skyh2omedic

Public safety skydivers

I'm curious and would like to gain some informal information for future discussion purposes.
How many skydivers out there work in the public safety sector and in which states. Such as Firefighters, Medics, Lifeguards, SAR personnel, Wildland FF's, etc.?
Thanks in advance for your input. Have a safe day out there.
"You can't teach what you don't know and you can't lead where you won't go"

Would a prosecutor be in "public safety"? If so, does that mean that a defense attorney is in "public un-safety?" But defense attorneys help guard against over-reaching by the government. And that makes the public safer, right? Just like the (U.S.) 2nd Amendment protects against government tyranny. So what about Jumpers who are in the NRA? Are they "public safety", "public un-safety" or (horrors) None Of The Above?

Thanks a lot. You're making our heads hurt. In life, semantics is everything. You're not anti-Semantic, are you?

Part of my job is to make sure the contractors on site are following OSHA and our internal safety requirements. Our requirements are to protect not only the workers, but the general public that use our facilities. I'm in California.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Part of my job is to make sure the contractors on site are following OSHA and our internal safety requirements. Our requirements are to protect not only the workers, but the general public that use our facilities. I'm in California.

Do you have an orange vest and a shinny safety whistle?

Retired Firefighter US Forest Service, (wildland) EMT, Pro Ski Patrol, Avalanche control, Dog trainer/ handler. I was stationed in the Pacific Northwest but I have worked fire assignments in most western states including Alaska. I expect to relocate back to the west in the near future and I may get back into alpine sports and maybe fire in a support role.
Onward and Upward!

Question for you. I was talking to my friend today who is going through union classes and had OSHA training this week. And I was talking to him about if a steel worker could wear a BASE rig instead of a fall protection harness. I mean if you fall your good if you just wanna get down quick at the end of the day your good there too. Plus it'd just plain kick ass. B| Any insight?

I am a Deputy Sheriff in Indiana. When I was going through the applicant screening process for my department they asked specifically about skydiving during one of the psychological tests. I decided to answer honestly and told them I was a jumper. :)

The way that test works is that you fill out a book with about 700 questions ( seriously ) , the computer grades them to throw out the lunatics , then a psychologist builds a profile of you and calls you back in a few weeks and they have you go deeper into the things they didn't like about your responses. A couple of weeks pass and I go to my session and the guy starts off by asking about my answer to the skydiving question. I end up explaining to the guy how safe the sport is now days, the amount of training that is involved and how much safer modern rigs are with AAD's and stuff like that. I went on to tell him how the sport has actually helped me out in other aspects of my life. He seemed satisfied with my answers and ended up passing me. :P

When I was going through the applicant screening process for my department they asked specifically about skydiving during one of the psychological tests. I decided to answer honestly and told them I was a jumper.

Gee, that sounds really familiar. Although they didn't care so much during the psych eval, but they really cared during the oral review board. Since I hadn't held a "real" job in a couple of years I had to explain about the responsibilities of being a skydiving instructor. I guess it worked, since I did get hired.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."