sky1flygirl

1800skyride scam

Copyright is implicit upon creating the work.
Litigating for copyright infringement is made easier by having REGISTERED your copyright soon after publishing the work (when it hits the web). It make a difference between suing for lost revenue (license fees you would have charged) or being able to go straight to Statutory damages (up to 150,000 dollars) if the judge feels the infringement was purposeful.

Skyride has recently told me that they bought the images on a Royalty Free CD from "harvester Graphics" that is now defunct.

They also told me that they will NOT take the images down because it will cost them money to rework their web pages. AND they said they would not compensate me for the images either.

Nice guys.

Brent, did you sell your pictures to that company? If not, then Skyride purchased stolen goods and would need to generate proof of the purchase. Even if they did, they still need to remove the pictures. If you purchased a stolen car you have to give it back once the rightful owner comes back to claim it.

It's not really a case of stolen goods as much as it is a case of copyright violation.

There's a bunch of reasons why in many cases it's perfectly legal to copy 'stuff'. Often these reasons are characterized as "fair use", but there's other reasons, too. Libraries have photo copiers because it's almost always perfectly legal to actually make the copy.

The problem comes up when you try to USE that copy. Use it by either selling it, or putting it up on your webpage, claiming its your own, or distributing it to the public - All these actions will put you in violation of the copyright.

SkyRide isn't protected by having bought the images from a third party. If Brent didn't license those images, then SkyRide bought a CD full of unlicensed images, which is essentially worthless.

For example, I can quite easily point my web browser to the website of the Library of Congress and legally download and save thousands of images. I can even burn those images onto a CD for my own private purposes without violating copyright. The CD I just created has little value because I don't have any rights to do anything with the contents. Even if I sell the CD, I've just sold a worthless CD. The buying has no rights to use the contents.

It's not legally about "theft". It is about "copyright infringement", which is a whole different ballgame - but the rules are quite straightforward. Absolutely Brent has the rights to his images, and SkyRide doesn't.

It's obvious Brent has been in contact with an attorney. Brent, I hope that attorney didn't scare you off. You'd be smart to protect yourself by following through on this, even if it does mean paying out a large bit of change in attorney fees...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I am pretty new to the skydiving scene. My sister and friend were going to up for the first time. I searched on the internet for DZs in the Albuquerque, NM area. Of all the places on the list that I tried to contact the only one that returned my calls was 1800skyride. We were wanting to skydive during spring break, so I new I needed to plan it in advance. I searched the web and called around. I didn't mind paying more so I went with 1800skyride. The only problem is that there is no DZ in New Mexico that honors 1800skyride certificates. They list Albuquerque, Las Cruces, and about 5 other cities that use their services. Of course, I didn't know this at the time. In fact I didn't know this until the day after we were supposed to jump. The only way I found out was by finally getting a hold of the DZ in Belen and talking to the owner. I admit that a lot of this is just naivete, but my $280 is still in limbo, because they say that they will reschedule me. However, the closest place that they could reschedule me is at least an 8 hour drive. My stupidity is only matched by the greed and dishonety of 1800skyride

I would agree with you except for the total line of bullshit that they tell their customers. They charge them a "Port Fee", and "Pilot Chute Fee", no tandem weight limits, seeing the shuttle launch from altitude at Spaceland (we're in Texas and I think the shuttle launches if Florida) and on and on and fee the customer the biggest line of bullshit I have ever heard.

If they would just clean up their act they would have a great service that would benefit them and skydiving all across the country similar to 1-800-skydive.

I didn't believe how bad the BS was until I called them and acted like a whuffo. Try it yourself.

If everyone stopped using them, they would change or be limited in their business.

Greed Buzz, that's all it is.

Blue skies,

Jim

In our case, the dropzone gets paid less and the customer gets charged more. That's a hell'va deal!

Look at the bright side:)
To bad so sad you paid your money you want to jump get in you car and drive your ass off to get your tandem. >:(

What??? Your not happy:o. Sorry got another customer waiting:):D:D

R.I.P.

The only way I found out was by finally getting a hold of the DZ in Belen and talking to the owner.

Note: Skydive New Mexico is a club last I checked and is not a full time DZ so the delay in getting in touch with anyone would make sense.

Contact your states attorney generals office.They are selling something in your state that is no good.

I agree completely:o After the AG gets enough correspondence from a bunch of pissed off customers from their state maybe they will do something.

Maybe after one AG takes skyride to court the rest of the states will follow suit.:)
Don't waste your time with the BBB[:/] Unless you think you will get a meaningful response from a rotten head of lettuce.

R.I.P.

Contact your states attorney generals office.They are selling something in your state that is no good.

hi guys,
this thread is huge with complaints that just arnt getting through to right people here is a link to a form that you fill in, https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01
ftc gets enough complaints they will have to get involved so email the link to your friends mumy daddy brother sister and parol officer, lets use the net to our advantage, the voice of many will be heard.
life is a journey not to arrive at the grave in a pristine condition but to skid in sideways kicking and screaming, shouting "fuck me what a ride!.

hello i have been screwed also by 1800skyride they sold my wife a gift certificate with noplace in my area to use the gift certificate at the time they told her CT and MA i was hoing someone could shed some light on this i am out 220 dollars from this company

They have had a lot of bad press lately and alot of people are on their ass. If you raise enough hell you can probably get your money back.

There was some guy posting here that worked for them and claimed they were cleaning their act up. I can't remember what his user name was. I guess that was obviously the bull shit that we all knew it was.

They have had a lot of bad press lately and alot of people are on their ass. If you raise enough hell you can probably get your money back.

There was some guy posting here that worked for them and claimed they were cleaning their act up. I can't remember what his user name was. I guess that was obviously the bull shit that we all knew it was.

That was Rberger... I think.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Im really disappointed that the USPA still isnt doing anything about this.

Is that a joke? You realize that the USPA had to settle a huge lawsuit with skyride for getting involved. Part of the settlement, apparently, was to remove their involvement from the issue.

The owners of skyride belong in prison. The proper authorities should be getting involved, not USPA.

Dave

Im really disappointed that the USPA still isnt doing anything about this.

Is that a joke? You realize that the USPA had did not have to settle a huge lawsuit with skyride for getting involved. Part of the settlement, apparently, was to remove their involvement from the issue.

The owners of skyride belong in prison. The proper authorities should be getting involved, not USPA.

Dave

Forgive them Father for they do not know what they are talking about.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

According to the Georgia Office of Consumer affairs, Legal Action is still being pursued http://consumer.georgia.gov/00/press/detail/0,2668,5426814_94800056_94854057,00.html :

This is a direct quote from the head of the Dept of Consumer Affairs:

The case you referred to was sent to the Attorney General’s office by our office in May of 2007 for prosecution. We obviously believe that a significant amount of wrongdoing has been perpetrated by 1-800 Skyride. The lawyer in charge of the case in the Attorney General’s office is Sid Barrett.

I have not yet received a response from Mr. Barrett on the current status of this case.

Now now... you don't want another slap on the wrist, do you? :)
So what are the terms of the settlement, anonymous internet forum poster?

Dave

You're kidding, right? :D

I'm not sure that even the BOD knows. Only the executive committee knows, and they won't spill the beans. I may be wrong.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

How about looking at who resurrected this thread. It wasn’t one of "US". It was yet another person that claimed they were ripped off by Skyride.

Put your head back in the sand and it will all just go away.

For some people, Things like Honesty and integrity mean something... For others, obviously not so much.