rehmwa

Skydiving Mag Article - Packers are Leeches on the sport

No I am not a subscriber. I need to find the voucher I won in the Collegiates raffle two years back.

Is there an online version of the article?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

funny stuff

me? i'm a free market person, I think it's a demand that's being filled

the mileage of various DZO's may vary, void where prohibited

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Yep.

I can think of several 8-way teams that would only do 8 jumps a day instead of the usual 10-14 jumps a day they would do with packers. That's 54 jumps the DZO would miss out on. Multiply that by 4 teams and you'd lose a LOT of business.

I can think of several 8-way teams that would only do 8 jumps a day instead of the usual 10-14 jumps a day they would do with packers. That's 54 jumps the DZO would miss out on. Multiply that by 4 teams and you'd lose a LOT of business.

I agree. packers provide a valuable service to the drop zone.

The author's fulla shit. I prefer to pack my own (shut up, Pops), and I cringe at people who remain ignorant of their own gear because they only use packers. That being said, packers simply fill a demand in a free-market economy. Plus, in a pinch, their meat can be tenderized by being beaten with a crowbar.

So what were the arguments made?

After recovering from the shoulder break, I relied on packers for a bit - actually found more trouble from the broken bone in the hand than the shoulder. Recently I finally got over the hurdle, though I have limits to the number of pack jobs I can do in a day.

I have found that my packs tend to open softer than their's. Seems to be the price (aside from the bucks) to pay for the convenience.

and I cringe at people who remain ignorant of their own gear because they only use packers.

I mostly only use packers, but i am not ignorant about my gear. I mostly jump on fridays. While the packer is packing i conduct buis. calls. I also own 2 rigs so i can do back to back loads. I only have one day a week to jump. I have to make it count. What is wrong with that???
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Anyone read that?

Yup it's a false rationale, I think the DZ would lose money as a lot of people are just to lazy to pack or dont know/have confidence.
Then there aRE THE TEAMS, take their packers away and the days jump count will drop dramatically
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Yes I read it.
It is just one person's opinion.

Definitely more than one person think that way.

As for me...I think its the pilots that are leeching.
Imagine how much money the dzo would save if they didnt have to pay pilots.:D
My photos

My Videos

Did not read it.

My hats are off to the excellent packers at Skydive Atlanta. You guys rock !

I would much rather use a good packer and save my time and energy for skydiving.

Great response!

I know some days you do a wingsuit, 2 loads later your freefly, then you want to bellyfly with someone like us!

If that doesn't justify using packers, then they just don't understand & never will!
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

Agreed. Packers at most DZ's make the jumps more fun, allow more time for debrief, and allow back to back video loads all day.
Gotta thank Justin and T-Mo at SDU for keeping me in the air, Eric at Pepperell, Nylon City, and the folks at Eloy for being fast, professional, and capable.

Hey Betsy, don't you think it's time you guys put in air conditioning for the packers?
Wonder if the above buys me any discount? :P

So I'm a leech. It keeps me in jump tickets and has been really good for improving my packing skills. Last reserve I did went together 10 times better and no doubt that was due to a neater pro-pack. As a leech I like to pay other leeches to pack my gear when I'm out jumping. Saves energy.

I didn't notice the article - what page was it on?

-Michael

Yeah, that article is fulla shit. I read it. Once to see what it was about, a second time to do a double-take.

At our dropzone, packers serve another purpose that hasn't been mentioned yet. It allows younger jumpers to enter a sport which would be out of the affordable range for many young college students. They are able to subsidize their jumps by packing, and as a dropzone, we are able to throw more students, more tandems, and more fun jumps. The article was false rationale.
=========Shaun ==========

Didn't read the article but if paying a packer is too expensive, DO IT YOUR LAZY FUCKING SELVES.

Maybe you SHOULD read the article, because you comment has nothing to do with it:D:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Not saying a word.
:D:D:P

I didn't read the article yet but it sounds like the author has an axe to grind or is just simply doing the Devil's Advocate thing. Packers fill a need and contribute to the DZ's bottom line.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Anyone read that?

It was about a DZO who's:

A: Grounded in the past "glory" of the sport
B: Can't manage his bidnez (if the packers are taking up too much of the floor space - MOVE THEM you idiot)
C: Is missing out on income (if there is a demand for packers, make the packers charge $1 more and you keep it - it's called a concession)

there are DZ's that won't evolve with the sport and they'll be considered "quaint" and their DZO's will be considered "cranky" :S
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?