morris

Why did the X games drop skysurfing?

Does anyone know?
The fact that the worldwide overall numbers of jumpers and jumps have been going down since about ~2001 - the year the X games dropped skysurfing - I´d like to know why that decision has been made?
Financial reasons?
TV-viewing figures?

1)The truth is one routine looks a lot like the next one in skysurfing.
2)Most people cannot see themselves doing that routine whereas most of the audience can see themselves doing the latest skateboard routine, or something close to it.
3) Artistically judged sports are lame.

Does anyone know?
The fact that the worldwide overall numbers of jumpers and jumps have been going down since about ~2001 - the year the X games dropped skysurfing - I´d like to know why that decision has been made?
Financial reasons?
TV-viewing figures?

What folks have said up thread... and when was the last time you saw someone at the DZ with a skyboard and their video guy getting on an airplane?

Because there was no industry to back it. No one to sell the thousands of skyboards to. Unlike skateboards and BMX bikes and such. The advertisers couldn't see a way to make money off of it.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

What folks have said up thread... and when was the last time you saw someone at the DZ with a skyboard and their video guy getting on an airplane?

Couple weekends ago at Kapowsin. But your point still stands. ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Because there was no industry to back it. No one to sell the thousands of skyboards to. Unlike skateboards and BMX bikes and such. The advertisers couldn't see a way to make money off of it.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. You win what the X-Games was getting from having Skyboarding ... nothing.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I met a bunch of the ESPN crew and talent in Montana when they filmed the "50 in 50" segment about BJ Worth. We were discussing the X Games and skydiving. The network was very afraid of a skysurfer going in during the competition and it was very difficult to schedule because of the weather. One year they had to move the venue, and a competitor got hit by his camera flyer on landing. And of course, why sponsor something you can't sell...

its just not spectator friendly. Take some big shots at espn to a swoop comp, impress the living hell out of them, and maybe they'd let that get in for a season, but like everyone said, theres no money in advertising bc theres no one to sell anything to. That and most of the people(teenage males) watching the x games are too young to jump anyway and you have an event destined to fail. Id REALLY like to see swooping at the x games though, maybe then Id actually give a crap about them.

The skydiving segments were always done offsite, away from crowds. The entire thing was put together in post production and in the last year they try to choose a more scenic landing area as well. Even the play by play was dubbed in after the fact.

Xgames wanted crowds. They could create a better brand that way, make more money, make new x-sport icons, and have it last longer.

It didn't make much sense to skydivers when it happened, but seeing what the Xgames have become, it makes more sense now.

Does anyone know?
Financial reasons?
TV-viewing figures? ***

I'd guess it's because the ultra-luscious Vivian Wegrath stopped competing. Beautiful in the air and on the ground, I've never seen someone make a smoother transition from door to relative wind, with or without a board on her feet. Without her, what's the point?

They should combine freeflying and freestyle swooping. Judge it in 2 parts. Have 2 camera fliers on every jump, a helicpoter camera, ground level water cam, and POV cameras.
Advertisers could make money, just like Moutain Dew makes money placing their ads in different events, no different. Actual product sales for skydiving, wouldn't really increase, but you could make money on it, if done right.
Also, most people have zero clue how difficult most maneuvers are they'd be seeing. And in part, even great freeflying can become like watching a ballet. Technically hard, not very exciting to watch. Personally, I'd rather watch BMX park than skydiving.

because all the really good skysurfers are dead.....

I said "ouch" when I read that, because I knew it was probably true. Didn't watch much X-games in my life but it's probably one of the reasons I had an interest in doing this.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

1)The truth is one routine looks a lot like the next one in skysurfing.
2)Most people cannot see themselves doing that routine whereas most of the audience can see themselves doing the latest skateboard routine, or something close to it.
3) Artistically judged sports are lame.

Everything you said could apply to figure skating, which always manages to sell out venues at Olympic and World Games on whatever continent they are held, as well as invite millions of TV viewers. Most of those people don't own skates, anymore than they own parachutes.

Artisitcally judged sports aren't lame - sometimes the judges are. And usually, the people calling them lame are the ones who didn't win.

Canuck