billvon

Aircraft for the 500-way

So we used stretch C-130's for the 400-way, holding about 85 people per airplane. It's rated for 64 paratroopers (with seats) and we squeezed the remainder in by basically not using seats and sitting on the floor.

With the 500-way, do we use six or seven C-130's? That's a lot of planes to coordinate. Perhaps more importantly, that's 28 engines that have to work all week, and that was a bit of an issue last time.

Perhaps it's time to move on and put those cramped C-130's behind us. The new Airbus transport, the A-400, can carry 116 paratroopers, so we can probably do 135 per plane comfortably. That's 3 planes for the entire 500-way. (More importantly, only 12 engines.)

Would the exits get more strung out? Maybe, maybe not. We could do 5 abreast on the C-130. If we can do 8 abreast on the A-400, we come out ahead. Exits, of course, might get even more zoo-y - unless the stall speed is lower, which might help matters.

Now we just have to convince Thailand to order a handful . . .

Bet you could get away with 2 AN-225's if it had a tail gate to jump out of. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An-225

1 of these , or 1 An-124

Yep)
A Guiness record of throwing 600 people from one plane was planned in Ukraine on this summer...
But now this event is canceled=/
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

D'oh! That will teach me to try to do math in my head. Make that 170 per plane. At those sizes, exiting rapidly enough is going to be the biggest problem. Unless we can put floater bars all the way from the nose to the tail . . .

D'oh! That will teach me to try to do math in my head. Make that 170 per plane. At those sizes, exiting rapidly enough is going to be the biggest problem. Unless we can put floater bars all the way from the nose to the tail . . .

Make it a porch and floater bar! Like the Super King Air T-Tail 200 used to have. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yeah, but who ya gonna get to front float on that bitch?

You up for it Kallend?:D

Sure, If I don't have to hang out there getting hypoxic for 2 minutes while the pilots get their act together.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.