SHem

Tandem Instructor says "you're number one!"

Good luck with that, JP.

:D Not into a "uniform" eh?

What are your plans if you get elected?

Working on a blog for that, and check out the Election forum for what's already been said....:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

For all you self righteous opinionated "professionals" That want to turn the DZ into a military academy.............You should look closer at that pic. That guy is definately crossing his fingers. Although, I'm sure he is giving you guys the finger right now.
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

Not sure what is going on with the fingers, but, the TI having his arms under his students during deployment is not good.

Keith

''Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.'' - Ernest Hemingway

:D Not into a "uniform" eh?

Nah. I do that sort of thing at work.

Working on a blog for that, and check out the Election forum for what's already been said.

I will. I forgot about that forum.:S

My photos

My Videos

Spence,

Your initial indignation to the picture was what I was referring to.

As for the arm lock, I've seen AFF students do FAR FAR worse to their instructors (bear hugged by a really big guy).

Pictures are funny things - they capture this specfic moment in time, but almost never with context - we dont know what 'motion' was going on and who initiated what.

Honestly, it seems like me like half of you just want to find a reason to bitch about the picture.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

agreed... we can all be loose and have fun with each other...that's the sport and everything that comes with it...but when it comes to a professional product that people are paying for (tandem vid and stills) the standards, at least for me, are different. To each his own. I don't make decisions for other videots or Parachutist, but I have my standards and code of conduct in this area.

But if they're paying for it, and THEY choose to do it in their video - isn't it your responsibility to give them what they apparently want?

Ian

Nobody said anything about a military academy except you. If a DZ wants to present a professional image to their customers, what's wrong with that? Not all do, and sometimes that's a negative to customers.

No one is saying instructors must be rank, and file, goose stepping and whatnot. But maybe staff shirts and a positive attitude?:)

Ahhh, Pia, I didn't remember it being the TM (I thought it was the student).

My apologies folks, I mis-remembered (I must be getting way too old!) B|

Still, at least it turns out it was just crossed fingers :)
And Pia, I like the Swiss - especially the ones in tight red tanktops :ph34r:

I haven't seen the picture, but staff shirt or no, *I* think it's unprofessional of a TI to be flipping the bird on a customers video, no matter what the customer is doing.

And it sounds like it's a moot point anyway.

Ok, someone help me with this. The gesture of the TI, as of now, is not certain. So far it's all speculation. We can see it's not the finger. But if it's the "You're #!", that's considered unprofessional? That's taboo? What if it were a thumbs up? What about a high five on the ground captured for posterity? You're saying that,in effect, whenever a TM gesticulates in any fashion it is unprofessional and to be avoided and not shown to the student? Or just certain gestures? Like ones that essentially say "Good job" "Yahoo" "Isn't this fun?" "Welcome to skydiving"...? Am I to believe a TI is expected to remain a button down, conservative, emotion-free, expressionless android who is not allowed to engage with a student? I can see this being a matter of individual choice. But unprofessional?

I also note that a disproportionate amount of the postings here are by people reacting to hearsay and have not actually seen the photo. And much of that hearsay is guessing at what the gesture in question is or means. How can anyone offer an opinion based on ignorance and speculation and without a shred of evidence? Remember when Senator Bill Frist diagnosed Terri Schaivo after watching her on video? People. relax. I find it at once interesting and disturbing that judgement is being passed while no one knows diddly about any of it. No one so far knows the TI. No one so far knows the relationship between the TI & student. No one so far knows what they talked about before. And no one seems capable of allowing a simple, non-threatening, non-vulgar, culturally accepted gesture of goodwill. We came here to have fun people. Let's.

Spence,

As for the arm lock, I've seen AFF students do FAR FAR worse to their instructors (bear hugged by a really big guy).

Pictures are funny things - they capture this specfic moment in time, but almost never with context - we dont know what 'motion' was going on and who initiated what.

Honestly, it seems like me like half of you just want to find a reason to bitch about the picture.

Ian

Ian,

You know I am no prude. I'll flip someone off or drop the F-bomb in a New York second. I just tried not to do it when I was working for the DZ. If you think this is acceptable for DZ staff that's cool. The next time I see you we'll go around and get in as many student videos with a double flip and a hardy "Fuck you buddy".

Good god people, relax a bit - this is FUN, remember?

This has got to be the funniest statement made in the history of dz.com by a moderator. How about taking a close look at all the moderators recent behavior on dorkzone and then ask yourself who truly needs to relax around here.

Cant wait to see how long it takes for this post to disappear. :S

Spence,

Ian

Ian,

You know I am no prude. I'll flip someone off or drop the F-bomb in a New York second. I just tried not to do it when I was working for the DZ. If you think this is acceptable for DZ staff that's cool. The next time I see you we'll go around and get in as many student videos with a double flip and a hardy "Fuck you buddy".

I'll cast my vote with Spence and Diablo on this one - the key here is not (any) TI flipping the bird (regardless of whether the TI in the OP did or not), it's if he does so on video, which is preserved and can be broadcast or posted anywhere on the Net.

Professional public image is important in most businesses. If 2 employees of a business flip each other off in the back room, who cares? But if they did it out in the public area in view of the customers or clients, the boss would have good reason to be pissed.