SkyPainter

Jumping shoes/sneakers

While on the way to a boogie I took the factory tour reps from PD, UPT and Mirage to a Walmart for some supplies.

They kept talking of the need to buy some sneakers from Walmart because it's the only, shoes they use for swooping in. They said they liked them because they look very much like Van's, but mostly because the soles are the best for sliding in on their swoops.

We bought three or four pair including mine.

Wow were they right. These are the best shoes I ever worn for swooping. I like to drag one foot while sliding to a stop on the other and these shoes are great. Even when the grass is dry and brown these shoes have the best no grip soles and slide really well.

Best part is they only cost $25.00. And believe it or not the name of the shoes: " Air Speeds".

Give them a try you won't regret it.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I just jump in those $5 black water sock things from SuperChina*Mart. They don't have any snag points and have a hard sole but allow me to feel the air on my feet.

If they tear up, so what just get some more. If you're into the cool-factor thing - you can say they're ninja.B|

It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

'tuck in those laces kid'

thats about the best advice i've read on here, what a simple solution to a problem that bothered me so much while backtracking.. probably the visual of the laces flapping in the wind made me überconcious that i DONT want to loose my shoes.. :$:P:D

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I'm wearing either my vintage Airwalk Vics (with Lace savers), or, as they've started falling apart some hi/mid-back sneakers (Vans)...
Generally many skate sneakers have some ankle support.

Anything goes as long as it's not hiking boots with quicklace hooks. Linesnag is not something you'd like on your feet...
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Oh cool, a thread I can add to! I just got some Keen's and I love 'em. Air blows through but lots of tread and toe bumpers :P

Be sure to snug 'em down though. I forgot to cinch them in and lost one in freefall. Luckily, we have an awesome pilot because the shoe landed right smack in the middle of the runway. B|

pretty much anything that's comfortable and you don't mind losing will work.

This is how my tennis shoe use goes:

1) Buy new shoes, wear them for work and non-skydiving activities. Try and keep them nice...until...

2) New shoes that are now too worn to look nice anymore become my skydiving shoes.

3) Skydiving shoes that are now pretty battered become my gardening shoes. :P

I've used this cycle for the past 12 years and it's served me great. They all wear out to their next level about the same time.

Guess I might make another category now:

4) When the gardening shoes get replaced with my skydiving shoes....the gardening shoes go to the dog. ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I double knot mine and sometimes they still manage to get untied!

If the shoes are really important to you, try thumb tacks.

Another vote for well-worn Vans here. Color is your choice.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Newbie question-
My wife and I are going to start training soon and she has EXTREMELY weak ankles. I was originally going to get her some motocross boot as she would break a leg before an ankle with those but I saw some say that you need to point your toes. Why is that? Should I go with an ankle brace that allows her to point her feet but not move them sideways?

Newbie question-
My wife and I are going to start training soon and she has EXTREMELY weak ankles. I was originally going to get her some motocross boot as she would break a leg before an ankle with those but I saw some say that you need to point your toes. Why is that? Should I go with an ankle brace that allows her to point her feet but not move them sideways?

Mainly you need to point your toes when you track away from a formation. Those who can't point their toes would be at a disadvantage but not incapable of maneuvering. I'd call up the dropzone and ask an instructor what they would recommend before purchasing anything.
Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793