tkhayes

I'm as dumb as fuck....

AFF Level 7, got my student all briefed, nice cool exit - I dive out after him and go - 'shit forgot to put my goggles on'.... no big deal, I'll take my glasses off and hold onto them, I reach for them and they instantly flip off and gone......

I just got them on Monday, cost me $400.

Sometimes I'm such an asshole.....

I'm really bad about that. I have very sweaty eyeballs, so on jump run I always leave my goggles up. Can't count the number of times I've exited without putting them down. I don't wear glasses, but me fumbling around with my goggles on the hill never makes my teammates happy :$:D

We are all engines of karma

Ouch....
Had my Dad out to the DZ for a tandem a couple years back... his goggles started to pop off. Right before he would have lost his glasses his TM reached around and held em on his face (Thanks, Rich!) for the remainder of the dive, Dad came down with his goggles in his teeth. Now THATS style! Thought it was so awesome he went right back up for another one.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

AFF Level 7, got my student all briefed, nice cool exit - I dive out after him and go - 'shit forgot to put my goggles on'.... no big deal, I'll take my glasses off and hold onto them, I reach for them and they instantly flip off and gone......

Which is why i walk around indoors at the DZ all day with silly looking clear lenses in my sunglasses.B|B|
They are photchromatic, and go dark in the sunlight, but clear indoor or at night.
I put them on when i get to the dz, and take them off when i leave. Oh they have a cat strap on them too;)
They also cost upwARDS OF $400B|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I feel your pain. B|

Not wanting to one-up you but I can identify with losing something 'ocular' in freefall about 10 years back. At that time its replacement cost was $1,000. Today it would cost me $3,000. :|

Also an 'oops' from forgetting to put the goggles down...

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I feel your pain. B|

Not wanting to one-up you but I can identify with losing something 'ocular' in freefall about 10 years back. At that time its replacement cost was $1,000. Today it would cost me $3,000. :|

ltdiver

Dunno what ya lost, but I'll keep an eye out for it! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I feel your pain. B|

ltdiver

i wasnt aware you could wear thousands of dollars of pot on your eyes :/
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

I feel your pain. B|

ltdiver

I keep wondering if anyone ever found it out there in the plowed up fields of Perris. :D Imagine someone seeing it staring up at them from the ground. Think they'd freak out? :ph34r:

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I feel your pain TK. A few years ago, I did a hop and pop where I was wearing a brand new pair of Oakleys that were fairly wrap around and on under my frap hat thinking they were secure; they weren't. As I exited, I looked down and the slipsteam got behind them, pushed them down my nose and off my face. I grasped for them as my canopy deployed but missed. Guess that will teach me for being dumb rather than cool in the sunglasses!

A few weeks ago I did a tandem and as I exited I felt the ears of my frap hat flap up; I'd forgotten to clip it up under my chin. Luckily it's a fairly well fitting hat plus the goggles around the outside but I could definitely feel it lifting up and it wouldn't have survived terminal. Left hand went to the top of the head as the right hand deployed the drogue. Once it was out and set I was able to clip it back up again before tapping the student on the shoulder and continuing the skydive. It wasn't on video (un?)fortunately! Would have been expensive loosing a nice frap hat and Neptune!
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I did a sign jump for a Mother's Day present. I forgot to tighten the strap on my goggles, so they flipped up on my helmet about half-way through the dive. It turned out to work with the theme of the sign by making me look silly, but it sucks not being able to read your Viso.

Hey check out CSPENSEFLY's sig line....you may NOT be an asshole...

I am glad to hear some of you skygods still have your goggles up on exit-I thought I was the only damn fool that pulls this stunt!

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

I forgot to put my visor down on my Oxygn on my second coach eval dive. It was a Cat H so I climb on the step (182) thinking that I would have time to put it down on the step while the "student" was getting set in the door. The "student" didn't act very student like and got set immediately. So I gave the count and went.

I'm really glad that I learned a little bit of mantis. It comes in handy when on the hill trying to watch the student's exit and trying to put down your face shield.

Luckily I saw enough to pass and the shield didn't rip off. It was February in Wisconsin after all. It would have been cold on the face.

Man up, TK. :oMike Metcalf out in Peris doesn't wear goggles or glasses. Now that is a skygod:P

You know I'm picking on you, but it does make me feel good to know even you amazing guys have your moments.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Hell, one weekend I was doing CRW and forgot to swap my regular glasses out for my croakie-secured older pair. I have sportrx goggles but because they restrict my peripheral vision, I don't use them for CRW. Well, I'm about ready to exit and stick my head out the door for a moment before exiting after my CRW-mate, and my glasses promptly flew off. For a sec I thought about what just happened followed by a "FUCK!" and then I jumped! Good thing my eyes aren't bad enough to keep me from getting in the stack and finding the DZ and timing my flare. Yeah, $200 out the door. [:/]

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hell, one weekend I was doing CRW and forgot to swap my regular glasses out for my croakie-secured older pair. I have sportrx goggles but because they restrict my peripheral vision, I don't use them for CRW. Well, I'm about ready to exit and stick my head out the door for a moment before exiting after my CRW-mate, and my glasses promptly flew off. For a sec I thought about what just happened followed by a "FUCK!" and then I jumped! Good thing my eyes aren't bad enough to keep me from getting in the stack and finding the DZ and timing my flare. Yeah, $200 out the door. [:/]

One of my lenes popped out of the frame on Jumprun, I was supe float out of the Skyvan on a formation load.
The lens started rolling towards the tail, I dived on it and tried putting it back in the frame. I told the Load organiser if i cant get it back in I am not exiting the lane. He looked like he was going to die:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:.
The lens went back in I slipped the specs on and closed my Oxygn and all was good.
But i will not exit with out specs. I DONT have good enough vision to time me flare properly.B|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Jim Boor used to as well, no goggles or nothing, but that Neanderthal forehead helped.

I did lots of jumps with those 70's-80's racquetball goggles, and got very used to the wind in my eyes. Contacts for a few years, and if I forgot my goggles, no big deal, just squint a bit and keep my head high.

Now I have glasses only and they are a pain for skydiving, but OK for everything else.

On one of my early AFF jumps I wore large over-the-glasses goggles supplied by the school, and the damn things were no where near tight enough and started to flop around as soon as I got stable. One of the instructors noticed and had the same concern as me...the goggles might come off, followed by my glasses. She held my goggles in place right up until I pulled. The moment she got on the ground she gave me the standard "if you can hear me turn right" radio call, and as soon as I turned right her next call way "if you still have your glasses turn left". :D

Luckily my goggles and glasses stayed in place on deployment. I would have found the ground without my glasses but only because of gravity and it would have been an ugly landing.

Let's see 2 RGP torsion contact lens @ $350 each
1 pair Linberghs @ $750
1 pair Walmart Cheapies @$150
1 prescription Transistions lens from a pair of Wiley-X SG-1's.

The cheapos were actually the biggest pain to lose. Back near the start of my jumping career, I'd had a cornea transplant and was suppposed to lay off for 6 months to a year, but went and jumped at eight weeks. I borrowed some over-the-glasses googles but didn't inspect them. They had a corner that was spider webbed and it blewout almost as soon as I got terminal. Ironically my helmet saved the googles but my glasses flew right off exposing my eyes to the wind. I'd also had a cornea transplant in the other eye less than a year before, so I kept my eyes open just long enough to turn from the formation then tracked like a motherfucker for what I hoped was about ten seconds before dumping. One of the scariest things I ever did in the sky since I didn't have an audible and had performed a 360 track a time or two.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."