npgraphicdesign

Getting over nervousness and having to repeat a jump?

Hey guys,

Just did my 2nd AFF Category B jump (1st repeat) and in some ways it was worse and better then the first. First time, I was nervous because the plane ride freaked me out, i became nervous on the actual pull at 5500, missed the mark, and had the JM guide my hand to the pull handle.

This time, I was ok about the plane ride, but as soon as we exited and i did my COA, i completely froze. I mean, put me in a freezer and i couldn't have frozen in a worse way!! I completely forgot the practice pulls, altitude check, hand signals (which came in a barrage at me, but I completely blanked!!) ...in the end, i missed my pull altitude again, but reached for the handle on my own, and pulled around 4500ish, and had an ok landing with a somewhat late flare.

A bit bummed that I have to repeat the jump again, but at the same time, i know why, and what I need to fix. But how do you get over that feeling of disappointment, and moreso, the feeling of nervousness? I think my mind went into overload because of what I was doing (hello skydiving? It's nuts I tell youse:P) and forgot all that i practiced.

Any advice guys?

mental practice - rehearse the dive flow again and again. Practice your arch on the living room floor and practice the dive flow - checking in with the instructor, the COA, the practice touches...all of it.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

mental practice - rehearse the dive flow again and again. Practice your arch on the living room floor and practice the dive flow - checking in with the instructor, the COA, the practice touches...all of it.

Good advice here.
Im still a relative newbie to the sport but having recently been through AFF hopefully my advice will be useful..

Take a look at this thread
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3242444;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

because there are some useful posts in there for you

Also, GET YOURSELF TO THE NEAREST WIND TUNNEL!!

I found it a huge benefit when I was starting out on my aff for several reasons.
The main one being that I became very stable in the tunnel and could pull out all the AFF moves without even thinking after an hour or so in the tunnel (20 minute sessions over a month or so)

This gave me confidence in my belly flying skills even though I only had a few jumps at the time!

The next time I went out of the door....once I was at terminal velocity, I 'KNEW' that it would all be good..... the sensation of freefall was no longer alien and instead of panicking about body position or staying stable....it came without thinking and I could then focus on the required AFF drills.

Also, read Brian Germains book, 'transcending fear'

If you do the above things and put them into pratice, Im sure you will find things much easier :)

What mneal said... lots and lots of mental and physical rehearsal until you don't have to think about it.

BUT... scale back the rehearsal when you're actually in the plane. I'm not saying don't think about it, just saying don't go through it non-stop for the entire 20 minutes to altitude. Once on takeoff, once at maybe 5500', and maybe one last time around 10,000. Allow yourself the last few minutes before exit to clear your mind. Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths just before you're up in the door... you've done the work, you know the material, and nothing can change that!

Incidentally, this works in all phases of skydiving, from your Level A AFF jump, to your early RW (or freefly, or whatever) stuff, all the way to the most advanced skydiving in the world. Twice as an experienced skydiver I have been as nervous (actually, more nervous!) as during the student program... first time was at Nationals, and the second time was my eval dives for my AFF instructor rating. The above is what made me succeed; tons of preparation, but a clear mind on exit.

Good luck!
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

You know what?
Your having to repeat a dive don't mean a thing.
Well, it means one thing: You're human.
Some of the worst students have gone on to be world champions; or well-respected in their discipline; or great mentors; or great Instructors.
It takes time. It takes more than just a couple of jumps.
Everyone has brain locked - no one can say they have done every dive perfectly. No one.

Technically, you know what you're supposed to be doing, what you're failing to do is relax.
"Alright, smart guy, just how the fuck am I supposed to do that?"
That's easy... as your headed to the door, get your instructor to look you in the eye, stick your tongue out at him/her and smile.

Hey Mike!!! :P

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Dont beat yourself up. Many a skydiver, myself included (level 4 )have farted along the way. i am just a few jumps away from my 500th and consider myself to be a pretty competent jumper and am beginning my tandem rating.
This sport is a continuous learning curve. You will make more mistakes and learn from them on the way. I certainly do. What makes a good skydiver is when you make mistakes there the ones that dont get you hurt.

Hang in there. When you nail your next AFF jump the one you failed will be an afterthought and you will be rewarded with more confidence at the end of AFF having failed one than if you cruised through with no repeats.

I can *SO* see myself in your first post - I wanted SO badly to do everything PERFECTLY. After my AFF4, my instructor and I did the debrief, she asked "Where's the fun?" *

So... practice the movements so you're not overwhelmed...take a couple of deep breaths on the way to the door, geek the instructor...and HAVE FUN!!!

*Thanks, Kirsten, for helping me remember to 'keep it fun'... and thank you, Keith, for reminding me of it.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Well shit happens don't it? I had the privledge to jump with my instructor a few extra times during my AFF as well (Once you're off AFF getting in the air with your instructor can be a challenge). Brain lock happens don't sweat it (you are of course throwing yourself out of a plane 2 1/2 miles above the earth, it takes time to ajust :P )

But anyway I am only a coach, not an AFF-I so take my advice with a grain of salt:

1) Most imprtantly talk with your instructor to see if he/she can help you through this on the ground
2) Before your jumps go to the mock up and practice your dive flow from start to finsh, and by finish that includes a proper landing pattern. Repeat it as much as neccessary (as they say practice makes perfect).
3) HAVE FUN!!! We all have had door anxiety, This will pass with time and experience.

Good Luck and Blue Skys,

Feeble

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

EVERY skydive counts. Take it for what it is, and as others have said, have fun!

Don't worry about having to repeat a jump (I KNOW they're expensive!) - before I ever started jumping, I was sure I'd take to it right away, I'd be the perfect student who just "gets it", and I'd have perfect marks in my logbook.

My actual experience has been light years away from those expectations of myself. Stay humble, admit your mistakes, learn from them, don't make any mistake twice, and above all, again, HAVE FUN!!!!!

You'll get there. B|

T.I.N.S.

I am not to far ahead of ya working towards my A license. I think it was jump 10 or 11 when I finally got pretty comfortable with what I was doing. I did a few tandems at the beginning of the year and graduated the Static Line course pretty quick. But I still got pretty freakin nervous everytime. I just focused on what I had to do. On the way to altitude I went over it in my head all the way to deployment and any emergencies I might see. If your in a cessna 182 or similar you have plenty of time to practice. Even though I don't get nervous that much now I still am a little unsettled on the first jump of the day. If I didn't get that feeling I doubt I would like it so much. But your body will adjust to throughing itself out of an airplane. You just learn how to change nerves into fun and excitement.
- as to the training jumps. I just look at these jumps as a job. Working toward that license and fun jumps. Practicing and just working hard at the jumps is the best thing you can do. Just keep thinking about once your done with all of these jumps I will have so much fun. And if you repeat jumps just remind yourself that it is more practice to be prepared if something goes wrong in the future.

But how do you get over that feeling of disappointment, and moreso, the feeling of nervousness? I think my mind went into overload because of what I was doing (hello skydiving? It's nuts I tell youse:P) and forgot all that i practiced.

Well, you just go make another jump.

The disappointment is easy. All jumps are fun, go do it again.

Nervousness, truthfully, the plane ride still makes me nervous after 19 years. But I do get a sence of calm after I get out and into the air.

Just practice, ask questions, jump, and be smart. Every jump counts towards your license. Nerves happen. I still get them when I've had a few days off or am doing something new.

But most important, jump and get over it. Good luck!