buba07

How current is current?

Hi,

I've just completed my eight AFF Levels! Well chuffed and can't wait to get on with my consoles. However...much as I would love to jump every weekend, kids dictate this isn't going to happen.

So that makes me ask...how current does a jumper need to be to be current?

Thanks for any clarity.

www.freefallphil.blogspot.com
Thanks

Freefallphil.

Some countries have guidelines that spell out currency requirements. Since you have no information in your profile, it is hard to tell how this applies to you.

Currency is somewhat subjective. Everyone is different in their ability to retain information, training, etc. One general principle that applies in most areas is: "The greater the total experience, the less currency required". The converse of that being that the newer you are, the more currency you need. Someone who has been jumping for many years may lay off for 6 months and not be affected, whereas someone, like you, right off of AFF, should not skip a great deal of time between jumps. Your instructors and local Safety folks should be able to give you guidance in this area.

Kevin K.

In the US, you need to make at least one jump every 30 days to stay current, though it's generally not considered current enough to stay safe. This is while you're a student. Currency requirements are different for all license levels.

Go visit the USPA's website, and download a copy of the SIM. It will have all the answers pertaining to currency.

Good luck, and congrats on your progression!

Gato
T.I.N.S.

In addition to kkeenan's notes, another quesiton is "current to do what?"

Go out and safely do a solo? Do a relaxed 8-way RW dive with friends? Jump on a 65-way head-down record and swoop your 79 velocity over the pond?

You can imagine those would be different answers.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

In the US, you need to make at least one jump every 30 days to stay current

Wrong. Not all DZ's in the US are USPA GM's. Staying current on your EP's, going over your emergency procedures, is a good thing to do while away from the drop zone. If you aren't able to jump for a long period of time, when you do get to jump, it wont hurt to hire an instructor to go over them again as well.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

If I only do 10 jumps a month, I don't feel current. If I only do 20 jumps a month I feel kind of current.

Wow, that is current! In the UK with your own rig and packing thats over £400 per month! Is that normal or is it cheaper the US?

Thanks for the replies. I didn't listen to my AFF instructor at first due to family pressures, however I completely agree with him now. 4 or 5 jumps in a day really pay dividends. So going to try to do as many as I can on each visit.

Thanks again.
Thanks

Freefallphil.

In the UK with your own rig and packing thats over £400 per month! Is that normal or is it cheaper the US?

Thats about the same, but in USD :P Do odd jobs around the DZ to pay for jumps, pack for jumps, then get some ratings. For one its great getting to teach students. Its very rewarding. Two it helps subsidize jumping. Since I'm not a full time skydiver, it definitely doesn't pay for its self, but it helps off set a lot of the cost out of my pocket.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Wow, that is current! In the UK with your own rig and packing thats over £400 per month! Is that normal or is it cheaper the US?

yes it's cheaper to jump in the US. £400 per month in the UK is not unusual, in fact its about average as you can find out here. Lots of jumpers spend a whole lot more..

Whatever you spend, it's worth every penny my friend.

You can't take it with you.
but what do I know