shibbayshib

jump run altitudes

I was just wondering how a dzo determines at what altitude jump run will be for their dz? I'm guessing the type of plane and airspace class would be factors but I don't know either how much the climb rate of a plane decreases after a certain altitude or how the airspace classes work. Anyone?[:/]

Watch out for the big banana.

Its all money. They will jump from whatever altitude makes them the most money. Anything less than 12-13k is not considered full altitude, so they will loose points there, but if the price is right people will come. Some places make their altitude 15k, because they have king airs and its only another 30-60 seconds extra. Small extra cost, but it brings people from afar. If you have enough dough, you can get whatever altitude you want.

It's not always "money."
Our DZ is adjacent to (actually in the middle of) the RNAV system for the internaional airport, and we're just inside the 25 mile radius. No matter what, we cannot cross 18kMSL without clearance, which is not given.
Our DZ is at 4200MSL. Additionally, some aircraft don't perform well beyond certain altitudes. Ask the pilots of the Skyvan at Lost Prairie for another example.

Aircraft type is a huge factor at Cessna DZs. Most C-206 don't fly worth a shit above about 7K. A Cessna will get you to 13K, but it's not really worth it if you're going 100fpm for the last 3000ft[:/].

I got nuthin

Its all money.

Is that profile correct? If so, it shows in that comment.

Business in general is "all about the money." If a business does not make money, guess how long it will keep the doors open.

Anyway, there's a lot more to jump altitude than "it's all about the money." Piston aircraft make less power as the airplane climbs, just watch the manifold pressure gauge. By the time a Cessna piston gets to around 11,000/12,000' it's climbing at less than 300 fpm, and it's simply not financially viable to climb higher. In laymens terms, it would take an additional 20 to 30 minutes to get to 15,000' msl.

Have you taken your "B" test? One of the questions regards at what altitude is the pilot required to have supplemental oxygen, regardless of time. Answer: 14,000' msl, granted we bust this FAR every time the airplane goes to 15,000' msl.

Above Flight Level 18 (18,000' msl adjusted to standardized pressure) an IFR flight plan is required, in addition to the O2 for everyone obviously.

Then there's the boobie factor, but that's all about the money so I won't go into it.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

At a recent factory training course, the instructor asked: What causes hypoxia."

All I could answer was: "Shell in the right seat of an Otter at the Prairie."
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

At a recent factory training course, the instructor asked: What causes hypoxia."

All I could answer was: "Shell in the right seat of an Otter at the Prairie."

I don't know Shell, but if she's fairly well endowed, and allowed you to bury your face in there for a while, you just may experience a little hypoxia!
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ