peanutgallery

How do you feel about people bring their dogs to the dz?

The kids at our dz are great, but the dogs is out of control. Most of the owners are working jumpers and they poop right in the landing area making an annoying mess. I wouldn't hurt anyones dog, but I might wipe the dogshit off my shoes in your camper. J

Some of us HAVE to bring our dogs or we don't jump!! I can do one of two things when I go jump

1. Take the dogs with me
2. board them @ $44 a night

I have to drive 4-5 hours, depending on if I go to The Farm or Deland. I am NOT going to stop jumping because of my dogs. They are a part of my family.

I'm not saying don't bring them. The dogs at our DZ are great, but do you all not have neighbors or friends who live nearby that could swing over to let them in and out if that's your concern? I guess I grew up in a pretty friendly area where we could ask someone or pay them 5 bucks at the most...

I agree that animals are a part of the family, so bringing them is important to a lot of people.
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

We keep our babies on a leash and in the trailer. we go out and walk them and play with them frequently. we do not let them anywhere near the hanger or near the landing area. I love having the dogs out there - and try to be respectful to other jumpers by keeping them out of certain areas.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

But you need to learn to keep your dogs out of the hangar. I hate to call you out, but your dog is always being shooed out by others.
Your dogs might be part of your family, but not everyone else's.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

To be fair, almost all the dogs have to be shoed out at some point. There was supposed to be a gate to prevent them from coming in.

As a community, at Skydive The Farm at least, we can all do our part. It really requires little effort to tell a dog to get out (or their owner to take care of it) - no more than if someone's kid was misbehaving.

Dogs are a lot like kids, and they are absolutely family - I expect people to treat mine as such.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Some of us HAVE to bring our dogs or we don't jump!! I can do one of two things when I go jump

1. Take the dogs with me

I have to drive 4-5 hours, depending on if I go to The Farm or Deland. I am NOT going to stop jumping because of my dogs. They are a part of my family.

That's just a bullshit excuse. I drive 2 hours each way, and have a dog sitter that charges me $12/visit to my house to take care of my 3 large dogs. We have her make 2-3 visits during the weekend so we can stay and jump our asses off, and it costs me $36. Although our dogs are welcome at the DZ, realistically, we are instructors, so can't be spending all of our time ensuring our dogs are behaving well, so it's in everyone's best interests for them to be at home.

For our old DZ, we had a piece of crap trailer that the dogs would stay in all day. Cost us $300 for the trailer, but it was worth it so they were contained and not in anyone's hair.

There's always a way to responsibly handle pet care without getting on the nerves of people who just aren't dog people.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I have neither a dog or any children, but my dzs have a handful of both running around at all times.

I really enjoy getting a small dose of well behaved dogs and kids. I think they can add a nice vibe to a day of jumping. Every now and then it's fun to take a run with one of the dogs or help a kid open a juice box. No problemo.

The only real issue I've had was with a jumper's son, when I was deep in nylon during a heavy day of packing. This 7 year old (a repeat offender who's mother had been spoken to several times) was all over the packing mat, stepping on gear, tripping on lines, etc while his mother sat idly by doing NOTHING. That's what upset me. Please don't make me take time away from my work to get your kid under control and away from where he's not supposed to be.

That's all. Otherwise~bring 'em.

Ian~ Chaos is so pretty! What a sweetie pie.:)

"He who jumps into the void owes no explanation to those who stand and watch."~Jean Luc Godard

I'm against it. For sure there are some nice people with nice dogs, who are responsible, use leashes and so on. But there's always some a-hole who believes in his or her god given right to let their animal run loose.

If you make exceptions, you're playing favorites. "No dogs" means NO dogs, not anybody's.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I find it interesting that dog owners seem to be in denial! Including my sister. She and many dog owners will say to their dog, over and over, sit! stay! no! to no avail and continue and continue and continue. I personally love dogs, just not at the drop zone.

The problem there is not the dog. Get your sister a gift certificate for a training class, because she is obviously not the alpha in that relationship.

Our dropzone has five dogs that run loose in the packing hangar and out. Most of them walk across the lines while we are packing. One of them, the 135lb rotti likes to lie down on your lines.
We love them all. The only people who have problems with the dogs are one couple. They each have a dog and dislike each other's. :D When other dogs show up they tend to be kept in line by the old rotti. She doesn't take shit.
Wouldn't have it any other way.

1. Take the dogs with me

While I share your preference for The Farm or DeLand (or Z-Hills) in your area, those aren't your only options. Here are some that are closer:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/dropzone/finder.cgi?search=addr&lat=32.08257455954592&lng=-81.0791015625&rad=150

I'm a big fan of dogs. (Except for the small yappy bastards.) For the most part I don't mind if dogs are at the dz. I tend to just not pay much attention to them. Most people at the dz are good about keeping theirs and other dogs out of the hanger and off the packing carpet. However it's usually the few bad dogs/owners who ruin things for everyone. My general feeling is if you're a responsible owner who is willing to keep an eye on them AND your dog is well behaved and listens to you and others, then I'm cool with you both. Otherwise, you can either keep the dog in a pen/trailer/tied up or leave it at home.

People's kids on the other hand are more bothersome to me. Again many of you have good kids who are well behaved. Congrats and keep up the good work. Some people's kids though need to be talked to. Running over lines, hanging from gear racks right next to people's rigs and running around and knocking into me is not ok in my book. I'm glad when I see a family able to come out on the weekend and be together, but everyone needs to behave appropriately based upon where they are at the dz. Let your kids know that they need to behave themselves when around people's gear and pay attention to where they're playing. If they can't handle that, please leave them at home too. (With a sitter or parent of course.)

If the dz allows dogs and kids, then it's not my place to make a scene and complain. I'm a pretty tolerant person and will put up with a lot, but others aren't as forgiving as me. Everyone with dogs and kids should be mindful of that.
Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793

There have been some good and valid points made by both sides in this thread but the one thing no one has mentioned and probably should think about is the liability.

Some DZ's have a large transient, ie: non skydivers/tandem traffic and even spectators who come simply to watch. DZs like that need to think about their liability(some do) when fido bites another person be it skydiver or not. The same can be applied to unattended children be it skydiver or spectators. Everyone thinks their dog is perfect just like parents think their kids are. The fact of the matter is no one can predict what an animal or a crumb snatcher running around unsupervised will do. It is also difficult to regulate who can and who cannot bring their dog/crumb snatchers to the DZ without generating ill feelings on one parties part.

Individuals who take their dogs/circus midgets to the DZ should also consider their individual liability in the event that they cause damage and or injury. We have seen skydivers sue other skydivers in the past, so don't shrug it off as a non factor. Like wise, it could be a non skydiver who gets bitten or your child who damages a non skydivers property that end ups suing you.

Unless you plan on skydiving with your dog/circus midget attached to your harness, it's probably in your best interest to leave them at home. For the record, I own 2 dogs.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

>DZs like that need to think about their liability(some do) when fido
>bites another person be it skydiver or not. The same can be applied to
>unattended children be it skydiver or spectators. Everyone thinks their dog
>is perfect just like parents think their kids are.

Agreed, although I think the kid scenario is much more of a risk. We've almost had the nightmare scenario a few times of the 5 year old running in front of the tandem to "see Mommy land." A dead dog in that scenario is a lot worse than an injured kid, no matter what happens to the tandem passenger/pilot.

Unless your dog is a service dog..please leave it at home.
I AM a dog lover, but I also have had the misfortune of having to deal with three dog bites at the DZ in an 18 month period. (Dogs were not allowed then either)
Yes, the owners claimed they are nice dogs, yes they were either tied up or on leash and according to the owners none had ever bitten before.
There is a reason that there are signs posted "no dogs allowed"
As for children...I enjoy them too!
But...not running around in the hangar,playing on creepers or swinging from the mock-ups. The child gets hurt and whose fault is it?
"Well those creepers and the mock ups are attractive nuisances!"
I enjoy having kids at the DZ but please supervise your children or hire someone to do so. Your skydiving friends will appreciate it:)

There are no laws that govern dogs, and dogs cannot be ticketed and arrested for violating any law. There are laws that apply to dog _owners_ though.

Really? Guess again. There are plenty of laws that directly govern a dog and its actions. Laws allow the taking, detaining and caging of dogs in all states. Also, when was the last time you saw a person legally euthanized for their dog biting someone else? Or are you saying that when dogs are legally euthanized for biting someone that the law did not directly govern or effect the dog? I think the dog would have a different answer.:S
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

A dead dog in that scenario is a lot worse than an injured kid, no matter what happens to the tandem passenger/pilot.

I don't care who you are, that's funny.

I bring a dog to the dz. At my home dz she stays in the camper but at the farm she was tied between my car and my tent. I walk her strictly on a leash and have a poop bag dispenser on that leash. No one should have to step in my dog's crap or chase it out of the hanger. I agree that dogs are usually worse than owners will admit to. There are exceptions but it is still mostly true.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

>huh?

Got that exactly backwards, sorry. An injured kid is a lot worse than a dead dog. If a 5 year old runs in front of me on landing, I'll do what it takes to avoid them, even if it means me potentially injuring/killing myself. If a dog runs in front of me, I'm going to make sure I land safely whatever the consequence to the dog.