rgaray

I'm a Newbie - Why I'm Dissapointed

And some people (100 jumps) can get seriously injured (read near fatal) flying a Navigator 220; fully equipped with RSL and Cypres. :|

We put are selves at risk the moment we set foot on the plane, regardless of what rig we jump. If you want to be risk averse, don't jump.

Yupp, and if you noticed, I touched upon that, the low turns out of the blue. I'm not gonna quit the sport, I'm fully aware of the risks, just promoting safety, as I think we all should, no matter where we are in our skydiving careers. See ya tomorrow at the boogie Mark...

-R
---
"It takes courage to walk through the rain on a cold and foggy night, but it is those nights that dawn the most beautiful mornings."

To sum it up, I guess we can say that this sport is as dangerous or as a safe as we want to make it.

And that is the reason i hate statistics.

"you have a 1 in xxxx chance of dying on a skydive" just doesnt work, its individual.

As for your AAD comments, i couldn't afford one. Thats not a mentality its a reality of being broke. It just means i accept more risk and have to be a little more thorough on risk assessments.

Its a very easy thing to say "anyone can afford an AAD if they try" but that is not the reality and its usually the people in a better financial position who say it.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Maybe you missed where he said...

"KNOWING about it and therefore making themselves and everyone else around them vulnerable to unnecessary dangers."

I'm sure he "gets it". What he and I and soooo many others DON'T get is why the hell the bozos continue to put others at risk with their behavior.

Some posters mentioned adults making decisions for themselves. That's fine if your decision-making process involves an "adult" approach. What seems to be the major problem is decisions being made without the foundation of knowledge and awareness and more in tune with arrogance, ignorance and stupidity...NOT an adult approach.

Ignorance: Not knowing about it
Stupidity: Knowing about it and doing it anyway
Arrogance: Stupidity with an attitude.

To the OP:
Unfortunately, we can do only so much to regulate stupidity and we can only alleviate the ignorance if the person is listening and learning. The arrogance? Unfortunately, again, the only thing that seems to work with that is personal injury. Injury and death to others doesn't get through to the bozos.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I happened to enter the sport (End of May) where I witnessed a fatality at my home dropzone while I was doing my solo jumps. 2 weeks later, another fatality happened at a dropzone only 10 miles away, and as of late, someone ended up in the hospital in a ventilator who barely had 100 jumps.

The fatalities we've had this year....too many were unnecessary, and the trauma that I went through in the beginning stages of my skydiving career when I watched a dead body laying on the ground for 5 hours being surrounded by cops, skydivers, fire and coroners is something I will never forget.

I can especially understand how something like the Elsinore fatality would be upsetting, especially as you were/are a newbie. Most of us get to be around a little longer before seeing the worst thing happen, it was 2 and a half years before I actually saw somebody go in.

You do need to know that this was the first fatality at Elsinore in at least several years - I don't even KNOW when the last one was before this. And over at Perris, they had just gone 3 years without a death, which is pretty darn good for an operation of their size. Neither one of these accidents had to happen, both could have been prevented and both have caused a lot of broken hearts to families and friends. Both of these guys had high degrees of experience, so if nothing else they serve to remind us that it can happen to anybody and only has to happen once to be final and permanent.

As for letting someone lie out in the open for five hours, that's just disgraceful. There's no excuse and I can only suppose that the public officials did it out of their own hyperinflated sense of self importance. It's disrespectful.

As a newbie, your dedication to safety is commendable, if a bit rigid in the particulars. I think with time you will have a more flexible outlook on the details, but I hope the underlying spirit stays strong with you. This sport can will never be completely safe, but it can be kept reasonably safe.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

As a newbie, your dedication to safety is commendable, if a bit rigid in the particulars. I think with time you will have a more flexible outlook on the details, but I hope the underlying spirit stays strong with you. This sport can will never be completely safe, but it can be kept reasonably safe.

Well said, Tom.

Skydiving is pretty simple. Start with what you learned as student

1) Pull
2) Pull at a safe altitude
3) Pull stable

# 1 & # 2 are allright. # 3, is incorrect. If you wait until 500' AGL or until your stable, you'll be in a bind. "Pull at you assigned altitude, stable or not."

Um...thats why they are in the order he put them.
Someday Never Comes

Um...thats why they are in the order he put them.

What he wrote can be taken a few ways. What he left out was that those things are ordered as priorites. I think that was the point of the correction. You understand that there was an order to the list because you were taught that there was an order. Someone poorly trained or who didn't pay enough attention to their training would not have known. Right?

Not an attempt to nit-pick the OP. It's just a fact that sometimes in our sport the devil really is in the details.
Owned by Remi #?

>on top of that, they didn't have an RSL or a Skyhook, and to top that
>off, some didn't even have a Cypress.

>What's up with this retarded trend?

It's actually the opposite trend. When I started, no one had cypreses or skyhooks and most people did not have RSL's. The trend has been towards more and more gadgets as time has gone on.

>Why do some people ride their canopies at half brakes without
>unstowing until a few hundred feet above or below the hard deck? Is it
>because they're too lazy to hold the steering lines for 3-4 minutes?

No, it's more often because:

1) they have a problem to deal with (line twist etc)
2) they have something else to do (talk to a student, get their booties off)
3) they are doing other tricks to make it back (spreading risers) that are easier to do while brakes are stowed

>Why do you undo your chest strap? Because you want to be a little
>more comfortable under canopy?

Because you get slightly better performance from your parachute.

>If you're at 100-300 feet and the wind suddenly changes on you and
>you find yourself landing downwind, why, do some people go making
>180 degree turns?

Well, I might if it worked with the pattern and I really wanted to land into the wind. It's doable but you have to know what you're doing.

>Why do some skydivers jump their rig without a cypress?

Lots of reasons. They may not be able to afford both jumping and a cypres, they may have little need for one (i.e. swoopers) or they may be doing something (like an intentional cutaway) where it could be more problem than help.

>"I had to sell mine because I needed the money"....and all I can think
>is, what kind of a mentality is that?

It might be a mentality that currency is more important than a cypres (which is often true.)

>If there is a system available for you out there to INCREASE your
>chances of surviving, whether it's a cypress or a skyhook, or even a
>hook knife, why jump a rig without it?

Because most systems that can save your life can also kill you, for one reason.

>I've made a promise to myself that no matter what, at 100 or 1000
>jumps, I am still going to do the exact same procedures every single
>time, rig check, mind check, pull handles, unstow breaks right after
>deployment and look absolutely everywhere around me for people that
>want to kill me, period.

I very much hope this is not true throughout your skydiving career. You MUST do different gear checks when you are using a wingsuit. You MUST fly differently after opening when you are doing a bigway, and often that changes from bigway to bigway. Your procedures will change with time as you start doing different sorts of jumps and use different types of gear.

>Yet, can you blame me and others that are just getting started for
>being so pissed off and annoyed at all these things that are happening
>to this sport . . .

Keep in mind that others may have a wider perspective on the sport. That is not to say yours is wrong; yours is as valid as everyone else's. Just be open to seeing why people are doing things you may disagree with at first.

>The fatalities we've had this year....too many were unnecessary, and
>the trauma that I went through in the beginning stages of my skydiving
>career when I watched a dead body laying on the ground for 5 hours
>being surrounded by cops, skydivers, fire and coroners is something I
>will never forget.

Even one is "too many" - but you will see more as you progress through skydiving no matter what people do with their gear and their awareness. Fatalities are part of this sport (unfortunately) since the sky is very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity and neglect. Whether or not it is worth it to you even with all those fatalities is up to you.

>Can we please make each jump as if it was our first?

And do a static line from 3000 feet with an SOS system, a balky mechanical AAD and a round reserve? No thanks!

I know what you mean - keep our vigilance up and don't become complacent. I agree, that's critical at any level of skydiving.