jamiem

First Chop!

So yesterday I had my first cutaway, on my 80th jump, on my first 12 way RW. And yes...I bought beer. :)

We did a pretty decent 12 way, tracked away at 4,500 and after that is where things get a little confusing.

I'm not sure what altitude I pulled at. I know my parachute opened with major line twists, slider above them, and the main wasn't fully inflated. I looked at my altimeter at that moment and it was 2,000. Well 2 is my harddeck so I decided to cut.

I remember hesitating for one minute thinking "Shit!!! What do I do now?!" But then I pulled my cutaway handle and threw it...no idea why I didn't save it! Then I don't remember my reserve deploying. I do have an RSL but I felt like I waited forever to feel it, and then I pulled my reserve handle...I did save that one. (Btw, after inspection from my rigger, my RSL did deploy my reserve.)

Then a beautiful pink reserve opened! This was it's first ride! As soon as it opened I looked again at my altimeter and it was 1,500. I had a great landing on it. I tried to spot my main and free bag but I couldn't. One of the girls on the jump actually landed a little out with it and brought it back. My free bag is still laying in a muddy field with crop that is like 6 feet tall. Couldn't locate that. :(

So I know I should have looked at my altimeter when I countered to pull. I'm not sure if the line twists were my pack job, or my body position when I pulled, or both.

I thanked my rigger, and he had me ready to go in about an hour and a half again. Also, another girl on the load saw my canopy and said that it was a good thing I cut because I probably wouldn't have been able to kick out of the line twists.

And now I feel GREAT that I have cutaway and that I did the right things! ;)

Good job on saving your life!! :)
Next time don't wait for your RSL to deploy your reserve - pull red, pull silver.

I had my first chop on jump #52. It is nice to get the first one out of the way so you know you can do it.

Cheers! :D

"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

I am glad to hear that you got past the "on shit" moment of your skydive. I congratulate you on your appropriate response.

I have not had a cut away. I often fear that I will think too long instead of just doing what needs to be done. I trust my training and my instructors. It is me and my mystery reserve that I am not as sure of. (I have never seen the reserve, I bought it new and they created it and delivered it to my rigger, I have to trust that it is really exists.) I have been known to over think things. It is nice to know that the training becomes automatic.