sky1flygirl

1800skyride scam

And there's no gain to converting me "against" skyride. I consider the company useless to me personally so I wouldn't lift a finger to help it and whenever I find anyone who wants a tandem I tell them what a great place with great TMs my home DZ is and give them the number

SO... How many DZ's do accept thier certificates????

I know one for sure locally that does.

Sure, but DZs are businesses. If there are 8 DZs in a 300 mile radius, 7 of them stop using Skyride, guess who gets ALL of the skyride business, aka more money?

Teason said there were just two DZs, not eight. At two, it's quite possible to cooperate to shut it down. If you can agree that this service is costing you money, not to mention mispresenting themselves as you, why wouldn't you take that action?

At the very least you want to tell every one of these customers that they paid more than they had to, and their friends should just go direct.

Take a look at thiswww.tnskydiving.comthem
www.339jump.comus
We've changed it a little since they copied (we enlarged itto fit more displays) it but you get the idea!

Sheesh - not even the same country! I like the way they adapt the IAD descriptions to AFF with the least words possible.

So I think I found the main tipoff. Their websites will never actually have directions to the DZ.

I am still a little confused why you people are upset about this operation? I can kinda understand the people that have had their photos used w/o permission being bothered a little bit. But even in those cases is it really such a big deal? Not trying to be an ass or anything but it seems a little petty to me.

Is it because they charge more for providing a service? Not sure i understand the issue there either. They are a middleman, there are all kinds of businesses that have layers of people involved, everyone needs to make money at some point.

If they are in fact advertising dz's that have specifically said they do not want to participate then that is wrong. That is something the DZO should address.

If they are doing anything "illegal" then let the lawyers sort it out. I find it amazing how many people let stuff like this bother them.

Life is to short to get worked up over stupid shit like this. If they are not legitimate then eventually they will have whats coming to them. Until then why be concerned unless it effects your ability to jump out of an airplane every weekend.

used w/o permission being bothered a little bit. But even in those cases is it really such a big deal? Not trying to be an ass or anything but it seems a little petty to me.

Yeah. Thats petty. So is coming into you house and stealing your jewlery. I mean, its only jewlery, right?
Remster

used w/o permission being bothered a little bit. But even in those cases is it really such a big deal? Not trying to be an ass or anything but it seems a little petty to me.

Yeah. Thats petty. So is coming into you house and stealing your jewlery. I mean, its only jewlery, right?

I think this is being a little dramatic. You are talking about breaking into my house and stealing something that may not be easily replaced. Do you still have your photo in your possession? I bet you do. These people are simply copying a photo file and putting it on a web page. The shit goes on every day, why do you think services like Googles image search exist?

What bothers me is that one person comes to the DZ and gets turned away since their certificate is not accepted at DZ X. They are now pissed that they drove a distance to a DZ only to get turned away. Do you think that person will recommend that DZ to their friends? Do you think they would be happy with skydiving in general on that experience before they even got to jump? It does'nt help when someone shows up after paying $200 for their certificate only to see the DZ is selling the same jump for $175. That totally turns the person off from getting video or anything else.

I called up once to get details on them. They directed me to a DZ over 150 miles away when I have 3 DZ's with in 100 miles.

>That is something the DZO should address.

Often times they sell a certificate and reccommend a DZ but say that other DZ's in the area might also accept it. Its up to the consumer at that point to determine where they can go.

Their advertising states they are the only full time DZ in Alamaba, Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee, South Carolina and North Carolina area if I remember right. Basically they say they are the only DZ that you can jump at in a 500 mile radius.

Wait till you get a ratingand see all your students disappear because someone is out to make a quick buck off people and send them to distant DZ's even when there are closer DZ's to them.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Unless you can prove to me that this company is directly causing harm to you by using your photos or cheating you out of any compensation that is due by using your photos then i just dont understand the problem.

I bet if an editor at parachutist swiped one of your photos and put it in an upcoming issue without asking you probably wouldnt care.

If they came back and asked permission to use the photos would that make everything better?

I bet if an editor at parachutist swiped one of your photos and put it in an upcoming issue without asking you probably wouldnt care.

Parachutist pays the photographer for all pics published.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

What bothers me is that one person comes to the DZ and gets turned away since their certificate is not accepted at DZ X. They are now pissed that they drove a distance to a DZ only to get turned away. Do you think that person will recommend that DZ to their friends? Do you think they would be happy with skydiving in general on that experience before they even got to jump? It does'nt help when someone shows up after paying $200 for their certificate only to see the DZ is selling the same jump for $175. That totally turns the person off from getting video or anything else.

I called up once to get details on them. They directed me to a DZ over 150 miles away when I have 3 DZ's with in 100 miles.

>That is something the DZO should address.

Often times they sell a certificate and reccommend a DZ but say that other DZ's in the area might also accept it. Its up to the consumer at that point to determine where they can go.

Their advertising states they are the only full time DZ in Alamaba, Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee, South Carolina and North Carolina area if I remember right. Basically they say they are the only DZ that you can jump at in a 500 mile radius.

Wait till you get a ratingand see all your students disappear because someone is out to make a quick buck off people and send them to distant DZ's even when there are closer DZ's to them.

Once again, my opinion, and it is just my opinion is that alot of people here are getting caught up in the drama of this thread. I really dont think these guys have an impact on newbies being turned off by the world of skydiving, and if so, who cares, perhaps that person should have done a little more diligence.

I guess next time I use a travel agent i should get pissed off when standing in line at the airport because the guy next to me got his ticket 50 bucks cheaper going through some other channel? If that was the case I would be pissed off at the company i bought it from, not at the destination i was going to.

Like the old saying goes, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Parachutist requires you to give up your publishing rights to them in order to print. You have to submit to them, they don't go looking for photos.

Google also removes images from its search if someone asks them to. A vast majority of pictures are give away while the owner retains all rights with the photos. If someone takes a picture off a website and turns around and turns it into a poster and sells it at Walmart the original photographer is entiled to all profits off that picture even if he did no work to get it published.

Its not just pictures, they stole intelectual property. Namely the student manual from Zhills and the source code to Tim's website. Who ever writes a webpage owns its code, if someone uses any of that code with out permission then they are in violation of copyright laws.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Unless you can prove to me that this company is directly causing harm to you by using your photos or cheating you out of any compensation that is due by using your photos then i just dont understand the problem.

Photos taken by professional photographers. These photographers generally sell their work, they don't give it away. 1800Skyride stole the photos, the photographers were not compensated.

Is that simple enough for you to understand?

Parachutist either pays for photos or gets permission from the copyright owner. 1800Skyride, to my knowledge, has done neither.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

How about this. You show up at the airport and they say your ticket is not accepted there and you need to go to the next airport 100 miles away to fly to your city instead. Would you be mad at the airline for refusing to accept your ticket?
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

If they came back and asked permission to use the photos would that make everything better?

Right but parachutist wouldn't be so unethical about it, they would at least give credit where credit is due, AND it would still be wrong. They are cheating photographers out of compensation due because they are not paying for the pictures like everyone else who wants them is supposed to do.

It costs people money to take them pictures, buy cameras, travel to boogies, get on planes, etc. Its no different than stealing anything else.

I won't say people don't ever do it, but not only are they taking the pictures they are making a boatload of money off of it.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Causing harm here is taking away compensation from me that puts food on my table.

Not exactly - If I submit to parachutist, it's known as a 'freebie' going in so yes, not as big of a deal. Note that I know I'm not getting compensated for it later. (edit to add: wasn't sure Parachutist paid for pictures)

No...They should have asked in the beginning and they would have been given a $ amount to use the images on their site. Refer to top statement where I said they're stealing food off my table.

How about this. You show up at the airport and they say your ticket is not accepted there and you need to go to the next airport 100 miles away to fly to your city instead. Would you be mad at the airline for refusing to accept your ticket?

No, i would not be mad at the airport. I would be on my cell phone chewing the person who sold it to me a new asshole.

How did they get a hold of the source code for the website?

For the past several months, I've been quietly watching threads concerning Atlanta Skydiving Center and Skyride (the two are owned and operated by the same jackass, C.Q.). I made my complaints known publicly through rec.skydiving some 3 or 4 years ago when ASC started snapping up domain names for fictitious DZs and leeching off the student and tandem business from nearby DZs that way.

It does not surprise me at all, the things Cary has done since then. He has proven time and time again that he will do whatever he feels like for his own benefit, regardless of what others think, all the while thumbing his nose at the rest of us.

Well, I tried to warn the skydiving world to watch out for this crap, and now we have a mess to deal with.

Good luck to everyone affected to straighten their problems out with ASC/Skyride/C.Q. It is NOT going to be easy. It's a good bet that he'll stonewall any attempt by others to get their justice for as long as possible.

Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Causing harm here is taking away compensation from me that puts food on my table.

Not exactly - If I submit to parachutist, it's known as a 'freebie' going in so yes, not as big of a deal. Note that I know I'm not getting compensated for it later.

No...They should have asked in the beginning and they would have been given a $ amount to use the images on their site. Refer to top statement where I said they're stealing food off my table.

If they were making posters out of these pictures and selling them i would understand, but they are not. Besides a small fee paid to perhaps use them on the website how are they ripping you off any money? I cant imagine the fee to use them being any more than enough to buy a couple of happy meals. Correct me if i am wrong but unless you are norman kent or someone along those lines i cant imagine someone paying a large sum just to use the photos.

Stealing is stealing.

People pay quite a sum to get permision to use photos for websites. Its not often as little as you would think.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Funks....you really have no idea how much photo rights go for, do you? We're talking hundreds to a few thousand dollars per photo!

That's the average going rate out in the world. Quade can give better numbers but it's not cheap by any means.

It's not a small matter and what they are doing is completely illegal.>:(
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

funks, did you follow the links that teason had in his post? They ripped off his DZ's website wholesale, including the name of the business. They aren't "just" borrowing a few pictures here and there. It's unethical and it's illegal.

Average fee for a picture to be used on the quanity of sites Cary and crew have would be in the thousands of dollars. He owns over 100 domains and at even $10 per picture that adds up really fast.

Selling prints is where Photographers make money. Selling digital images is not a great idea since the buyer can now make as many copies as he/she wants at any scale. Selling a digital image is going to cost a LOT more then selling an 8*10 because the photographer will never see another dime off the photo at that point where they might see more money from selling additional prints. an 8*10 goes for usually $20, 11*13 goes for $30-40. Original digital images would have to go for a hundred or more with publishing restrictions usually.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Stealing is stealing.

People pay quite a sum to get permision to use photos for websites. Its not often as little as you would think.

Don't you also need to get model releases before you can publish an identifiable picture of someone.
If they are profiting from the images then the photogs and models are due compensation.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?