leski

how to travel overseas with my gear????

Fly with it as checked baggage in a suitcase of its own. Trying to go as carry-on is going to cause you problems on the flights you mentioned. I don’t have the highest jump numbers on this post, but I have taken my rig to differing countries on six continents. Of course carry on your logbook and licenses as insurance cannot replace those.

The X-ray card from Airtec GmbH (Cypres) and the safety letter from the US DOT may prove helpful, but in the past six years no one has ever asked to see either of mine.

Also if the rig is on its own in a separate bag, most airlines will class it as sports equipment which is usually a fixed amount as opposed to paying by weight if you have a lot of luggage.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

I have flown with my rig to Europe and all over the states and have never had an issue with it. (I fly 40 to 50 times per year, for what that is worth). I have carried it on a few times, but have usually checked it inside a large duffel with jumpsuits and clothes wrapped around the outside to protect the pins and handles. Just let TSA or whoever is looking at your bags know that there is an "electronical AAD that opens your reserve parachute" and give a very brief explanation what it does. Leave out words like "charged cutter", etc. I've never used the card-but it is also an option. My experience has been that they have heard of the device and have never seen one-usually the security people are very excited and call their coworkers over to look at it. Cameras I carry on in a Lowe Alpine camera back pack, helmets I pad inside and out and stow in duffels as well. Hope this helps.
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

When carrying it on, should one put it in a bag or just wear it?

I think the main reason for putting it in a bag is so that your rig won't get messed with. Accidental deployment of the reserve would suck in an overhead.

Maybe the experienced people could confirm/deny. ;)

When carrying it on, should one put it in a bag or just wear it?

I think the main reason for putting it in a bag is so that your rig won't get messed with. Accidental deployment of the reserve would suck in an overhead.

Maybe the experienced people could confirm/deny. ;)

Definitely not experienced - but i would imagine putting it in a bag so other people don't start thinking "why is that person wearing a parachute?....is he planning on being the only survivor when he bombs the plane...?"

people love to cause drama and jump to conclusions...just throwing that out there.
She did not know that she could not fly so she did.

Spread your arms and hold your breath and always trust your cape