airronchi

need real advice

hi, i'm a 34 year old chef. i intend on following my dream of becoming a skydiver and making a living in the field. i did some static line jumps in the military (ions ago). is it too late to venture off into this path? what's the best way to go about this? and no less important...has anyone heard of the skydiving school in new zealand? is it worth it?
thanks for your opinions
airronchi:)

I guess you are talking about the Diploma in Commercial Skydiving in Christchurch? It gets a lot of stick from people, especially on here, but from what i have seen personally it is worth it, particularly if you are a new zealand/australia resident.

sell everything..buy a trailer and move to Davis Cali and pay for AFF... Do what ever you can and live at the DZ.. Screw the school.. you will learn the same thing at the DZ..

but to be honest with you.. the best skydivers in the world have real jobs, make good money to travel and jump/tunnel because that is where the cool shit happens...... just work out work schedules to allow for jumping... if you work at the DZ you will never get to jump and it will take you forever to learn the skills that you will really want to learn...

I could get a lot of shit for this post....

There is very little money in skydiving, unless you are savvy enough to open one of the best drop zones in your country, or you feel like $20K (US) a year (at best) is real money. If skydiving is your passion, do it on the weekends. If you wish to be an instructor, great, it might subsidize your passion, or provide extra income for doing what you love. Don't give up your day job.

Don't take my word for it. Start asking around to get perspectives from people that actually make money skydiving. I think that you will find they do it because they enjoy it, not because they can make a living off of it.

I have tremendous respect for the instructors that have taught me and others to become skydivers. Most of them have day jobs.
Richard Rothery

the best skydivers in the world have real jobs

Where does Airspeed work when not on the DZ?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

the best skydivers in the world have real jobs

Where does Airspeed work when not on the DZ?

Most of the Airspeed members do coaching after they are done training. Considering that there are only 8 of them and over 35,000 members of the USPA, chances are slim to none that a lot of people ever make it to the top of the skydive heap. Very few make a whole lot of money in this sport and those who do usually burn out after 4-5 years and venture off to other things. Stick with the day job and try it on weekends.

the main reasons i am considering the nzsds is the following..

it is a program where the instructors spend a lot of time with students, it is an organized school, i feel at a dropzone here, you pay for your "coach" jump and they spend 10 minutes with you and you jump and they move onto the next person..

the other reason im considering it is, i dont look at the negatives, i think the positives for me will over run the negatives..

for me, im lost on what to be/do, so i see this school as an oppurtunity to take a really awesome break/trip/adventure and i can do some real soul searching.

then maybe if i come back to the states, i can atleast have some respect for the things i know, it might be easier to get a job in the industry.

and for me that would be awesome.. i could work in the industry while finishing up college..

see im kind of a loner so i think it would be a great experience for someone like me...

im not sure what to expect but im young and my priorities are different then the people i grew up with.. im not the societal norm...

i think the one on one instruction and the school environment will produce a good result.. hope some agree with everything i just said