crashtested

How extreme a skydiver are you

> is the sports filled with extreme accountants

Basically yes. Skydiving is pretty unique in that a lot of things can kill you, and indeed if you DON'T do one specific thing during the dive (getting a parachute open) you are going to die. That's not true of most other sports, no matter how "extreme."

So the ones who survive in this sport are the "extreme accountants" - the ones who can balance risk vs reward, pushing your boundaries vs. breaking them (and yourself.) They also get to be good at seeing whether other people can make the same calls.

In a lot of sports, the screaming extreme idiot is sort of a fun character. You might find him on ski slopes on a surfboard, and if he really screws himself up, well, he's probably not going to die or take anyone else with him. Then he becomes sort of an amusing "extreme object lesson" in stupidity. "You know that guy Phil who would always barrel down Outer Limits on his board? Well, he broke his pelvis. Boy, never saw that coming! Ha ha ha."

In skydiving, more so than other sports, his stupidity will get him killed. More importantly to other jumpers, though, it could get THEM injured or killed, and/or get their drop zone sued or shut down. So even taking out the community aspect (smaller community = people tend to care about a given skydiver more) skydivers have a vested interest in not seeing people die.

So even taking out the community aspect (smaller community = people tend to care about a given skydiver more) skydivers have a vested interest in not seeing people die.

That and it's not really much fun to see people die or seriously injured.

...people were surprised by some of my actions, and style of jumping.

Define 'surprised'...:ph34r:

If what you were doing actually caught people by surprise, you may be quickly relegated to the DGIT pool. :)

If they were surprised that you're still alive, you may want to take that into account before you invest in the 'Big' logbook. :$

If you think they were 'surprised' by the 'cool' shit you were doing...might wanna get another definition for surprised. ;)

Remember: There are old ones, and there are bold ones...

There just aren't any OLD BOLD ONES! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Jumping with a barbers chair and shaving a guys beard off whilst he was in the chair, which was being held aff style by a couple of guys to keep it stable.

That doesn't sound very cool to me, but it certainly sounds a little gay...not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

push the envolope as long as it all adds up,

If you are "pushing the envelope" when it doesn't add up it will catch up to you sooner or later. It's better to do the smart thing and be alive then to do something stupid and be dead or worse. There are much worse things then being dead, like being paralyzed from the neck down.

His tackle survived... Why he did not wear the protecting unit i have no idea, i guess he was being ballsy
Hahahahaha

I owe alot of you big time for joining me on my off the ball idea, shark bait next. or project ice man may get the go ahead, how are you climbing skills b?

Big thanks to you all

push the envolope as long as it all adds up,

If you are "pushing the envelope" when it doesn't add up it will catch up to you sooner or later. It's better to do the smart thing and be alive then to do something stupid and be dead or worse. There are much worse things then being dead, like being paralyzed from the neck down.

What doesn't click here is the connection in the poll of risk relating to opening altitude. Though this was important in the late 60's early 70's when the sport was mainly just a thrill seeking stunt, you don't see this at all with skydivers of nearly any experience in the last couple decades. Only wuffo's seem to think there is a connection. Let's avoid the mega DZ types that get scared if in freefall at less than 5K - they don't really count until they learn to both pack and spot and actually do a hop and pop.

I have to conclude that the poll was put together by a wuffo skateboarder drinking Mountain Dew.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

> "You know that guy Phil who would always barrel down Outer Limits on his board? Well, he broke his pelvis. Boy, never saw that coming! Ha ha ha."

What are you laughing at, I've pulled off "extreme" plenty of times. Besides, skydiving is old enough that most the extreme has been use up...

I used to be extreme, as evidenced by a couple of cypres fires and low pulls...

Now... just average.

Now, SOME skydivers think being a crwdog is "extreme". :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I used to be extreme, as evidenced by a couple of cypres fires and low pulls...

Now... just average.

Now, SOME skydivers think being a crwdog is "extreme". :P

now you're confusing "extreme" with "messy packing", "poorly attired", and "odiferiously challenged" :D

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

What you got against skaters and mountain dew drinkers.

You must be skatist...

I have re read how the poll is written and have not got my point across, as well as i could have.

I was trying to get an idea on peoples opinions about pushing the boundrys in the sport, Kind of like the first wingsuit jump, or the first skysurf, or the first 100 way crw, etc etc.

And how far they were willing to push it ato achive there goal??

Did the first skydivers idea get shot down when he thought of adding wings to a jump??

What you got against skaters and mountain dew drinkers.

I have no problems with skaters or mountain dew drinker. I just don't think very highly of wuffo skating mountain dew drinkers who post dumb polls and seem to think pulling low is a good idea.

I think pushing boundaries in the sport is fantastic and I'm really glad there are people out there who have the experience and skill to do it, and have taken the time and put in the hours of research to figure out how to push those boundaries in the right way.

But I'll leave that to the people who have far more jumps than me. You'll notice I have twice as many jumps as you. I'm still a total un-extreme noob, though. ;)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Why on earth would you think i pull low, if you don't like the poll don't respond you sad little man.

tut tut tutB|

HOw do you view yourself as a skydiver,, is doing the sport extreme enough, without pulling low or doing different things??

Very extreme - low pulls, hook turns, Pushing my limits

Wow you have a short memory don't you. I didn't participate in your poll. I responded to your post. I guess must have hurt your feelings.

You did hurt my feelings a little.

I did say again in a post that i used a bad example of pushing the limits, by using low pulls as that example.

The was created mainly to look for people who are in the sport to push boundrys, i am intrested in where that is being done!!