dragon2

name this mal

If it is a lineover then where did my pilotchute/bridle go? It has to be trapped underneath the lineover then, which doesn't seem that likely to me since it is just a small lineover and to the side. This is what got me wondering yesterday...

Looking at the 'reserve.jpg' picture, there is some yellowish material visible directly to the left of the 'kink' in the canopy, where the 'lineover' appears.
Was the PC the same colour as the slider?

The pc is green which is indeed what you see there.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Looks to me from the video as if the PC must have come over the nose on opening, and snagged from the underside, either a C or D line/lines. This caused the configuration you see as the tension from the bridal was trying to pull it back-to-front and back over the top, in effect partially collapsing that right side. Going frame-by-frame the PC is seen JUST over the trailing edge in maybe 3 frames worth, and it looks to me as if it also has (probably a C) line caught on it ...which was being pulled around very much "as if" a lineover.

That's my GUESS anyway.
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

That was my guess as well after looking at the vid a couple of times yesterday...

At the time it looked like a lineover, and it definately looked like something I ought to chop whatever it was, which I did, and that's the most important part :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The right part of the tail has slipped between the outside A-B and C-D line groups. Similar to the Mae West mulfunction in rounds. I'll guess it was propacked and occurred when flaking the line groups - I've come very close to packing myself one of these.

Chopping was the only workable solution. That slight slider hangup and closed left end cell on the reserve ride was a bonus. Stay safe!

Bob

Hi,

Yes it was pro-packed.

And BOTH endcells were closed this reserve ride. I broke my nose the first ride I had on that reserve because I had to land a 128 sqft reserve minus the right endcell which had no air in it whatsoever... I don't have interconnection holes in my reserve, and did not know that :S So I ended up hook-flaring myself into the frozen ground, ouch, not recommended.
Next reserve ride was an intentional just before this one, no problem. Then this reserve ride I had slight endcell closure on BOTH sides... But now I know how to deal with it. The last reserve ride so far (knock knock) on it, again, no problem. However, if somebody has a nice PD126 or Techno 128 lying around for free???? :D

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Then this reserve ride I had slight endcell closure on BOTH sides... But now I know how to deal with it.

How did you deal with it?

Well the first time it happened I tried pumping (that supposedly NEVER works so why was I taught that as a student? Never had closed endcells before even as a student so didn't try this before).
Then tried holding the toggles down a little longer (amazing how fast you can count when your reserve isn't flying at its best).
Then tried adding speed by turning and by frontrisering a bit so that the pressure would open the endcells. That could never have worked due to lack of crossports on this particular model, but I was only told that AFTER.
I finally debated stalling the canopy but thought that since it was FLYING and I could keep it flying straight (however, no flare left that way) and it was my LAST canopy I'd better leave well enough alone, didn't want a lineover or something.

Number 2 works. Nowhere close to stalling but full brakes. However you need to hold the toggles down quite long (see video, it took me about 10 secs this time, and the right side must've cleared when I steared back towards the DZ with my rear riser).
This supposedly is common knowledge but I didn't know it when I needed it first...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

This supposedly is common knowledge but I didn't know it when I needed it first...

It is, but the pumping is also a very common misconception it seems. The idea of holding in deep brakes is to slow the canopy to reduce the air pressure holding the cells closed and allow airflow into the nose to inflate the cell.

Page 40 of the 2005 SIM details how to clear this but also may explain why so many are confused over the pumping issue.

c. end-cell closure

(1) Bring both toggles to the bottom of the stroke to slow the canopy and pump at the bottom of the control range.

(Alternates include using rear risers which I usually do now.)

So it looks like the pumping you were taught should be AFTER you've brought the toggles down to slow. I've never had to pump, just slowing the canopy does it and that's also what I was taught on a canopy control course after AFF.

I haven't looked at the vid, but wanted to say something about walk or step through(s). Sometimes they can happen, when you spin around to control the canopy in a strong wind after landing. They can also occur when you take the rig off and lay it down, or when it's picked up again. It's the reason for doing a line continuity check each time you pack.

If you don't do your own packing, well, there you go . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Well the first time it happened I tried pumping (that supposedly NEVER works so why was I taught that as a student? Never had closed endcells before even as a student so didn't try this before).

What do you mean it never works? I have closed end cells probably 85% of my openings (sabre2) and I always just pump the rear risers a little and have no problems inflating them. Also flaring works, but its usually something i want to do right away so i use my rears.

As far as packing, I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to pack a partial step through; if it was already there and you (or the packer) didint flake it out all the way there would just be a wad in the canopy, which a tired packer may not notice or care about. Right?

I donno -- it looks like crap.

It's not square and don't flare... above 2,000' -- I'd chop it.

--line over--

Above 2000 only? I think I know what you mean, but if I ended up <2000 ft but >1000 ft with a crappy canopy I'd still chop it!

BTW I settled on not-flaked tail, not really a lineover but close enough...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

At the time it looked like a lineover, and it definately looked like something I ought to chop whatever it was, which I did, and that's the most important part :)

May I add kudos to the jumpmaster for spotting from this C-47 so that the main and freebag landed right beside the club-bar. Well done Oortje! ;)
Chaos, panic, & disorder - my work here is done

May I add kudos to the jumpmaster for spotting from this C-47 so that the main and freebag landed right beside the club-bar. Well done Oortje! ;)

True. He was fairly taken with himself too ;)
Henny saw the main floating by: "Hey that's my canopy!" Not: "How's Saskia" :S:D

ciel bleu,
Saskia