Broke

Incident Memory

So for those of you who have been on scene of a skydiving incident, does the memory fade? Another thread got me thinking about an incident I witnessed, and I can still remember every detail as vividly as if it were happening in front of me.

It is strange because I have been on calls where once the patient got to the hospital they didn't last long at all. I have even responded to incidents where we had to document the shit out of it because the patient was DOA and had a DNR, but for some reason the skydiving incident that I witnessed when I was just a little AFFling can still be dragged out of the reseases of my mind. Still seems like it happened only yesterday even though it's been a couple of years now.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

. . . does the memory fade?

The clarity never does, the frequency of 'seeing' it eventually does.

Ditto...

I still remember every detail of some of the worst incidents from more than 10 years ago, especially the Dead Mike Vederman runway crash at WFFC '97.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I watched a guy cutaway his main at about 15 feet off the ground. The sound he made when hit the ground was sickning. I would like to forget that one, but it is still very clear in my mind. He is still alive and paralyzed from the chest down.

I guess I am lucky with the incident that I witnessed in the fact that one jumper was unharmed, and the other is still alive. For all I know he is jumping again.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I guess I am lucky with the incident that I witnessed in the fact that one jumper was unharmed, and the other is still alive. For all I know he is jumping again.

The longer you spend in the sport, the more incidents you will likely see. I have seen my fair share, as well as being involved in one incident that killed another skydiver. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

In the short time I've been in the sport (a year and a half) I have been unfortunate enough to have been around three incidents - each on a different dropzone.

During the first I was thankfully on final and didn't see the guy pound in after a low turn. I can still see him lying in the grass of his little field, lines wrapped around him.

The second, I was in the bar of the DZ I was visiting. As people outside started to make concerned noises I shut my eyes tightly - but I still heard the sound.

The third I actually saw coming in on final, braking his leg on landing. I can still hear the sound his leg made when it snapped...I shudder when I remember it.. Twardo, I hope you are right...

However, I didn't rush in to help with the latter two incidents, as more competent people had already done so. In the first one, there was only a small group of skydivers on the scene and even then I limited myself to something I could make myself useful with - first I gathered everyone's gear and put it back into the van, second I busied myself keeping the gawkers away. That's what pisses me off the most; those bovine people who will gather around any accident gazing vacantly and with their drooling mouths open at someone elses suffering - in some cases even hindring the emergency services when they try to reach the goddamn victim!
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

During my schooling, there was a fatality at my drop-zone one weekday, I went to the DZ for a packing class the day after and i walked by one of the Riggers washing off the blood from the rig and seeing all the blood going into the drain. I will never forget that and its a reminder of what can happen in this sport.

. . . does the memory fade?

The clarity never does, the frequency of 'seeing' it eventually does.

Ditto...

I still remember every detail of some of the worst incidents from more than 10 years ago, especially the Dead Mike Vederman runway crash at WFFC '97.

I still remember vividly flying over Dead Mike's body lying on the ground. Of course at the time who could have imagined that he would have lived.

I also still remember my best friends tennis shoes sticking out from under the sheet that the paramedics had covered his body with and his canopy still attached, catching air and turning his body over. It has been 9 years 5 months and a day and I doubt that I'll ever forget it.

BSBD

Similar to going to my Dads casket at 7 years old (my choice not my Moms) and now at 51 my memory is still very vivid. I witnessed a near fatal wrap at the Ranch and turned my head away just prior impact only because if it was a fatal accident my last memory would have been having a beer with her the night before, not the impact. She did deploy her reserve in the nick of time. I can't imagine watching a friend going in and I am sorry for those who have.

In my 9 odd years in the sport I have been there at 6 incidents of which I only really saw 1 happen. Two were guys landing one or two slots after me, so they struck ground when I was stowing my toggles and not looking.

This is not about what gruesome thing happened that you can't forget, it's whether the memory of that fades.
And to me, it doesn't. It is a good thing to keep these moments alive on occasion (not constantly) so you remind yourself of the "what if the sh*t goes down" when you're on "bulletproof hero" heading now and then.

The closer you are to the incident, the less it fades. I.e. I almost forgot about a guy hooking in and lamost die while i was still in AFF - he was gone in the ambulance before i landed, but a year later he showed me his video and that scared the sh*t out of me.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I was wiating to go up oon my level 5 redo, so I was, "Watching the winds." Yeah I saw it all happen. Took me a few howers before I decided to get back up in the air
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

About 1982, when I was a kid, I witnessed a streamer at Antioch, CA. I still remember as though it were yesterday. The woman survived. Does anyone else remember this incident?
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-Benjamin Franklin-

From a psychological perspective, invite the memory as often as you can. If you avoid it then it will stay raw. If you invite it in, it gets easier

As someone who has seen 2 fatalities, I totally disagree with you. It's like scratching an open wound.

Don't think about it more than a few minutes, then try to focus on something else.

To answer the original question, Yes, it does get easier to deal with as time passes by, but you never forget how painful it is to see someone get killed for no good reason.

It was a hit n chug. He apparently had a bright idea and thought it was a good idea to cut away his main right as he was about to touch down. Then he would have a head start on chugging the beer. He didn't quite factor in the physics involved and miscalculated his distance from the ground. A really really dumb mistake that he gets to pay for, for the rest of his life. He never flared at all before cutting away his main.

I had a nice front row view, being that I was the third down on that last load of the day. I can still see his shit eating grin as he took his hand out of his toggles and reached for his cut away handle.

I can still see his shit eating grin as he took his hand out of his toggles and reached for his cut away handle.

Unreal.

No shit. Had to have been there to see that shit-eating grin change to something else, huh? :D:oB|:P

I thought he was dead. It happened so quick, his expression never changed. He hit the ground hard and didn't move. There was a pretty big crowd there. I have never heard a crowd get so quiet so quickly. I think we were all in total shock.

This thread really got me remembering that incident. I try not to think about it too much. Every so often it runs through my mind and reminds me not to take anything for granted in this sport, to not get over confident and make sure you think things out thoroughly before you do them. I wish he had said something in the plane. I and others would have done our best to talk him out of it.

This thread really got me remembering that incident. I try not to think about it too much. Every so often it runs through my mind and reminds me not to take anything for granted in this sport, to not get over confident and make sure you think things out thoroughly before you do them. I wish he had said something in the plane. I and others would have done our best to talk him out of it.

I know of one incident that happened in Knoxville a number of years ago. I believe it was a demo jump. Somebody decided to cutaway over the water (Tennessee River). Only problem is he misjudged his height (very easy to do over water). Impact with the water resulted in a torn aorta. I don't remember how high he was.

Just don't fucking do it, over land or water! :S

Just don't fucking do it, over land or water!

Yea no kidding! It had never occured to me that anyone would ever cut away above ground. When he pulled his hand out of his toggle the thought that went through my mind was "How is he going to flare like that?"