BillyVance

Jump prices when you started

2001: at the 2xcessna 206 DZ I started at

FJC: £150, that included some discount for a group
Student S/L jumps £35 (I think thats still the going rate)
10k = something like £18
At a bigger turbine DZ, singles were £18, 10 tickets for £160
Now, single = £20/21 generally.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

In 1965/66, there were very few skydivers in the area, so anyone with a few jumps was the only instructor available. They didn't charge anything for services, just to get more people involved. My first jump was $2.00 and gear was provided. At that time 7200 was considered full altitude (from a Cherokee 6) and that was $2.00. Often we would rent a plane and share the pilot duties and costs. I remember one day the jumps worked out at 57 cents each from 2500 flying a tri-pacer.

Ed

My FJC in 1974 cost me $35 (large group discount). 7500 ft in a Cessna was $5. 10,500, when you could get it was about $7. At the Z-Hills Easter Boogie in '77, 12,500 was $8. And if you could get the whole plane (DC-3) to agree to go along, they'd give us 15,000 for $10.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

1995, S/L FJC was $115 on a "discount weekend" (normal was $165 if I remember correctly). Subsequent S/L jumps were $58. After that, jumps were $3 plus a buck a thousand, so our normal 10,500' was $13.50. Now we're at $13 plus a buck a thousand, so our normal 12,000' is $25.

I didn't do a tandem till I needed one to get the rating, but I think they were $165 when I started. Now I charge $195. I'm guessing the 18% growth in price in 13 years is less than inflation.

What amazes me is the increase in the cost of gear. I didn't buy my first rig till 1997. It was brand new and cost $3400 with a Cypres. My second sport rig, in 1999, was custom made/colored and cost $2900 sans Cypres. Looking at Square One's web page, today a tie-dyed G3 with stainless plus the normal stuff, containing a Cypres 2, a PD Optimum, and a PD Velocity has an MSRP of $8,605! Yeah, them are some spendy options, and yes, those are some top notch canopies, but my god that's a chunk of change for a sport rig!

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

What amazes me is the increase in the cost of gear. I didn't buy my first rig till 1997. It was brand new and cost $3400 with a Cypres.
Blues,
Dave

Yep, that was what I spent total on my current rig, which I ordered in December 1997, including the Cypres that went into it the following summer.

I don't know why gear is that much more expensive. Kinda ridiculous, but to each their own.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The :D time around....

FJC, 5 jumps from 900m, 2 from 1500m and 2 from 2500m, including 3 nights in the bunkhouse and equipment rental....

$150 (1993)

This time around.... B| Let's just say a HELL of a lot more!!!

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

2004:

First jump course (Static line): $165.
Additional static line jumps: $40, with gear rental.
Student freefalls, with gear rental: $25
Coach's fee: $0
Up jumper lift ticket: $14 to 10,000'

My licence, including USPA fees, cost me $875.
cavete terrae.