gregpso

Are tandem cutaways less likely than high perf canopy

I have just returned to sport after 25years (old t10s) Quick question are the big tandem canopies less likely to mal than the new high performance ram air ones. My family will be making tandems soon. Also prob a stupid question but re the 3 ring cutaway system has there ever been a documented case where the canopy cutaway without the jumper pulling anything. I suppose this system has stood the test of time.. but if it just cutaway at 200 feet.. good night.
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

Quick question are the big tandem canopies less likely to mal than the new high performance ram air ones.

Any canopy can malfunction. Most of it has to do with maintance and packing. I've had more tandem rides then sport rides, BUT there are others who are different.

Also prob a stupid question but re the 3 ring cutaway system has there ever been a documented case where the canopy cutaway without the jumper pulling anything

I'm sure there is, but I haven't heard of one from a properly built and maintained 3-rings setup. You might have some old fart that knew a guy that heard his buddy had a friend go in due to his 3-rings releasing in 1981, but there's a reason why its the hands down standard!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have just returned to sport after 25years (old t10s) Quick question are the big tandem canopies less likely to mal than the new high performance ram air ones. My family will be making tandems soon. Also prob a stupid question but re the 3 ring cutaway system has there ever been a documented case where the canopy cutaway without the jumper pulling anything. I suppose this system has stood the test of time.. but if it just cutaway at 200 feet.. good night.

Stop thinking so deeply and do the tandem :P

You cauld get runover by a bus because you 'hadnt foreseen that the subway you were walking on collapsed'

etc etc ad infinatum

but as to the 3 rings question. The tandems at our DZ use an RSL (reserve static line) which when the 3 rings sytem is used and the canopy is cutaway, acts to pull the reserve out with the main thaty has been cutaway.
If anyone cuts away at 200ft they are gonna have problems....but..and some of the experienced people here will hopefully comment (as Im a newbie) but Ive only heard of 3 ring system detachment (partial) due to catching the cutaway pad velcro or other accident.

I think it's good to educate yourself about the risks and the equipment before doing your tandem.

As for the 3-rings any tandem master I've seen carefully checks the equipment before jumping it. This includes making sure that the 3 rings are properly configured (cutaway cable is properly routed and has enough cable stowed past the loop). Most tandem rigs are equipped with an RSL and stevens lanyard - at least ours are. This ensures that the reserve will deploy if either or both of the 3 rings are released. A growing number of tandem rigs are also equipped with skyhooks which can deploy the reserve in as little as 75'

-Michael

yeah, but who packs your tandem canopy? I bet its not ? Tongue

and I bet you pack your own sport gear though...

I rarely pack my sport gear. I have 1300 tandems out of my 2400 jumps. I have had 4 tandem rides and 2 sport rides.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Over 2000 tandems, Zero malfunctions! No tandem malfunctions primarily due to good gear manit, good packing, and no Dacron line tandem mains. I did look up yesterday to see my slider stuck way up, with slack line below it, then it popped down. Had a discussion with packers on potential causes of tension knots. My drop zone over 7 years, and 4000 to 5000 tandems, one line over tandem mal!

Talking the other day with a guy who trained with us, and now jumps at a fairly large Texas DZ. I asked him how many tandem malfunctions he has, and I think it's something like 10. He said "You guys don't have packers doing two tandem packs per Otter cycle." No, we don't!

Somewhere over 1000 jumps on sport mains, one line twist cut away, one student pull above 2000' fired an FXC AAD, released the main.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ