BrianSGermain

Skydiving Wisdom

Check out this funny video by Brian Germain about an old skydiver giving safety advice to his grandson who just graduated AFF.

You are going to love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQtn1dFhp0Y

Here is the "Making Of" video showing the indepth makeup process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvJfjOLBh20

Blue Skies!
Brian
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

"Back in my day we did 300-ways." :D

I actually laughed out loud sitting here at Panera Bread, sipping coffee (free WiFi). People looked up from their meal and wondered what the heck I was doing...:P

Nicely done. Also watched "The making of...". Wowwee. I wouldn't have been able to sit there, breathing slowly, and trusting like you did. I even cringed when he began shaping the nose. Yeah, trust....Something about loving the air we breathe!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

OK i need to bite, this has been bothering me a while now. How come you are allowed to advertise in your sig lines? I thought that was against DZ.com rules.

Mods?

The advertising policy covers all aspects of the forums including avatars and signatures. Use the Classifieds section for all advertising and see the Advertising pages for more information about how to advertise on Dropzone.com via banners, block ads or forum sponsorships.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Brian, Granpa should stop smoking so close to equipment. ;)

I think at his age, he should stop smoking altogether!

Why? What does he have to fear? Getting cancer? He has only a couple of years anyway ;):)
dudeist skydiver #42

OK i need to bite, this has been bothering me a while now. How come you are allowed to advertise in your sig lines? I thought that was against DZ.com rules.

Mods?

The advertising policy covers all aspects of the forums including avatars and signatures. Use the Classifieds section for all advertising and see the Advertising pages for more information about how to advertise on Dropzone.com via banners, block ads or forum sponsorships.

SEARCH is your friend.:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

LOL...Enough already, you sounded like a cross between an old Jewish grandpa and top cat!

You summed up about 1000 DZ.com threads in 10 minutes.

My thought was that an old skydiver can impart wisdom that a younger one cannot, regardless of the number of jumps they have under their belt. So glad you enjoyed it!

--Brian

My thought was that an old skydiver can impart wisdom that a younger one cannot

In this sport, getting old is something of which to be proud. I've got a group photo taken at Taft in 1980 -- the camera man as well as many of the subjects didn't get old.

What's so sad is that people are dying today because they're forgetting rules we learned 40 years ago:

"After opening and clearing from other canopies, your first task is to make sure you have a canopy you can land."

"Hook (or whatever you want to call them) turns can be dangerous." There was a hook turn fatality under a square in the 1971 fatality list.

"keep your head on a swivel, look out for other canopies"

"When in doubt, whip it out" If your main is doubtful, don't waste time; go for the reserve."

Can anyone come up with some others?

BSBD

Harry
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

My thought was that an old skydiver can impart wisdom that a younger one cannot

In this sport, getting old is something of which to be proud. I've got a group photo taken at Taft in 1980 -- the camera man as well as many of the subjects didn't get old.

What's so sad is that people are dying today because they're forgetting rules we learned 40 years ago:

"After opening and clearing from other canopies, your first task is to make sure you have a canopy you can land."

"Hook (or whatever you want to call them) turns can be dangerous." There was a hook turn fatality under a square in the 1971 fatality list.

"keep your head on a swivel, look out for other canopies"

"When in doubt, whip it out" If your main is doubtful, don't waste time; go for the reserve."

Can anyone come up with some others?

BSBD

Harry

How about:

"It's better to be on the ground, wishing you were in the air, than in the air, wishing you were on the ground."

How about:

"It's better to be on the ground, wishing you were in the air, than in the air, wishing you were on the ground."

How about: "It's better to be on the ground, wishing you were in the air, than in the back of an ambulance, wishing you'd stayed on the ground."
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

...am i the only one who finds the clip a bit lame? :|

Yes, you probably are.

But it is way easier to criticize the work of others than to produce any actual contribution of your own. So, let's see your contribution to skydiving safety so we can appreciate how much less lame it is. ;)

Got nothing?? What a surprise.:o

Kevin Keenan

IMHO this clip contains subtle sense of humor regarding people who think that skydiving was invented 15 minutes ago when they did their first sitfly and, on the other side, the old geezers.

If you are one of those, please i meant no offense.
dudeist skydiver #42

people who think that skydiving was invented 15 minutes ago when they did their first sitfly and

nope, i am not one of those

the old geezers

i am not sure what this means

as for contributing to safety: i've been working with students for the last five years :)
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666