nickranson

Minimum height for tandem jump?

Hi, I have a couple of friends at work who are keen to try out a tandem. Obviously, I'm keen to encourage them :) (I have tried to suggest AFF but they want to try out a tandem first!)

The only issue is that one is rather short. I don't know exactly how short since the question could cause embarrassment - but I'm guessing not much over 4'. I don't want to put this person off jumping with an unnecessary question.

I searched the forums and found a similar question that implied 4'9" is not a problem, but did not see any indication of an absolute minimum.

So, assuming there is a minimum height for a tandem passenger, does anyone know roughly what it is? I'm sure you could make a custom harness for most people, but obviously I'm interested in what would be available at the average drop zone.

I will of course ask when I call the drop zone, but figured this may be a useful question to ask given I couldn't find an answer elsewhere!

Thanks
Nick

It all depends on the Tandem harness being used as some will get smaller than others. I would suggest poising that question to the exact DZ, they would be going to. I have taken 4' 9" women using a Sigma system and she could have been a little smaller still as all stops were not at the minimum settings.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

I have had the same experience as TheCaptain:

I have had two female students that were 4 FT 8.5 IN and the harness was not at its minimum limit.

I would suggest finding out what type of tandem system the DZ they would jump at uses and calling the manufacturer of that system and discussing size issues with them. Then you have it from the horse's mouth.
Arrive Safely

John

A long time ago, I took a 13 year old girl for a tandem jump. She stood less than 5 feet tall and I doubt if she weighed 100 pounds. We had to pull her harness almost to the stops.
As we roared through 5,000 feet, she had a death grip on my left thumb.
Remember that this scary incident occurred back when Vectors only had one drogue release handle - on the left side - and long before cypres was invented.
That was the last time I jumped with an under-age student!