bigbearfng

tipping for recovered chopped canopy

I dont get this monetary drive people have.....

I don't understand it either, but this whole 'tipping' thing is an obsession with some people here. For that matter, 'tipping' in this case isn't even the right term, unless someone at the DZ is specifically hired to go chase canopies, then a 'tip' is the right term.

Skydivers should look out for each other. Maybe today, people are so self centered that we have to "pay" for everything instead of just giving back to each other.

Someone tries to tip me for chasing down their canopy? I'd be a bit insulted...

I agree with this sentiment. It's just something nice that we should do for each other, without any expectation of remuneration. Because some day we will need that favor done for ourselves. It's the "pay it forward" philosophy.

However, that applies for the standard retrieval of chasing a canopy down in a neighborhood before it gets stolen, or an open farm field, where there is not a lot of time or effort involved.

On the other hand, if the retrieval involves hours of difficult searching, pushing through jungle, climbing trees, snakes, poison ivy, alligators, wading across water-filled ditches, crawling under electric fences, etc. Then heck yeah, I'm going to tip them in some way to show my appreciation for them going above and beyond the call of duty.

So I guess my answer is two-pronged, depending upon the degree of difficulty.

I must confess, as someone new to this sport, all the talk about tips, beers for firsts, and paying for jumps for people caught me off guard. I am generous in the restaurant and such places. This is certainly a different world than I live in. I was always taught to do things for people because it is the right thing to do. This is a bit of a challenge to get used to, frankly.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

I chase, follow, and recover gear. Unless your gear is landing in the crushed glass landfill, or the pitbull farm expect me to make an effort to land with it.

I actually was questioned about this the other day. Why land off with the gear, you can get hurt.

Well I think I have the ability to land in tons of conditions, it is damn fun, and I wish some one else would wait with my 1-2k piece of nylon if I was in the same position.

It is the right thing to do, but aparantly from peoples reactions it is no longer the norm?!?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

The beer thing is an old tradition and a good one. It promotes the social aspect of the sport. You "owe" beer for certain events or mess ups, you buy it, hand it out and everyone sits around drinking it socializing.

The next time around someone else owes beer, buys it, brings it and then you drink it along with everyone else sitting around socializing.

Or you just buy it as a thank you for someone coaching you, finding your freebag, canopy, etc etc. And it has the same effect, you both sit around drinking it and socializing.

But paying tips, paid coaching and covering slots is more of a recent thing in the sport. And not everyone agrees with it.

It is the right thing to do, but aparantly from peoples reactions it is no longer the norm?!?

Not so much anymore, regrettably. Everyone else from the "me" generation will be too hurried to pack up again for the next load, and expect "someone else" to take care of that lost canopy.

This discussion is very disappointing.

I’ve been jumping for more than 25 years and have recovered dozens of parachutes, freebags, and handles. I just can’t imagine anybody thinking they should be paid. All I’ve ever expected is a simple “thank you,” and that expectation has almost always been met. Heck, in a few cases I have been given a jump ticket, and that’s certainly appreciated, but so far beyond expectation that it warrants a humongous thank you from me.

When I started jumping in the 1980’s we were all friends, and we were all part of a unique fraternity. No matter our station in life, we helped each other out, and shared when we could. We jumped with each other, we packed together, and we passed around cases of beer to celebrate meaningful milestones at the end of a jump day. In the evenings we could often be found at the local bar or around the firepit, and by nightfall many of the bodies would be splayed out on a pile of old T-10’s.

It wasn’t all glory. We sure did have a bunch of problems and I wouldn’t want to go back to that time, but at least we cared for each other and saw the other ‘star warriors’ as friends, and not just as customers.

Sadly, that sense of fraternity has disappeared from many drop zones. These days everybody expects to be paid for everything. Eight to ten dollars for a friggin pack job, and ya want a damn tip on top of that? WTF! And now there is a sense of financial entitlement when you pick up a friends canopy? Geez-oh- friggin-Pete!

Seriously, can’t you guys find another planet?
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

At my DZ it is still the norm for others to land off with anothers canopy if noticed. If no one on load notices then expect someone on the ground to go after it. Same goes with someone just landing off, most try to land with someone that was in same group to land off with you(in case they are hurt). As a matter of fact i had my first landing off a DZ the other day cause someone else with my group opened lower and was going to land off. So i turned around and landed with him. And you can bet your ass if you do land off someone is going to come and pick you up. I LOVE MY DZ!!!!!!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

This discussion is very disappointing.

I’ve been jumping for more than 25 years and have recovered dozens of parachutes, freebags, and handles. I just can’t imagine anybody thinking they should be paid. All I’ve ever expected is a simple “thank you,” and that expectation has almost always been met. Heck, in a few cases I have been given a jump ticket, and that’s certainly appreciated, but so far beyond expectation that it warrants a humongous thank you from me.

When I started jumping in the 1980’s we were all friends, and we were all part of a unique fraternity. No matter our station in life, we helped each other out, and shared when we could. We jumped with each other, we packed together, and we passed around cases of beer to celebrate meaningful milestones at the end of a jump day. In the evenings we could often be found at the local bar or around the firepit, and by nightfall many of the bodies would be splayed out on a pile of old T-10’s.

It wasn’t all glory. We sure did have a bunch of problems and I wouldn’t want to go back to that time, but at least we cared for each other and saw the other ‘star warriors’ as friends, and not just as customers.

Sadly, that sense of fraternity has disappeared from many drop zones. These days everybody expects to be paid for everything. Eight to ten dollars for a friggin pack job, and ya want a damn tip on top of that? WTF! And now there is a sense of financial entitlement when you pick up a friends canopy? Geez-oh- friggin-Pete!

Seriously, can’t you guys find another planet?

100% spot on - more's the pity

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

yup, i think it was my canopy. i went back out that night with a ladder and still couldnt find any sight of it... it was a small price to pay for a canopy. i knew if it was not found on sunday, it wouldnt have been found... best money i have ever spent... i was so cut up from the crap we call woods in florida....thanks again tony

My only cutaway so far, my main landed on the run way. It was picked up about the same time I landed because the plane couldn't land :$. The freebag was next to it so that was picked up also. After I shed my gear, my bf and I recovered my handle. I brought beer for it being my first reserve ride and liquor for my rigger. Nobody expected anything but they sure enjoyed helping drink the alcohol B|

When I had my chop, Brenthutch on here drove around with me and he was the one that spotted both my freebag and chopped main. I tried to buy him a jump ticket or a bottle, he refused and told me to just repay the favor to someone else some time.

The funny part is that the week before I landed out, following someone else's main and landed beside the corn field it was in. It took my husband and I 1/2 hr to find the canopy and free bag, but we got it and the jumper was very appreciative (he was too frazzled from chopping to follow his gear). Try finding a green and yellow canopy in 8 foot tall corn!!

Hutch told me he was just Karma paying me back.:)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

ehn... I don't see a reason to give cash. Maybe I'm old-school, but I think we're all supposed to be friends and help each other out. This includes watching for chopped mains and (within reason) looking for/recovering them for fellow jumpers. I will (and have) paid back others for recovering my main by recovering theirs in return. Agreed with Remster, I wouldn't turn down a couple beers!

If anyone deserves cash, it's a wuffo/farmer who finds it in their yard and calls the DZ to let them know. Or a DZO who does a low pass over a field or even a dedicated flight to see if you can spot the canopy... I've seen a lot of flights to look for canopies, but the DZO has always just taken the hit (well, maybe they get the price of a jump ticket so the guy can jump out and land by the main).
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I would never give, nor accept anything resembling 10% or more of the canopy. That's just excessive.

The only time I've given anything was after someone went to pretty extensive lengths to retrieve my main from a tree. In that case I gave a case of beer.

I've helped people retrieve their main countless times, and I've never been given anything - nor would I ever expect anything.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Oh, when my husband had his chop, it landed at the top of a 60 foot tree. One of the jumpers there climbs/cuts trees for a living, so retrieved the main for us. We bought him 2 jump tickets.... he tried to refuse, so we just had them put on his account at manifest... it was above and beyond just looking for a main, he had the equipment needed for that job to be done safely.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I've spent hours walking in high corn looking for lost canopies. It never occurred to me that I would be tipped, and I would be offended if offered money (I did accept the beer).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Is it just me, or are a lot of 'mericans completely obsessed with tipping and making sure they get the amount right.... Too weird for words.

Anyway, to the question of the post; it wouldn't be a tip it would be a reward and no I wouldn't. A thanks, the offer of some beers and hand-shake.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome