MADPROPS

is this a good place to buy a complete rig

i'm ready to buy my first rig and i was looking at the ones for sale here i found 3 or 4 that i want to look into but first i thought i would ask who has bought a rig off of this site and how did it turn out

for any one that is selling one i'm 6 foot 2 and 185lbs
looking for anything from a 170 to a 220 don't care about the brand names and 1500 or cheaper would be nice;)

thanks for your input
live and let live

I bought a rig off this site, worked out great, just be careful of people who offer "too good to be true deals", and use common sense. Some people use a go between to make the deal such as a rigger/dropzone etc.
And look into what harness size/wing loading etc etc would suit you best for your size/weight and experience level. And good luck :)

I bought a rig off this site, worked out great, just be careful of people who offer "too good to be true deals", and use common sense. Some people use a go between to make the deal such as a rigger/dropzone etc.
And look into what harness size/wing loading etc etc would suit you best for your size/weight and experience level. And good luck :)

what what did you get and how much if you don't mind me asking

mad props
live and let live

I bought my fisrt complete rig here... I also bought a cypress and a couple of canopies over the years. I've always had what I expected and did most of the deals based on trust, but make sure it's not a scam. A good way to do so is to call the guy's DZ to confirm. I think it's the best place to get used skydiving gear right now.

i agree with taylor, i too have purchased a canopy, jump suit and sold a canopy on here... before you buy you want to see what you are buying so do an exchange through your riggers, he sends his stuff to yours and you send your money to his, when you decide you like the gear then you let his rigger know he can release the money to them...

as far as 1500 goes, i too tried to stay in that realm, but was not happy with my options...i ended up spending a total of 3500 on my rig when i put all the parts together...300 of that was to resize the harness which i would suggest to anyone to do --- MLW, leg straps and new spacer foam (if your rig has it). that 300 was the best investment i made on it...

i actually bought my rig, cypress and reserve off of sunpath-- it was one of there demo rigs so it had all the fixings on it, came from the manufacturer and i was highly pleased...if you go events and places to jump and look under the skyfest page PM the guy whose screen name is "up and down shop" --- his name is J Schrimsher (not sure about spelling) that is who i bought my rig from, great guy, he doesnt work at sunpath anymore but he does have his own shop now, so give him a shout and you never know

good luck to ya, and if your talking to someone over seas, to buy from -- shipping sucks, for a 5 lbs canopy --- $200

blue skies!!!
billy

any questions just PM me

I did exactly the same as billstap, set myself a budget of between 1.5 - 2k but spent over 3.5. I got a g4, sabre 2 230. I bought a cypres from
action air parachutes and they were more than helpful and I got a great price too, I'd recommend them. Just a point I'd like to make, I bought quite a large canopy, 230 (I'm 6ft and 214lb) but I now realize that I will be with this canopy a lot longer than I thought at first. To me it feels really fast and responsive. I don't know yet but in the long run maybe I'll settle at 190? Too far ahead to know yet, but the main thing for me was paying for rental rigs, even if I don't end up better off financially (by buying my own rig) it feels better psychologically, if you know what I mean. Anyway hope that helps :)

taxes and fees that do not have anything to do with the postal service... thats what i thought too, then customs wouldnt let it through until i payed a whole slue of taxes, totaling $250 from the original $120, maybe i just got screwed, but i would stay away, and if you do buy from across the atlantic make sure the product is american, because if your rigger cant fix it or you cant find another rigger to fix it, then you have to soak up another mailing fee 2-WAYS!!!!

didnt experience this only heard about it, but.... makes you think

blue skies!!!

if you know someone in europe have them pick it up for you and bring it to america for you, more hassle but way cheaper

I did exactly the same as billstap, set myself a budget of between 1.5 - 2k but spent over 3.5. I got a g4, sabre 2 230. I bought a cypres from
action air parachutes and they were more than helpful and I got a great price too, I'd recommend them. Just a point I'd like to make, I bought quite a large canopy, 230 (I'm 6ft and 214lb) but I now realize that I will be with this canopy a lot longer than I thought at first. To me it feels really fast and responsive. I don't know yet but in the long run maybe I'll settle at 190? Too far ahead to know yet, but the main thing for me was paying for rental rigs, even if I don't end up better off financially (by buying my own rig) it feels better psychologically, if you know what I mean. Anyway hope that helps :)

going along with taylor, i bought my rig without a main and just demo-ed canopies from the manufacturer, they give 2 weekends for 30 dollars, so call PD demo each one of their canopies, then aerodyne, then icarus, etc. and depending on how much you jump by the time you are done you will know what canopy you like and be able to go down to a smaller one without having to have bought and sold one (ie if you are looking for a 230, demo 230's put about 50 - 100 jumps on the demos then buy a 210) this is what i did, although i only put about 25 on the 230

blue skies!!!!

i'm ready to buy my first rig and i was looking at the ones for sale here i found 3 or 4 that i want to look into but first i thought i would ask who has bought a rig off of this site and how did it turn out

for any one that is selling one i'm 6 foot 2 and 185lbs
looking for anything from a 170 to a 220 don't care about the brand names and 1500 or cheaper would be nice;)

thanks for your input

First how many jumps do you have? From your other posts it appears that you haven't made a jump yet. If this is true, then I would suggest spenting the money on training and jumps. (ie PFF)
Just something to think about, as most people will have about 50-75 jumps before jumping their own rig.

It "can" be a good/great place to buy used gear. Unfortunately, there was a time when one could trust their fellow skydivers to do the right thing if you sent money or a rig and the transaction went smoothly between the independent parties. There have been several instances of it not working out that way on occasion and skydivers have been burned.

The best way to ensure that both parties have a successful transaction these days is to agree on a third-party escrow service to act as intermediary for the transaction. Find a rigger/DZO/Gear Dealer/S&TA to act as escrow agent. Have the rig sent there by the selling party and the buying party takes/sends the money to the escrow agent. The escrow agent holds on to both both until acceptance where the money is released to the seller or unless the rig is not accepted; then the escrow agent returns the rig to the seller and the money to the buyer.

The buyer and seller should write a purchase agreement defining the terms & conditions of the sale for the escrow agent (duration for inspection, who pays shipping if accepted, who pays if shipping if rejected, who pays the escrow agent's fee, how that fee will be paid, etc.).

Treat the transaction no different than you would the purchase of a vehicle. It's a business transaction, not a friend deal. Finally, be sure there is a Bill of Sale listing the seller to buyer including all serial numbers from the transaction.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.