chrismgtis

First Helicopter Jump

Jumped the helicopter at Skyfest.

OH MY GOD.

THAT WAS AWESOME.

I was going to jump the balloon, but I didn't make it back down to the DZ in time that morning.

I've jumped the Otter, CASA, Cessna... all great, but the helicopter is now by far my favorite aircraft to jump. That is going down as probably the most amazing thing I've ever done in my life.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I also did my first helo jump at Skyfest. It felt like my first tandem all over again. Same with my first balloon jump that I did there.

The balloon jump was kinda funny. While climbing out I started shaking with fear because I was afraid I was gonna fall. :$

On the bright side TMaricle said I made it a jump she'll never forget. :D:D

It's a USPA requirement. I'm guessing it's because you need to be good at getting on your belly fast. There's dead air at first and by time you hit terminal you need to pull so you gotta get stable pretty damn quick.

Really? I did one right after I got my A.

It's a USPA requirement. I'm guessing it's because you need to be good at getting on your belly fast. There's dead air at first and by time you hit terminal you need to pull so you gotta get stable pretty damn quick.

I can sure vouch for the "dead air". Soon as I let go of the helicopter, I flailed like some cartoon character for about two seconds (while yelling "Ahhhh shiiiiiiiiit" in my helmet).

Both my balloon and helicopter jumps were around 4000.

I thought we were at 5000 (I was looking at the helicopters instrument panel). But I may be wrong. I've noticed instrument panel and wrist altimeter are two different things. I think instrument panels have some kind of barometric pressure adjustment mechanism that makes them have to be adjusted sometimes? Dunno. Either way, I looked down and everything was pretty big. One of those "You should ride down" thoughts entered my mind. When that happens I usually think "The hell I will" and pretend I can fly.

Wait till you try the balloon. ;)

Would've if I hadn't overslept like an idiot. :S

I know different loads made it to different altitudes. So it is possible that I went from 4000 and you went from 5000.

I loved that feeling of dead air for a few seconds. I did the same thing of screaming when I first let go. Didn't it totally kick ass? :)

I thought we were at 5000 (I was looking at the helicopters instrument panel). But I may be wrong. I've noticed instrument panel and wrist altimeter are two different things. I think instrument panels have some kind of barometric pressure adjustment mechanism that makes them have to be adjusted sometimes?

The instrument panel altimeter gets set for altitude above sea level.

Your altimeter is set for altitude above ground level where you plan to land.

If you're not at a sea level DZ the two are likely to be different enough to matter.

It's a USPA requirement. I'm guessing it's because you need to be good at getting on your belly fast. There's dead air at first and by time you hit terminal you need to pull so you gotta get stable pretty damn quick

*** Who told you that?

John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

I thought it was in the SIM that you had to have a B to do night jumps, water jumps, helo jumps, balloon jumps, high alti jumps and stuff like that. I may be mistaken. I just remember always hearing that I couldn't do any of those things until I had my B. (And even if that isn't the case I think it's a good idea.)

There is absolutely nothing in the SIM saying when you can and can't do a helicopter jump. That being said, it is entirely possible that you were told that you couldn't do a helicopter jump until you had your B, as individual DZOs can add requirements to the rules as they see fit.

I loved that feeling of dead air for a few seconds. I did the same thing of screaming when I first let go. Didn't it totally kick ass? :)

Hellllllll yea. ;)

*** BTW, helicopters don't necesarily put jumpers out at 4000', I've jumped them from 14000. Even so, if you can't get stable within 4 or 5 seconds after exit, you probably would have already got the "bowling" speech. You can put students out of a helo, or a ballon for that matter.
John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

I did my first balloon & Heli jumps this weekend as well. Did the Balloon Friday morning and I can say the whole thing was an incredible experience. From watching them set up and inflate the balloon, rising off the ground, floating silently through the air.... everything about it was cool. I had this HUGE smile on my face the whole time.

The helicopter on saturday was cool, too. I enjoyed zipping around the airport and low over trees, and being able to stick my head out to look at the groud without being hit by 100 mph winds was nice. He told us we were gonna jump at 5000, so when he told us to get on the skids at 4200 I was like, "now?" He said yes, I swung down to the skid and just dangled there untill a buddy exited on his back, then I let go and geeked the camera before rolling over and tracking away. Very cool experience.

I got super lucky with the balloon as we went just above 6000 when we jumped. Made for the world's longest freefall from 6 grand (or so it seemed). I will definitely do a balloon jumps again. And again. And again.... :)

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

Oh, I thought it took about 1000 feet to reach terminal no matter if you started at 0mph or 80mph.

I assume you're talking about horizontal speeds of 0 & 80. The difference is the feeling. At 80 you have a cushion of air pushing on you immediately, at 0 you don't. You would reach terminal velocity in roughly the same time in either case.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

I can sure vouch for the "dead air". Soon as I let go of the helicopter, I flailed like some cartoon character for about two seconds (while yelling "Ahhhh shiiiiiiiiit" in my helmet).

So do you get the sensation of "falling" (stomach in your throat) when you jump from a chopper/balloon?
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

I've done several helicopters and a balloon jump... can't say I've gotten the 'falling' sensation (probably because there's nothing next to you for reference), but you can definitely feel yourself accelerating and it's an awesome feeling... B|

The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...