johnny1488

Pretty places to jump

Can anyone confirm, deny or comment on this part:

West Tennessee

The strongest adrenaline rush a novice skydiver can achieve is from a high-altitude, low-opening ("HALO") jump, which the military developed to surreptitiously drop soldiers behind enemy lines from above cloud cover. West Tennessee Skydiving in Lumberton, Miss., outside Memphis, Tenn., drops everyday civilians—even those who've never skydived—at a commercial airline-cruising altitude of 30,000 feet. Prepare for a two-day training which, for $3,495, will get you two minutes of freefall. And don't forget to shave—your thermal gear and oxygen systems need to be snug.

Related link: http://www.halojumper.net

Would be kinda cool (except for the LO:ph34r: of HALO) part if it is as described. But no thanks for $3,495.:S

it's certainly not a very good deal, being sold more on the exclusiveness of the offering in my opinion. Local DZ occasionally does 24k runs, tandems are $300 IIRC. I know the use of the O2 system and the extra 6k doesn't make it 11 times as exciting.

For a first time jumper doing a tandem to regular altitude, the stress, excitement, adrenaline is already pretty maxed out.

I did a 30k jump with these people at the 2006 WFFC. It was a nice experience and one of them gave me a case of beer for having to bump me off a load until the next day. ;)

The jump cost me 350$ including training and O2 equipment. A lot of money, agreed, but hey, it was my only way of trying this :)

HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

It was a few years ago but IIRC they had some guidelines to the tune of 150 jumps or something like that. IOW a fresh A-license probably wouldn't be good enough.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

There were 3 Tandem slots filled, the rest of the loads (2 day and 1 night) were full of up jumpers. They were packed with wait lists to get on as a solo! I flew down from Colorado for it. I know the tandems came from New York and Maryland.

The Tandem guys had raised 30k for charity.

It was a nice article and I guess that whilst they couldn't cover more locations it was a shame that they missed Empuria from the list.

Empuria is nice, but would not make my list. Cabo San Lucas, Mexico; Pitt Meadows, BC; Victoria BC; and Skydive Oregon all come in ahead of some of those locations.

Whats the requirements for a HALO jump? As in jump numbers/license or can a fresh A licensed jumper go straight up to 30k?

I'd wager that if there's a requirement, the USPA probably wrote it down somewhere. Perhaps in a book of some type that can be easily downloaded from their website in PDF format.

It was a nice article and I guess that whilst they couldn't cover more locations it was a shame that they missed Empuria from the list.

Empuria is nice, but would not make my list. Cabo San Lucas, Mexico; Pitt Meadows, BC; Victoria BC; and Skydive Oregon all come in ahead of some of those locations.

I don't have the benefit of going to any of those places but a quick search on the internet definitely backs up your point.

Skydance Skydiving in Davis, CA does 30,000 foot HALO jumps 1-2 times every year. There used to be a long story about it on their website, but I can't find it on there anymore. I haven't done it yet, but I believe they require a D license, FAA 3rd class medical, a chamber ride, a fresh shave, and no beans or booze the night before. I think the cost is somewhere around $400.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

I did my first jump at Skydive Cape Town http://www.patricklehner.net/sas/pictures/southafrica/smSkydiving30.jpg

I liked it so much I did a second tandem the following day.

Other places that come to mind:
Davis CA (cool patch work of vegetation)
Skydive New England (fall especially!)
Lake Elsinore - It's got a lake, it's got mountains, what more do you want?
Oh Skydive San Diego too! Lots of cool stuff to see plus lake and mountains :)
-Patrick

I still never tire of the view in freefall at Sebastian - but I'm basically a beach bum at heart.

Jumping over Long Island is neat, as you can see both the North Shore and the South Shore at the same time in freefall. Hey, I'm easily amused.