boyd38off

BASE rigs from a Plane... again...

Ah, the ignorance from those who don't know what is outside skydiving/Parachutist magazine.

I don't need a reserve, thanks anyways. I just don't need a main. Guess we should ask the highly-experienced FAA Inspectors with thousands of jumps about their lawyerese opinions or interpretations of existing laws from the 1940s. Haha, how long, and how much energy did it take to get the reserve date moved to 180 days, and they still didn't write it correctly...

BTW, I can't imagine skydiving is going to exist for the common man in 5 years... Think ahead...
Gravity Research Institute

14 CFR 91.307

No pilot of a civil aircraft may allow a parachute that is available for emergency use to be carried in that aircraft unless it is an approved type and-- . . . it has been packed by a certificated and appropriately rated parachute rigger-- (i) Within the preceding 120 days, if its canopy, shrouds, and harness are composed exclusively of nylon, rayon, or other similar synthetic fiber or materials that are substantially resistant to damage from mold, mildew, or other fungi and other rotting agents propagated in a moist environment; or . . .

While "available for emergency use" is undefined, I'm pretty sure a BASE rig that is accessible by cabin occupants would qualify.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Yes, and again you fail.

That CFR says nothing prohibiting a single harness/single container parachute.

Thanks though...

I'm pretty sure the "approved" portion of my quote just might be specifically defined somewhere. And what's with the "again"? I had not previously posted in this discussion.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Ah, the ignorance from those who don't know what is outside skydiving/Parachutist magazine.

Ah, the arrogance of those who think they know better than the people who had to study the regulations as part of their JOB...

BTW, I can't imagine skydiving is going to exist for the common man in 5 years... Think ahead...

Likely due to attitudes like yours of "fuck the regs, I'll do what I want".
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yea, all those $7,500 skydive rigs are really going to attract a new generation of skydivers with $35-40 jump tickets. Enjoy!

base still costs more*

*exluding potato land, maybe
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

billvon, did you also learn that 42" is a big PC for a King Air exit? I would use a more appropriate PC for close to terminal, such as a 32-36".

Everyone else, it's Flight Standards District Office (FSDO). It's often pronounced "fisdo" but there is no I. I also don't see why some other skydivers have such an issue with people jumping B.A.S.E. gear out of an airplane. It is reliable and safe, even if it's only got one parachute. I agree it's not the best choice for skydiving but it is for B.A.S.E. jumping. You should be checking everyone's data card if you care so much about the FARs being broken and making sure no one is overloading a reserve or jumping an out of date or pencil packed reserve. I would argue that if you want to pull low, a B.A.S.E. rig is the way to go on any jump.

boyd38off: If you want to let your friends jump out of your aircraft with a B.A.S.E. rig on go for it. You are probably not legal doing it without FAA approval and risking your FAA certificates. You can check with the local FSDO first if you want, people may have gotten FAA waivers to use B.A.S.E. gear out of aircraft in the past. Either that go by the motto: Beg for forgiveness not for permission. If you wanted to do it illegally, and you seem convinced that you can and get away with it, it's probably better if you don't post about it in public.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

I guarantee that no one from the FAA will ever allow an intentional jump from any aircraft (reguardless of type, eg. helicopter, balloon, glider, airplane etc.) without a fully certified and tested harness/container/reserve parachute system.

I will tell you though, if you got in any aircraft I was flying with a BASE rig on, You would be lucky to just get kicked off the airplane, more than likely you (or I) would get arrested.

I have an easy solution, PUT YOUR BASE CANOPY IN A RENTAL STUDENT RIG OR YOUR OWN SPORT RIG!!!!!! If you want to learn how the main flies, go jump it, in a certified rig.

Grow Up, stop being an ass.

The FAR's may not say anything about prohibiting it, but they also don't say it is approved either.

Because of the potential liability involved with flying people with illegal gear/booze/drugs etc., pilots like me are going to start demanding significantly more pay to do the job.

The other option is for pilots is to shut down every load, personally put everyone on a scale, check everyones repack card and do a gear inspection with a rigger present, give everyone a breath and piss test to ensure sobriety, do a weight and balance, preflight, check with flight service for a weather brief, then we can go. How long do you think that would last? Pilots won't want to fly jumpers anymore with the threat of losing their tickets because some childish ass want's to break the regs just because they feel like being rebellious.

Knock off the BS, try putting this much energy into doing it right instead of fighting for a way to do it wrong just for the sake of doing it wrong.
Airline Transport Pilot, Multi-Engine Land, DHC-8
Commercial Multi-Engine Sea, Single Engine Land
Private Glider

Because of the potential liability involved with flying people with illegal gear/booze/drugs etc., pilots like me are going to start demanding significantly more pay to do the job.

My local flying club rents their Cessna 152s for $90/hour plus fuel surcharge. The 182s start at $170/hour and I can't imagine what they'd charge for a Caravan, King Air, or Twin Otter.

The DZOs I've known actually PAID pilots to build time in their aircraft.

Where hour building options are "pay lots of money" or "pay nothing, get a free lunch, and something towards the gas it takes to get you to/from the airport" plenty of pilots will do what the DZOs ask them to.

With insurance requirements to fly twin turboprop aircraft at 1000 hours minimum, and the airlines were hiring with less than 300. This isn't the case anymore. (Not really in the context of the thread, so I'll save it for another time)
Airline Transport Pilot, Multi-Engine Land, DHC-8
Commercial Multi-Engine Sea, Single Engine Land
Private Glider