oozzee

withhold USPA dues if they wont do anything about skyride and such

seriously thinking not paying any more money to the lame org. of USPA,,,
If they cant stop skyride then they cant stop any of the other pressures that threaten skydiving,,,
I'm done with USPA,,they have sat on their ass for years and when challenged ,they fold,,no more of my hard earned $$$,,sorry

Did you vote in the last election?

Are you planning to vote in December?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The USPA can't do anything about skyride because it isn't in their legal capacity.

If you want to do something about skyride then write your states attorney general and try to get their office on the case.

Or you could allways take a ride somewhere and some people could slip and fall.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

The USPA can't do anything about skyride because it isn't in their legal capacity.

If you want to do something about skyride then write your states attorney general and try to get their office on the case.
YES

USPA is all we got
vote

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

The core problem with stopping skyride is to get the DZO's/Managers to stop using them. If all the DZO's would take a stand that its bad for the industry and that they wont loose any money in the end then the problem will go away, forget about the competition for once and look at the long term negative impact this will have on everyone. Our DZ has been skyride free since 2005 and I have had a lot less issues with unhappy customers from that outfit. I have tried to get my competitor to stop using them but some have this illusion that they will loose out if they refuse what little they get. Never mind these poor customers are driving through 2 states to give him or others their certificates. DZ's stop using them period and this scam will go away its that simple.

Good luck with that. It seems like for every DZO that wants to run and honest business with honest marketing, you have one that doesn't.

Skyride is fraud plane and simple, the sooner states start indicting those scumbags the sooner the skyride problem with disapear.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

> If they cant stop skyride then they cant stop any of the other
>pressures that threaten skydiving . .

Well, that was sort of a special case. USPA did try to stop Skyride, but Jan Meyer's extracurricular activities (among other things) led to Skyride filing and winning a countersuit against USPA.

With a slight change in leadership I could see USPA doing a bit better against companies like Skyride. Not through lawsuits, but through better consumer awareness programs and better support of skydivers who have been wronged by Skyride.

Well, that was sort of a special case. USPA did try to stop Skyride, but Jan Meyer's extracurricular activities (among other things) led to Skyride filing and winning a countersuit against USPA.

Gee Bill, why do you say that?

With a slight change in leadership I could see USPA doing a bit better against companies like Skyride. Not through lawsuits, but through better consumer awareness programs and better support of skydivers who have been wronged by Skyride.

I have something to say about this: see avatar.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

>Gee Bill, why do you say that?

Specifically, your postings on dropzone.com that helped Skyride win their case against USPA.

>I have something to say about this: see avatar.

I know, and I respect your belief that your right to free speech is more important than your job at USPA. I would simply prefer someone who thinks differently. Nothing against you; I think you are a great person, a good skydiver and have given a lot to this sport. It's just that next time an issue like the Skyride one comes up, we need someone who can take a different approach.

Edited to add - I realized I'm making an assumption above, so instead I'll ask you. If you are put in the same situation again, do you think you will take the same actions you did last time?

Bill.. Did you ever bother to read the publicly available court documents in this case?

I know that what you are saying is the USPA Executive Committee party line.. However if you actually read the court documents and read the ONLY ruling made in the case.. I think you will see that Jans Posts were far from the most damaging parts of the USPA`s case.

Here.. let me quote for you:

From Page 12 of the Ruling:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specifically, on August 6, 2005, the president of the executive committee of the USPA, who was also the manager of a drop zone that competed with Plaintiffs in the Philadelphia area, visited Plaintiffs' facility in Perkasie, Pennsylvania and advised the employees of the recent USPA action and encouraged them to leave their positions to take positions with competitors.(3)

Additionally, the southern regional director of the USPA manages a drop zone in Tennessee, which is a Group Member of the USPA. Prior to the membership termination notice received by ASC, Plaintiffs were in negotiations with an airport for a drop zone location that would have been in commercial proximity to the drop zone managed by the southern regional director .
After the issuance of the August 1, 2005 letter to ASC, Plaintiffs allege that the executive director of the USPA contacted officials at the airport and informed them of the action taken against Plaintiffs . Perceiving it to be a reflection upon the safety and training procedures utilized by Plaintiffs, the self-dealing (count six), breach of a legal duty (count seven), breach of a duty of good faith and fair dealing (count eight), as well as a claim for injunctive relief (count nine). Plaintiffs seek damages in excess of $10,000,000.

(3) Plaintiffs also submit that a USPA national director from Arizona directed his
employees to directly contact Plaintiffs' employees and subcontractors in an effort to
solicit them to leave the employment and business relationships of Plaintiffs and join his drop zone .

Here is what the JUDGE thought about these claims:

Page 23 The judge states his opinions on the claims:

B. State Law Claims
1. Tortious Interference
In count four, Plaintiffs contend that the USPA tortiously interfered with Plaintiffs' business relationships . Plaintiffs allege, inter alia, that the USPA (1) persuaded individuals to break off contract negotiations with Plaintiffs for a new drop zone location at a Tennessee airport ; (2) made public statements to third parties not to enter business relationships with Plaintiffs ; and (3) utilized wrongful means to solicit Plaintiffs' employees .
Under Georgia law, to state a claim for interference with business relations, a plaintiff must allege facts which, if proven, will show that a defendant "(i) acted improperly and without privilege ; (2) purposely and with malice with the intent to injure ; (3) induced a third party or parties not to enter into or continue a business relationship with the plaintiff ; and (4) for which the plaintiff suffered some financial injury." St. Mary's Hosp .
of Athens, Inc . v . Radiology Prof'I Corp., 205 Ga. App. 121,124, 421 S .E .2d
731, 734 (1992).
Defendant argues that Plaintiffs have failed to allege facts to show that the USPA "acted improperly ." Defendant relies upon Sommers Co . v. Moore, in which the Georgia Court of Appeals explained that "improper conduct means wrongful action that generally involves predatory acts such as physical violence, fraud or misrepresentation, defamation, use of confidential information, abusive civil suits, and unwanted criminal prosecutions ." 275 Ga. App . 604, 606, 621 S .E .2d 789, 791 (2005) (citationomitted) . Defendant contends that Plaintiffs have not alleged facts sufficient to meet this standard .
The Court rejects Defendant's argument . The examples of improper action discussed in Sommers are just that-examples that were intended to be illustrative of the types of conduct that might constitute tortuous interference. Here, Plaintiffs have alleged that the USPA solicited their employees, disrupted contractual negotiations, and directed others to cease doing business with Plaintiffs . The Court finds that Plaintiffs have alleged sufficient facts of improper conduct to withstand a motion to dismiss.
Defendant also argues that even if it was improper conduct to solicit Plaintiffs' employees, Plaintiffs' tortious interference claim fails as a matter 27 245, 248-49, 166 S.E.2d 744 746-47 (1969). However, "the competitor's privilege is lost when an illegal restraint of trade or competition under federal or state statutes is created or continued or when wrongful means in the solicitation of employees are utilized ." Am. Bldgs . Co . v . Pascoe Bldg . Sys., Inc., 26o Ga . 346, 349, 392 S .E.2d 8bo, 863 (1990) .
Plaintiffs have alleged facts, that if proven, could demonstrate that the USPA solicited Plaintiffs' employees with malice and with a purpose to drive Plaintiffs out of business. Additionally, as the Court has already found, Plaintiffs have stated a claim under Section One of the Sherman Act, a federal statute pertaining to the restraint of trade and unfair competition .
Under these circumstances, dismissal of Plaintiffs' tortious interference claim would be inappropriate.

Now how was it that it was Jans posts that made the USPA settle? Looks to me like it was the president of the USPA, The Southern Regional Director and the National Director from Arizona that the Judge really had an issue with.

Disclaimer: I dont think any of these people were at fault and I dont even think these claims are accurate, But if you have to throw out Blame, Read the documents and read what the Judge wrote.

Of course it is much easier to just say ”It was Jans Fault.”

>I think you will see that Jans Posts were far from the most damaging
>parts of the USPA`s case.

I agree! They were just one part of the problems that led to USPA losing the case.

>Of course it is much easier to just say ”It was Jans Fault."

I never said it was all her fault.

I'd rather pay my dues and keep my voice. Hell, I might even run for the BOD someday.

I went to the BOD meetings in February. I paid attention to the positions each member took on issues and how they treated each other, as well as the *VERY FEW* members in attendance.

I know who I'm voting for, and who isn't getting my vote. Do you?

Are you really willing to give up all your ratings?

I'm going to give up my PRO rating, for one thing. I've done pretty much all I wanted to do with it, and not having it is not going to keep me off most of the demos that I usually do, since most of them do not require it.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I agree! They were just one part of the problems that led to USPA losing Settling the case.

It may be semantics, but there is a HUGE difference between Losing the case and settling the case. In this case, the USPA settled and the tried to pin the blame on Jan for doing so when in reality, There was no indication at all in the judges rulings on the motions to dismiss that Jans posts were even a factor in this case. A complete NON-ISSUE.

The real issues were what I mentioned in the previous post. Those things are what Killed the USPA`s chances at defending itself in an anti-trust lawsuit. Not some posts on a web site.

Once again.. READ the Court Documents. Read what the JUDGE said.

>It may be semantics, but there is a HUGE difference between Losing
>the case and settling the case.

Fair enough. I will amend my statement to "Jan's posts were just one part of the problems that led to USPA settling the case for a huge amount of money."

>Not some posts on a web site.

That is indeed PART of what killed USPA's chances of defending itself.

Personally, it bothers me that part of my USPA dues are now going to Skyride. I hope that in the future USPA (including Jan) will make better decisions, so that that doesn't happen again.

Looks to me like it was the president of the USPA, The Southern Regional Director and the National Director from Arizona that the Judge really had an issue with.

The Southen Regional Director did not manage any dz anywhere in TN and had NOTHING to do with:

"Additionally, the southern regional director of the USPA manages a drop zone in Tennessee, which is a Group Member of the USPA. Prior to the membership termination notice received by ASC, Plaintiffs were in negotiations with an airport for a drop zone location that would have been in commercial proximity to the drop zone managed by the southern regional director . "

That statement is an out and out right lie. It was lack of any due dilligence by the USPA attorneys that required them to settle.

Maybe we should withhold dues. With all the corruption, how do we really know that the elections won't be rigged?

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Maybe we should withhold dues. With all the corruption, how do we really know that the elections won't be rigged?

j

We could withhold dues, if we were willing to jump without the USPA insurance coverage... I will just settle for not renewing my ratings. I'm not jumping like I used to so I'm not going to miss them.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>It may be semantics, but there is a HUGE difference between Losing
>the case and settling the case.

Fair enough. I will amend my statement to "Jan's posts were just one part of the problems that led to USPA settling the case for a huge amount of money."

>Not some posts on a web site.

That is indeed PART of what killed USPA's chances of defending itself.

Personally, it bothers me that part of my USPA dues are now going to Skyride. I hope that in the future USPA (including Jan) will make better decisions, so that that doesn't happen again.

I seem to be saying this a lot lately:

Forgive them Father, for they do not know what they are talking about.

Wish I could elaborate - see avatar.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Also don;t forget that Mr. Welkers posts on here were quoted in the case and marked as the SRD statements, when in fact at the time of his post he was NOT elected yet.

The original complaint also quoted a post by Todd Spillers and attributed it to Chris Welker, not to mention out of context quotes from me.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker