DougH

Occurance of unrestrained helmets (items) killing in a crash?

Have there been any confirmed instances where an unrestrained helmet has contributed to fatal or major injuries during a emergency landing?

Obviously not having a heavy camera setup strapped in is dangerous. It makes me every uncomfortable personally to be in an aircraft with people holding camerea helmets on take off. I don't need to send this to mythbusters to prove the danger.

I would like to know if there are any accounts of past incidents that I can point people to.

My opinion is that our safety is 100000x more important than some footage for the tandem dvd.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

It makes me every uncomfortable personally to be in an aircraft with people holding camerea helmets on take off.

Then do like I do. I ask them in a very nice matter to please put the helmet on or strap it in.

If they don't listen, I then have BIGUN "ask" them;)

Really, I haven't had a problem when I ask people to strap themselves or helmets in before take off.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I can't remember where I saw the test but it involved a simple 35mph car crash and a kleenex box in the back seat deck window ,among other loose items in the car causing injury or death when passengers were hit by them.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

If I wasn't met with resistance to my open comment that I found this to be a serious safety problem then I wouldn't have posted this thread. :S I haven't had a chance yet to bring it up to any one else other than the jumper I had words with.

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I just had the same discussion with some jumpers this weekend at the DZ.
If you have a helmet, wear it!
If someone asks nice to wear it, do it!
Ever see 23 jumpers scramble to get helmets on and seatbelts tightened when an engine goes kaput on take off?????????
"What"? The engine might stop running"?????

"What"? The engine might stop running"?????

yup, that about sums it up. We all know "complacency kills". Problem is, people tend to think of complacency only in the context of uncurrent jumpers being too confident in their atrophyd skills or current jumpers who haven't had anything go wrong in awhile getting sloppy. They don't think of the complacency we have about the maintenence of our aircraft or the ability of the pilot to deal with it.

People also are vastly overconfident in their ability to secure themselves and their gear in the event of a true emergency. Thinking this is possible is like thinking that you can do up your seatbelt in your car in the instant between realizing a crash is imminent and the impact. Just can't be done 99% of the time.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I fail to see how it's a bad example when it clearly illustrates the damage that can be done at a relatively low speed by objects flying around inside a closed space during a crash. Care to elaborate?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

The Kleenex box was the bad example.

Something solid - like a hammer, fire extinguisher (I've been told I remembered the episode incorrectly), or a helmet, camera or otherwise - is bad news in a crash. That would be a good example.

I was objecting to the exaggeration, not to the general concept.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ya Grimmie.... I seem to remember this vividly. Like it was just.... oh, say.... Saturday. ;)

Just last week, I was asked by a newbie why I always wear my helmet for take off. I said because I know better.

So on Sunday, I was quite amused to see that EVERY jumper on every load I was on was wearing their helmet and had seat belt tight across their waists.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!