shaneken

**Total $$$$**

So I just finished my first tandem jump a few days ago and it was amazing. I'm seriously considering taking the AFF course and getting my license. The only problem is I'm 18 years old and this is a HUGE money sink for me. I'll be dedicating all the money I've saved up for the past few years and whatever I earn this summer for skydiving. I figure it's worth it but I need to know how much i should expect to spend in the end on gear and everything.

the AFF course is around 1k at my center - So after that i may have anywhere from two to three grand left over. Is this enough for new gear?

the AFF course is around 1k at my center - So after that i may have anywhere from two to three grand left over. Is this enough for new gear?

Yes, if you factor in other jumps and used gear; however, what is that money saved for? Education money? Housing? Savings in general?

I made some really stupid financial mistakes when I was 18-23 and I'm still paying for them now and will be paying for them for a bit longer.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It's just general savings I've got over the years. I already have college paid for and I have another savings account with plenty of money once I graduate that my parents help ed me with. I'm set for the most part - This is money I planned on spending on a motorcycle but I'm going to have to wait on that one

learn to pack the parachutes. Spend Friday and all day Saturday packing parachutes, then jump on Sunday.

Go to the dropzone and ask who teaches the packing. I packed parachutes and it got me this far.

If not expect to pay like 5K after everything is said and done.

Are you saying I can get a job doing that? Or just that it saves a lot of money?

If you are a fast packer you can make a shitload of money in a very short amount of time packing for other people. It is very much a job, and can potentially be profitable.
There's no such thing as free will; everything is dictated by the Uncertainty Principle.

It all depends on the DZ. If you check with manifest they should be able to point you to the right person. There may be a packing concession, it my be the guy in the orange jump suit doing the work release program...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

There's an old story.

A jumper is talking to a Wuffo, the Wuffo says "How much does it cost to jump?"

The Skydiver says "twenty bucks a jump"

The Wuffo says "WOW, that's not so much!"

The Skydiver says "Only half my paycheck for the rest of my life ;)"

I'm 18, I earn minimum wage etc. If you have a job, work 50 - 60 hours a week. If you don't, get one. Also start selling all your junk on ebay, don't eat out anymore. Matter of fact, your diet will become a combination of water and ramen noodles. Don't drive anywhere except work and the dropzone. Save all your pocket change, I paid for my FJC in change I had saved (of course I cashed it for paper money first).

Buy used gear, I just bought a 95 dolphin complete with a main, reserve, and a 2 year old Vigil for 2 grand. Was just washed, had a bridle cover installed, and all brand new velcro installed. I don't even have a jumpsuit. Blue jeans + shirt tucked in and belt as tight as it will go works fine.

Seriously, packing to a newbie can be an utter and complete bastard - I speak from experience. Have a go at stuffing in a new ZP canopy and you'll know what I mean. BUT that by no means it can't be learned within a week or so, it's just frustrating and sweaty (practice makes ... etc etc). You need to be quick to make money (and please the proletariat).

After the excitement of buying my first rig wore off I was sitting on the DZ, crying in my beer about how much money I'd just spent. My instructor looks over and says 'hey, it gets a lot easier after the first 10k'. Promptly filed under things I needed to know yesterday [:/]
But I'm surprised that none of the experienced jumpers have responded to your statement about being able to get liscensed for 1k. The avg on my DZ is around $2200. You need to know if that price includes ALL jumps until you have your A lisc (probably not) and what the additional costs are (coach jumps, failed/repeat jumps, etc).

The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

I kept records of how much I spent on AFF. My total was $1,896.00, this includes ground school and having to repeat level 14 twice.

I have about $4,700 in gear including container, main, reserve, cypress, jump suit (bad ass christmas present) helmet (bad ass b-day present) and neptune (bad ass prize at my 1st haloween party)

Not bad considering it's spread out over almost 2 years.

hell, its my skybirthday today i just reckoned, and i spent probably about 15 grand in my first season, of course, skydiving in europe is rather pricy.. plus, if you're serious about it, 50 jumps in two years.. well, around here, you'd just get to keep your license, not speaking of obtaining it.. :P

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Don't forget, if your dropzone has a bar on it you have to factor that in there. I average about $80 a weekend at the Bent Prop (bar), $50 to get my truck to the DZ, $105 on jump tickets and probably about $75 on tunnel time.... Yikes, no wonder why I still eat Ramein....
:S

HYPOXIC

I don't like to think about how much money I have spent skydiving. 1300 times 20 is only a very very conservative estimate. I don't remember (more like blocking it from concious thought) what the total is that I have spent at Skydive Dallas. Next time I get print out from SDD I will make it a point to look at the total, but seeing as I have almost 1000 jumps at SDD it is a pretty big number.

I would rather die poor and having done a lot of jumps and had lots of fun then rich and having done nothing.

Man, this sport is not cheap. I've only been jumping since March, and so far I've dumped $6000 into the sport easily (gear, jump tickets, AFF, coaching, gear rental, pack jobs, beer), and that's not even including the $1300 I got scammed on my attempt to buy my first rig B| Be prepared to invest a lot of time and money. I keep telling myself it's worth it, and so far I'm right. Does my credit score agree? We shall see... :P

the AFF course is around 1k at my center

This price is probably just for your first seven jumps and does not include any cost per jump should one or two of them need repeating, nor does it get you your "A" License which is usually in the neighborhood of 3K with coaching, gear rental, etc. Once off student status (having achieved the "A" License), THEN you're looking at buying gear in the range of 3-5K.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

It's just general savings I've got over the years. I already have college paid for and I have another savings account with plenty of money once I graduate that my parents help ed me with. I'm set for the most part - This is money I planned on spending on a motorcycle but I'm going to have to wait on that one

When I was your age, I sold my motorcycle to buy my 1st used rig...best move I ever made. ;)

As far as the costs incurred regarding skydiving...lots of good advise on here about 'working' your way through the process.

I've been doing that in one fashion or another for over 30 years...Be it instructing, flying jumpers, doing demos or sweeping out the hangar.

I actually paid for college by packing and instructing.

I currently jump on several professional demonstration teams and am somewhat sponsored by a gear manufacturer, I keep a running account and always have regarding skydiving expenditures...in the past 32 years I've spent just over 1/2 million bucks on this addiction.

On the account balance...i was actually 'up' or 'in the black' by about 3200.00 B|:).....so take it to heart, if you're motivated and energetic you CAN make it work for you...

Even if I'd never made a dime and had to pay double what I have so far to be a part of the sport ~ I WOULD!

...............The memories are PRICELESS! B|:$

Make a Skydive ~ Get a Check! ;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

the AFF course is around 1k at my center

This price is probably just for your first seven jumps and does not include any cost per jump should one or two of them need repeating, nor does it get you your "A" License which is usually in the neighborhood of 3K with coaching, gear rental, etc. Once off student status (having achieved the "A" License), THEN you're looking at buying gear in the range of 3-5K.

Right the 1k is the cost for AFF 1-7. So in order to get my A license I'll need coaching and have to rent for the first 25 jumps at least?

Correct.
At some DZ's, the rental is included in the price per jump.
It's best to check with your DZ for a pricing schedule for each jump towards your "A" license.
The following hyperlink are the categories you'll need to progress through (and a minimum of 25 jumps) to achieve the "A" license.

http://www.uspa.org/publications/SIM/2008SIM/section4.htm

Please fill out your profile.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I figure my first 100 jumps cost about $10,000. That includes paying for jumps, buying all the gear, and the cost of all the training.

Now I get other people to pay for my jumps, so I generally break even unless I need to buy gear.

For you, though - it'll be tough to get people to pay for your jumps until you've got quite a lot of experience. The only realistic way to earn money (or jumps) in skydiving at your level is to pack. Packers can earn quite a bit of money packing on the weekends.

Skydiving is not a cheap sport.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.