cyn

What happens to the raft?

Unfortunately, the sad thing about this place is that, that is all you people seem to do. Look the profile, make a generalization and then rant about safety

actually, a lot of people on dz.com know each other across the globe and we can often figure out pretty quickly correct details about the poster assuming they have given name and dz for example.

Anyway, if you want to try a safer raft jump, look for the muff brothers like Mr HappyThoughts' at one of the boogies they go to. As you can tell from his post, there's lots of experience there.

PS Happythoughts....nice raft jump photos, but wheres the nudity??:o

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

If I do something stupid and it gets me killed I guess I'm the one that suffers, although I'm not that person.

This is not true and is a very selfish statement. It effects the facility where you are jumping, it effect anyone that happens to see it happen, it effects those that have to scrape your twisted body up and put it in a bag.

I had a good friend that got himself killed at my event and managed to take someone with him. That damn sure effected alot of people and put an end to a fun and popular boogie.

There are several ways I can think of that an air mattress rigged with ropes and hand holds could kill someone. They all bother me more then where the mattress might land. The fact that someone told you to hold on to the damn thing should more then show you how deadly not knowing many of the things people have told you here can be.

This thread started with the wrong question and you seem to have an attitude that just may kill you. I'm hoping that the attitude that is perceived here is just an internet thing.

As for me.I am the ass that I come across as. Don't bother to respond to this because I won't get into a long exchange about this.

If you want some good advice you should keep your search confined to your local DZ. Ask people there that you know, trust, and respect.

I think if you go back to the beginning someone suggested the same thing and it was found to be unuseful information. Classic.

ps. I never said I was going to rig an airmattress up with ropes & hand holds. hahahahhaa. this is unreal. sigh. such a shame.

Can someone please tell me what a crappy aggresive, sarcastic attitude I have again? I find it very helpful to my raft jump research. ;):ph34r:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body"

Anyway, if you want to try a safer raft jump, look for the muff brothers like Mr HappyThoughts' at one of the boogies they go to. As you can tell from his post, there's lots of experience there.

PS Happythoughts....nice raft jump photos, but wheres the nudity??:o

Ah, yes... The two rules for boobies on raft jumps...

1- I am always good with a morally relaxed, fun attitude. For any woman who wishes to ride in the raft topless, the jump is free.

2- All pics of the boobies will not show up on the internet without her complete permission.

Too bad for people who didn't make the jump, they were stellar. An awesome raft jump, good friends, and a big smile on a beautiful woman. That is a good day.
B|B|

On this thread, there is a lot of information that is being re-hashed. My dirt dive for a raft jump takes 15 minutes. Launching is half. Safely doing it is the other half.

About 70% of it is covered in this other thread
Inflatable Raft Jumps

I recommend that people read the other thread first because it is a lot to retype.
It will answer a lot of questions.
It will provide information that is not intuitively obvious. Things that people may not think about. Knowledge that is learned the hard way.

Getting out of the raft safely?
Ropes? Grips?
Body position to expect on launch? Critical

Originally, an air mattress was mentioned.
Air mattresses, rafts, stuffed objects, and inflatable pool toys have distinctly different launches and flight characteristics.

There are details. Rafts can fly differently depending on simple things like the knee positions of the people inside.

Here is a good pic of a recent jump clicky
(Tony can make anyone look like a rock star :)
Jimmy T also has a good pic of an inflatable shark too.

An idea?
Something good, fun, and interesting for a 100th jump might be a hula hoop jump. That way, people of every experience level can participate and have a good time.
B| Easy to organize and unbelievably funny.

Can someone please tell me what a crappy aggresive, sarcastic attitude I have again?

I would say it comes from showing yourself to be very defensive and sensitive to the criticism leveled your way. Just the way I see it.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

ps. I never said I was going to rig an airmattress up with ropes & hand holds. hahahahhaa. this is unreal. sigh. such a shame.

Can someone please tell me what a crappy aggresive, sarcastic attitude I have again? I find it very helpful to my raft jump research. ;):ph34r:

Please show me where I used the words crappy,aggresive or sarcastic.

Well then, enlighten us as to how it is going to be held on to. I'm want to learn something today.

This thread started with the wrong question...

Could you enlighten the rest of us then as to what the right question should have been? I am also curious to know what about her attitude might kill her. The fact that she doesn't want to listen to people who think they know all say generalized statements such as "don't do it" or the fact that she has asked repeatedly for someone to provide appropriately detailed information?

Seems more like you just want to continue picking a fight. "Hey! Look at that fire, lets add some gasoline!"
:P

As for Hoola Hoop jumps...they are tons of fun! I have already done one and look forward to doing more. Although I am sure it is just a matter of time before someone posts about how that might kill us too.
Derec Davies
Big_Red

As for Hoola Hoop jumps...they are tons of fun! I have already done one and look forward to doing more.

I was suggesting that because...

you can do them easily from a side-door aircraft.
you only need a couple of experienced people to hold.
someone can hang onto the hoop and deploy.
people of most experience levels can participate.
the dirt dive is shorter.
it is kind of a no-pressure fun jump.
there is a higher success factor.

This thread started with the wrong question...

Could you enlighten the rest of us then as to what the right question should have been? I am also curious to know what about her attitude might kill her. The fact that she doesn't want to listen to people who think they know all say generalized statements such as "don't do it" or the fact that she has asked repeatedly for someone to provide appropriately detailed information?

Seems more like you just want to continue picking a fight. "Hey! Look at that fire, lets add some gasoline!"
:P

As for Hoola Hoop jumps...they are tons of fun! I have already done one and look forward to doing more. Although I am sure it is just a matter of time before someone posts about how that might kill us too.

The question to ask would be "How can I do a safe raft/air mattress jump.

The fact that she has focused on what she didn't want to hear and her comment about her death not effecting anyone else tells me what "I" need to know.

Please show me what I posted that is picking a fight.I had an opinion about somethingshe posted. If you don't want to know what others think don't come to an online forum and ask a question.

Oh I agree full heartedly happythoughts! Hoola Hoop jumps are alot of fun and very easy to pull off.

CSpenceFLY
1. Personally, I see nothing wrong with the question she asked as she really only wanted to know what to do with the Raft come deployment. With that said...I do agree that your question would have been a good question to ask. However, I may not have been on here as long as you have, but I have already learned that asking such an open ended question here only gets the very responses we have been seeing. That, unfortunately, only results in us needing to weed through a ton of shit, from people who think they are more knowledgable then they really are, to find the answers that are actually helpful (from people like happythoughts).

2. It is very easy to say, "If you don't want to know what others think don't come to an online forum and ask a question" however the only people who respond back with comments like, "...and you seem to have an attitude that just may kill you..." are really only looking for a reaction and to keep picking a fight. But since you appear to think otherwise why don't you share with me what you thought saying that was going to accomplish. I would like to think you are a bright guy so I can only imagine that, after reading this thread, you were fully capable of understanding what such a comment would cause.
Derec Davies
Big_Red

Ok folks. There's a lot of usedfull information here & thank you so much to the people who were kind and wise enough to empart it. Happy thoughts - I like your banana ;):ph34r: lol. I think I've gathered all of the useful information I can from this thread & thanks for pointing me to others. This coversation is quickly spiralling downward and you're right I do feel very defensive about people making judgements about my character who I've never even met, much less jumped with. I know I can be a bit of a pit bull but the people I'm turning on usually deserve it. I mean if you're gonna poke a peaceful pitbull with a stick can you really blame them if they rip your face off? Probably not. Me thinks I'm not the only pitbull out here and this is turning into a dog fight. I just resent the direction the thread took right from the beginning. It's such a shame this happens too often to people with low jump numbers. Why my experience level has anything to do with the question I asked is beyond me. So anyways thanks to the folks who were helpful, shame on those who are so judgemental (even me) and in the immortal words of Mr. Dave Chapelle "aaannnnddd I'm out!"

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body"

I guess that depends on your definition of argue.
*shrug*

I would certainly want to know why they felt that way and I would want to try and dispel their fears and tell them why I think it is worthwhile for them to at least experience it, even if only once.
Derec Davies
Big_Red

last raft dive I did, it flipped on exit and I ended up hanging upside down from my ankle, because the raft rope was wrapped around it.

several very frenzied seconds followed while me and another jumper got the rope off my foot, but it also took my shoe with it. I haven't done one since then.

raft dives ARE more dangerous than the standard skydive.

doesn't mean they can't go well and be fun though.

MB 3528, RB 1182

hmmm. I'm not sure if that last message was you thinking I didnt get what you were saying in your first message. I definitely do and was just re-itterating what others had said in posts like yours about the actual do's and dont's.

No, that wasn't my intention at all. my intention was to make sure you had some sort of idea on the mechanics of the whole thing. Please believe me, although i don't know you, and may never meet you, although i hope i do, i care about your safety and well being. I know that may be hard to understand, but that's my motivation.

Landing with the raft

If you want your raft back, calculate your winds aloft as opposed to what the winds are on the ground, you'll find your raft. If you do this, your pilot can find your raft for you and give you the cooridanates. And please, don't buy a raft with the rope arounf the perimeter of it. Buy one with the molded handles with a bright color so your pilot can get a visual for you.

Please Be Careful, And Stay Safe. Blue Skies, Hot Days!
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

don't buy a raft with the rope arounf the perimeter of it. Buy one with the molded handles with a bright color

When talking about hand-holds, the most important thing is that the raft may flip forward immediately out the door, if the rear passenger does not lean back on exit. The speed of that flip is very fast and it packs a lot of force.

I try to avoid the ones with the handles. I like a grip on the back-center. Also, even though they are soft rubber handles, they can hurt your hand or dislocate fingers pretty quickly during a flip.

With ropes, the danger is that the rope wraps around both your hands during the flip and binds them together. Then you are hanging under the raft and a Cypres merely dumps your reserve into a mass of trash.

This problem is easily avoided. I have two rope methods.
One is to cut the rope. Knot it next to a grommet.
At the other end, tie a big knot to get an easy grip.

The other is to run the rope through the grommets, but tie a knot at each one so that the rope doesn't slide.
Very important, place a hand on each side of the grommet for the grip. On a flip, it takes the rope out of your hands.

Do not put both hands on a rope between two grommets or you risk hand entanglement during a flip.

Sevylor makes a sturdy 2-man raft that is bright yellow with plenty of grip alternatives.

Since the rafts exit last, a yellow raft is easy to find.

One very simple thing that needs to be answered is what type of A/C will you be using. Some work better than others and some would probably not work at all. A C-182 carrying 4 jumpers and an air mattress would be one I would like to watch from a chase plane.:P

Sparky

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals