beacbmsim1

jumping next to a tandem jumper

Not for a while (if your DZ is into that whole safety thing). How many jumps you'll need will be up to the tandem instructor, but at least one manufacturer of tandem equipment requires 500 RW jumps before you can come along.

Jumping with tandems isn't something you want to be doing until you're really really in control. They can be weird to stay with... and being in the wrong place could kill all three of you. I've seen a couple very experienced jumpers end up on top of tandem pairs... not a good place to be.

Dave

Why do us newbies always want to do the coolest most rediculous kinds of jumps when we get started? I was the same way. I REALLY wanted to do a jump into my High School prom in my suit and everything. Then I did a class project and wanted to do a jump into the field track behind our school as a part of the presentation. I thought I'd like to do a similar jump to the OP, with my little sister on a tandem. Ah well. Pipe dreams still rock.
PULL!! or DIE!!

Why do us newbies always want to do the coolest most rediculous kinds of jumps when we get started? I was the same way. I REALLY wanted to do a jump into my High School prom in my suit and everything. Then I did a class project and wanted to do a jump into the field track behind our school as a part of the presentation. I thought I'd like to do a similar jump to the OP, with my little sister on a tandem. Ah well. Pipe dreams still rock.

dreams are goals, set them and go get it! there is no reason why you wouldnt be able to do those things one day.
B|

My buddy and business colleague is always raggin on me cuz I always talk about how skydiving is awesome and he doesn't think it is at all. I too only have an A license and I've always wanted to be dropped above his house (while he's mowing his lawn) and swoop into his backyard and kick him in the face while i swoop and land and then turn to him and say "that was awesome!". One day....

My buddy and business colleague is always raggin on me cuz I always talk about how skydiving is awesome and he doesn't think it is at all. I too only have an A license and I've always wanted to be dropped above his house (while he's mowing his lawn) and swoop into his backyard and kick him in the face while i swoop and land and then turn to him and say "that was awesome!". One day....

No matter how bad this sounds. I want to see that. I'd pay to see it.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

dreams are goals, set them and go get it! there is no reason why you wouldnt be able to do those things one day.
B|

Since I started jumping, I always wanted to jump into center of my hometown...
Just a couple of years later I did! Demo, with flag, in front of my friends and family. Aaaah, how supersweet was that! B|:)
dudeist skydiver #42

Nope, but you can ride up the plane with them.

...So you can exit the plane just before your friend/family sticking your tongue out and making faces... for them it would be the same like you jumped with them.
dudeist skydiver #42

...So you can exit the plane just before your friend/family sticking your tongue out and making faces... for them it would be the same like you jumped with them.

Exactly!! I just took my girl for her first tandem on her birthday last week. I would have loved to fly with them but this is just not safe for the tandem pair or me (a low experience jumper). What I did do is talk to the TM and Videographer and set it up so they were the first tandem pair to exit and I exited just before them.

The Videographer slipped me in a couple cameos on the ground and the ride up along with my exit, were I blew her a kiss out the door. It was a very memorable jump for me as well as a kick ass ride for her:ph34r:

A big thanks to Chris-TM and Ki-Video and (Skydive Space Center) for a very memorable jump from the both of us;)
“As you know, these are open forums, you’re able to come and listen to what I have to say.” –George W. Bush, 10.28.03.

Yeah, me too. I wanted to jump into my 10 year high school reunion when I had only been in the sport 3 years and less than 100 jumps. Oh well, there's always my 25 year reunion! ;) I missed the 20th. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've just recently gotten into skydiving and have my A license. many of my friends would like to try a tandem jump. would i be able to jump with them while there attached to there tandem instructor, like fall next to them?

.... "I recently got my drivers' license, and i'd like to enter the Indy 500".. " do you think that would be OK" ?;):o:S;)
hahahaha

same thing here, friend...:|
... the last thing a TM and camera person NEEDS,,, is a 3rd party geeker...when that person is new to the sport...
Much different many years down the road...
I believe that most tandem manufacturers require a rating ( Tandem AFF etc, ) a minimum of 500 jumps, or that an accompanying jumper be a well experienced camera flyer,, in order to skydive with a tandem. and even THEN,,, the dive takes on a whole different complexity...

A thorough dirt dive is in order,,, including discussion of where to BE and where NOT to be... what to do, and when to do it,,, staying well within the view of the TM and any outside camera person....
and even then,,, Chances are that the Student could be so over loaded,, that when asked ,, did you see me?? they respond... " No were you IN the air with us"????B|:P:):ph34r:

this sport is not a 100 yard dash.. and EVERY thing doesn't get accomplished in a year or two.

it's more like a marathon,, ( without the exhaustion factor ) and the idea is to savor and enjoy each accomplishment, each in it's own time. and you will...

... ..as for 'hero demos'.... same thing... let's be careful out there...

enjoy
skydive safely

jmy.

UPT says:

500 RW jumps or a tandem or AFF rating
100 jumps within the last year

And if you want to bring a camera along, you need those requirements plus at least 100 camera jumps.

But in the end, it's up to the tandem instructor to decide. He's the one responsible for the student's safety.

Dave

Yep, it's the instructor's call... I didn't meet the requirements when I chased my first tandem. Probably had 250-300 jumps or so. I didn't know the manufacturer's rules at the time though.

Dave

Same here, about the same amount of jumps too. And it was my instructor's tandem that he let me join in, with my future wife, who wasn't even my girlfriend yet. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban