a63jmt300

AFF $ questions

Maybe i'm crazy, but Raeford skycenter charges about $2400.00 for the entire AFF course. down the road in little 'o Parkton, NC.. a place called southern comfort skydiving only charge $1200.00. that's exactly half the cost.. i'm confused as to the giant price difference. if both programs are the same, then what's the deal with Raeford??? on the flipside, what's the deal with soco skydiving??

I think Raeford was including ALL 25 jumps in their cost, they specifically mentioned "most students get their A for around $2400"

soco is including only 9 jump in the costs. However, even if you include 16 additional jumps to finish off the AFF @ an astronomical lift price of $25.00 (not saying this is what they charge) plus equipment rental @ $50.00 a day x 4 days to get 16 jumps in....still that's a total of $1800. maybe raeford has a better program, everyone mentions raeford on base and i have never heard of this sourthern comfort place untill google. teh only difference i see is that raeford includes wind tunnel time.

I maybe wrong.. please help

thanks,

andy

www.jumpraeford.com
www.theskydivingplace.com

Tell us more, what does each program include?

Some DZ's will give you the price for the first 7 or 8 jumps or "levels", usually considered the "AFF levels", and other DZ's will quote the price to an "A" license (minimum 25 jumps).

Make sure your comparing apples to apples.

Edit: Looking at the Raeford website, $1657 is the total to get through the "AFF levels" and also includes some tunnel time. Now that's not a bad deal.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

You could always be really radical and ring them and ask "why the difference"? From the websites you quote, one is $1,200 for first 9 jumps, the other is around $1,600 for the first 9 jumps. I'm guessing that the $2,500 includes more than the first nine jumps.

Best wishes for AFF
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

However, even if you include 16 additional jumps to finish off the AFF @ an astronomical lift price of $25.00 (not saying this is what they charge) plus equipment rental @ $50.00 a day x 4 days to get 16 jumps in....still that's a total of $1800.

It's possible that Raeford is including some coaching, which is generally a better way to develop skills than hucking yourself out alone.
Owned by Remi #?

The dropzone in Parkton has been closed for two years.

If you want a cost breakdown to know what you will get for your money, you should contact Tony Thacker at (910) 904-0000 or [email protected] OR go out and pay him a visit. You will get a much more detailed and accurate answer than fishing here on dropzone.com.

Skydiving is an expensive sport. Based on your posts here in the forums thus far I think you need to take a hard look at your own family financial situation and ask yourself honestly if you are ready to commit to this expensive hobby. Nobody is going to just give it to you.
Arrive Safely

John

soco is including only 9 jump in the costs. However, even if you include 16 additional jumps to finish off the AFF @ an astronomical lift price of $25.00 (not saying this is what they charge) plus equipment rental @ $50.00 a day x 4 days to get 16 jumps in....still that's a total of $1800. maybe raeford has a better program, everyone mentions raeford on base and i have never heard of this sourthern comfort place untill google. teh only difference i see is that raeford includes wind tunnel time.

tunnel time is expensive - more than $15/min in 10 minute blocks, typically.

You also left out coaching jumps - 4 or 5 are necessary as part of the 25, and this can be free to very expensive depending on the DZ. The 3500 HnP checkout also requires an instructor to observe, costs of this can be free to more than nothing.

Is $50/day rental a real rate, or just a guess? Much cheaper than typical, but some DZs are better about this. You may find it difficult to do 4 jumps a day anyway, between personal limits and wind holds. I don't thinkj I ever did more than 3.

There's other things to think about... watch out for hidden extras like coach jumps and paying someone for packing the rented gear.

Do both dz's go to the same altitude? Are both busy enough during the week so allow you to make multiple jumps a day? How busy are they on weekends? Will you have to wait hours to get a jump in??

It might be worth visiting them both before you make a choice! Nothing wrong with smaller DZs but you can find that progression is slower if they don't have the staff / business / lift capacity to get you 4 jumps a day!

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

There's only one DZ in the area. The one in Parkton closed two years ago: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2346059;search_string=parkton%20closed;#2346059

All AFF jumps include the packsjob and gear rental in the price. Post-AFF jump gear rental does not include the packjob - going rate is $6 but we encourage students to learn how to pack and pack for themselves (builds that skillset early).

Altitude is 13,000 FT in both aircraft weather permitting.

DZ is open Wed - Sun, busiest on the weekends (which includes Friday afternoons in warmer months).
Arrive Safely

John

I don't know what the difference is but how can you not go for the cheaper price?

!?!?!?

[:/]

Skydiving is not a sport where "going cheap" is recommended.

I don't know the difference either, but you should bet your ass that there is one.
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Dont forget the costs for getting your jumps video'd. Its a great tool to show you both problems and successes in each level and coach jump.

And don't forget beer, and tshirts, and bumper stickers and sunscreen and a new tatoo and new Vans shoes and.....oh yeah.....DON'T FORGET TO TIP YOUR PACKERS!

this is NOT a low priced sport! you're gonna want gear and a cool jumpsuit and alti and it goes on and on.....many people managed to get to their A license then stop cause the cash is gone or when they realize what they will now spend on gear.....even if still interested in the sport.

good luck!
marc

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton