.

It's always nice to hear your opinion on how it should be easy though. Thanks for that.

SCS #8251

As soon as I was out the door I was pitching my pilot chute like I was in the final inning of the world series with 2 strikes and 2 outs. I watched line stretch and then rolled, or most likely flipped over with no problems. I passed my second and made a third to put it to rest.

Most of the problem comes from the yaking at the DZ about them. For AFF students that have yet to do them I think it helps to remember that your normal deployment altitude is probably 5,500ft.

*Calmly* step out to a spot a couple feet from the edge, watch the plane for a moment, then a *normal* deployment, ahhh the feels nice now doesn't it. Hehe

I think Yamtx73's quote sums it up quite well.
"NOBODY is a natural at this sport, unless you sit on a branch and shit thru feathers."

I also went with S/L. The only problem i had was waiting until i was belly down to pull(3500). Other than that i felt better KNOWING that i pulled and not just hoping the static line did. The whole idea of the Static line pulling for me made me nervous.
EARTH! Short bus of the universe,
since the year T+10.3 billion!

REV. DUDEMIESTER D.S.#120

My hop 'n' pop was amusing once I had a chance to think about it after. I was really nervous about it. The aircraft was a Pilatus Porter and I hadn't jumped out of that plane at that time, I had been jumping from a Twin Otter. When it was time I got to the door and went to do my out, in, out however, when I leaned out I got pushed backwards and was sort of stuck with the middle of my rig jammed into the door. Apparently at this point I said "it's windy" and my instructor was in fits of laughter at me. I thought he would pull me towards him so I could have a good exit but no. I said "I'm stuck" but he thought I was saying "my arm's stuck" so he started peeling my fingers off the bar. As expected my exit was terrible but I recovered, pulled and called my instuctor all the names under the sun until I landed. When he landed later he was still laughing at me. I do see the funny side of it now.

Have to do Hop´n´Pop soon and I do admit I am a bit worried... If I screw it up and use like 5 seconds to get stable and the main opens slow.. so another 4 or so. That gets me down to what? 1500?1000?

Nah....at 3,500 even with a tumbled exit and an additional 5 seconds delay/swear session you should be well above that. For one, you are still vectoring along with the plane and you aren't at terminal velocity so your downward velocity is so little. The parachute opens quick even in the lower deployment speeds.

I tell my students that their hop n' pops are the easiest jumps in the progression...physically.

Mentally they are some of the hardest.

Practice in the mock-up. Visualize the jump (sucessfully) over and over, and try to stay relaxed.

You'll be fine. I haven't lost one yet.

- Dan G

I think a H&P is much easier on SL progression. First H&P is from same altitude (3,500 - 4,000'), same pull procedures, same count, same everything as your PRCP's (Practice Rip cord pulls). You are cleared for your first H&P only after 3 successfull PRCP's. The last PRCP needs to be damn near perfect and on the same day, just like Airtwardo pointed out.
=========Shaun ==========